Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re-Install W10 Failure

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 jimlau

jimlau

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:57 AM

I am using the same bootable windows 10 installation thumb drive to do a clean install of windows 10. I've done it multiple times in recent days. However, suddenly when doing it again I get this error:

"your pc/device needs to be repaired. the boot configuration data does not contain valid information for an operating system"

Anyone know what could have happened, and how to resolve this? Not sure I can boot from the thumb drive and access any repair modes. I did disconnect all other drives.

Oddly this bootable thumb drive does work on my other computer.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:24 PM

If it has been awhile since you installed Windows 10 then download the Media Creation Tool on another Windows 7 or later computer and create another bootable USB.

Please confirm. Open a command prompt and type

diskpart

list disk

Is there an asterisk under the GPT column? If yes boot the USB install media and at the screen where it asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands. Only do this if your personal data has been backed up.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X     Where X is the number associated with the disk you will be installing Windows to. On a single drive system this would be zero. 

clean                 Deletes all existing partitions. All data will be erased and sets up the drive for a clean install

convert GPT     Only do this command if you have a GPT disk as noted in the previous commands. You can also determine if you have a GPT disk in Disk Management

exit                     exits diskpart

exit                     exits command prompt

continue with the install

#3 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:30 PM

First, check it on a different computer. Then you will see if it is faulty or not.
But why such a title that does not match the content?

#4 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:34 PM

If it has been awhile since you installed Windows 10 then download the Media Creation Tool on another Windows 7 or later computer and create another bootable USB.

Please confirm. Open a command prompt and type

diskpart

list disk

Is there an asterisk under the GPT column? If yes boot the USB install media and at the screen where it asks for language press Shift + F10. This will open a command prompt. Type the following commands. Only do this if your personal data has been backed up.

diskpart

list disk

select disk X     Where X is the number associated with the disk you will be installing Windows to. On a single drive system this would be zero. 

clean                 Deletes all existing partitions. All data will be erased and sets up the drive for a clean install

convert GPT     Only do this command if you have a GPT disk as noted in the previous commands. You can also determine if you have a GPT disk in Disk Management

exit                     exits diskpart

exit                     exits command prompt

continue with the install

I can only do this if my thumb drive works, right? As of now I can't access anything in boot up to give commands to.

Where do I open a command prompt?

#5 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:36 PM

First, check it on a different computer. Then you will see if it is faulty or not.
But why such a title that does not match the content?

As stated above, I tried the drive on another computer and it worked.

The title is as is because I can't install W10. If the thumb drive doesn't work, I thought maybe there was another way to do a clean install, maybe with a second drive that has windows 10 on it.

#6 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:50 AM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:50 PM

As stated above, I tried the drive on another computer and it worked.
The title is as is because I can't install W10. If the thumb drive doesn't work, I thought maybe there was another way to do a clean install, maybe with a second drive that has windows 10 on it.

If You say so, then Your thumb drive works, but your computer not works.
Tell, does this computer currently works somehow or don't work at all.
Is there for example DVD drive or not.
Even, if it doesn't work at all, You must have possible to enter the BIOS. Is it possible?
Give a bit info, what the current situation and what the computer at all.

#7 jimlau

jimlau
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

Success! I created another bootable drive and it works. I created it on the computer I will be installing on. So my problem must have been either my original installation thumb drive got corrupted, or it matters which computer I make the thumb drive on. I would guess not the latter. Guess it got corrupted.

Thanks for all input.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,280 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:37 PM

Sorry, I thought the USB could boot but once you tried to install you got the error. What is the make and model of the computer?

Edited by JohnC_21, 20 August 2017 - 02:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users