Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Linux Ubuntu 9.10 to Linux Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Commodore64

Commodore64

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 09:29 AM

I downloaded Linux Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS and it is now in my Downloads folder.

The filename is ubuntu-16.04.2-desktop-amd64.iso. It takes up 1.4 GB.

What should I do next to get it working?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gary R

Gary R

MRU Admin

• Malware Response Team
  • 821 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:12 AM

To make a jump of this kind (9.10 to 16.04) you're going to have to perform a reinstall.

In which case ....

1. Make sure your new install is compatible with your existing hardware.
  2. Back up your personal files and folders to external media so that you can transfer them to your new install once it's complete.

Once that's done, you need to create a bootable USB drive, using the iso file you've downloaded, and then use it to install your new version of Ubuntu

See .... https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-create-a-usb-stick-on-ubuntu#0 ... and ...  https://tutorials.ubuntu.com/tutorial/tutorial-install-ubuntu-desktop#0

#3 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,290 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:57 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:29 AM

or you can burn the .iso to a DVD. Either way- and boot from the LIVE DVD-

#4 Commodore64

Commodore64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:33 PM

Hi Gary. I tried both your links, but I couldn't get the computer to boot from USB. It just gave me the C: prompt. I tried following their instructions, but my version of Ubuntu was too outdated. Thanks anyway.

C64

#5 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,313 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:08 PM

Hallo, C64.

I wouldn't give up that easy, mate. You may have your heart set on using Ubuntu (especially if you're already used to it.....though I fancy you'll find a few things have changed since Karmic Koala. Ooh, it gives me goose-bumps hearing that name again...  :P )

What's your hardware like.....so we've got like a 'ballpark' idea of what you're using? CPU, RAM, HDD, graphics, etc? Even better, if you could give us an 'inxi' output. (If you haven't got it, do a quick

sudo apt-get install inxi

...then run 'inxi -fx' (is that right, guys?); that'll give us a readout of your hardware.)

Xenial Xerus may be asking too much of your hardware, though inxi will help here. With the 100's of distros there are out there, gotta be something that'll work with what you've got..!

Mike.  :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#6 Commodore64

Commodore64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:41 PM

Hi, Mike. Thanks for the info. I tried doing a sudo apt-get install inxi, and it did a few things, but wouldn't recognize inxi. When I tried to run inxi -fx, it still wouldn't recognize inxi.

Anyway, it's a complete HP system, except for the MFC, which is a Brother MFC-J625DW, and 2 Logitech speakers.

The CPU is an Intel Pentium dual core @ 2.40 GHz / 800 MHz. It has 1024 KB of RAM, and 500 GB on the HDD. It has VGA graphics.

The computer is an HP Pavilion, and I plugged in an HP 32 GB USB mem stick and an HP 64 GB mem stick.

I finally found the Control Center, and attached to it was the USB Startup Disk Creator. I decided to use it, and entered the file in Downloads as the source disk, and the 32 GB mem stick as the destination disk. I pressed Format on the mem stick, and after that, the 32 GB icon disappeared from the screen, and I haven't been able to get it back. I tried putting it in a different USB port, but the icon stayed hidden, so I put it back beside the 64 GB mem stick, but it didn't help - the icon stayed hidden. I hope this gives you an idea of the hardware in my system. Your help is greatly appreciated.

C64

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,738 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

How about the HP Model Number, but not the Serial Number, that is to be kept to you for security.

The command Mike was telling you to use is

inxi -Fz

Copy Paste it so you get it right, Capitol "F"

Then at top of Terminal > Edit > Select All > Edit > Copy > and Paste it into your next post.

Edited by pcpunk, 21 August 2017 - 09:01 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#8 Commodore64

Commodore64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 10:47 AM

I tried to install inxi with sudo apt-get install inxi, but it wouldn't recognize the filename inxi. inxi -Fz didn't work.

I found out my HP Pavilion Model #: a6838f

C64

#9 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 01:00 PM

I tried to install inxi with sudo apt-get install inxi, but it wouldn't recognize the filename inxi. inxi -Fz didn't work.

I found out my HP Pavilion Model #: a6838f

C64

Here's your specs. based on the above model number.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01690218

I don't believe that your graphics adapter Integrated graphics using Intel GMA 3100 is going to run Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus.

I would either recommend.

Xubuntu 16.04

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/xubuntu/releases/16.04/release/

Lubuntu 16.04

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/lubuntu/releases/16.04/release/

My choice would be Linux Mint 18 Sarah Xfce as it it known by most here on Bleeping Computers Forums.

https://www.linuxmint.com/release.php?id=27

Just my 2 cents worth.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#10 Commodore64

Commodore64
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

Thanks, Toolman. I'll take your 2 cents worth of advice and try to upgrade to Mint 18 Sarah.

C64

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,738 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 03:21 PM

My choice would be Linux Mint 18 Sarah Xfce as it it known by most here on Bleeping Computers Forums.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Is there a reason you choose the older version 18.0?

Here is the newest version Link 18.2 pick the Mirror closest to you and your all set. LinuxMintXfce

Or, if it were me, would try Mint Mate First.  Although I have not tried the new Xfce, Mate has always been better for most situations.  It comes with more tools etc. already installed, and Feels like a more Traditional Desktop, maybe more like Windoz.  If it runs to slow then you would go to Xfce.  It's always best to test these via USB if possible, or else you will think they are slow.

Make sure Wifi works if you need it, If it don't then make sure you have Ethernet so that you can install needed drivers and Update the system.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 08:47 PM

Just my 2 cents worth.

Is there a reason you choose the older version 18.0?

Yes as I know it works and I know it to be a solid working Linux Distro on all hardware new and old I've installed it on.

I have Linux Mint 18 Xfce installed and right OOTB working without any problems on a 2006 HP m7267c media tower and that is more than I can say about the later releases of Linux Mint 18.1 / 18.2.

Remember I don't have all of this new computer hardware that most users have on this Linux forum so I stay with a sure thing as Linux Mint 4.4.XX  LTS kernel that works.

Later kernels as 4.8 / 4.10 and so on aren't long term kernels where 4.4 kernels are LTS kernels.

First release Linux Distros are true LTS Linux Distros without all of the short lived kernels and HWE stack crap.

I don't have many problems with my computers or my Linux Distros I use. :nono:

Use which ever one you want I'll stick with a sure thing all of the time. :thumbsup:

Life is Good. :wink:

Edited by The-Toolman, 22 August 2017 - 10:18 PM.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#13 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:14 PM

Thanks, Toolman. I'll take your 2 cents worth of advice and try to upgrade to Mint 18 Sarah.

C64

I would create a bootable DVD or USB which ever you have most experiance with.

I've used both formats and have better luck sometimes using a DVD as I mentioned earlier I'm using an 11 year computer.

Here is some documentation for Linux Mint Cinnamon although the install part should work for any Linux Mint version.

https://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php

As pc punk mentioned earlier Linux Mint Mate is also a good choice I just prefer Linux Mint Xfce although you can;t go wrong with either choice.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,738 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:02 AM

Yes as I know it works and I know it to be a solid working Linux Distro on all hardware new and old I've installed it on.

Gotcha, I always go with the newest unless I know it won't work, or when advising the new to linux, best to go with what's known to work.  I still believe 17.3 is an anvil and if you have all Intel it will work like a champ, especially with old Vista stuff.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,261 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:53 AM

Hey pc,

All of the LM 17 series are anvils as they have been around and have most if not all of the bugs worked out and with the old kernel will support old hard as mine.

I just figured since LM 18 is working 100% on my old 2006 HP desktop Intel Pentium D 820 Smithfield and ATI Radeon X600/X600 SE with 4.0GB ram and no problems why change as I have total support until 2021.

This old desktop was I believe one of the last Windows XP desktops as Vista was released sometime in 2006.

You never know what works until you give it a try and that is the cool adventure of Linux if this one doesn't work try the next one and so on.

Old Computers and Hardware Rocks. :thumbsup:

The Toolman :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users