Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virus Burst Comment

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 flyeguy

flyeguy

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:48 PM

i run AVG software by Grisoft,& it seems to be doing ok.
however to-day i was infected by the Virus Burst program,but thanks to your wonderful site was able to get rid of the nasty thing.
i ran a AVG scan,but it did not even pick up the problem??nothing!!
now i am considering getting rid of the AVG program,& looking for another anti -spyware program.
would this be wise,or is AVG a good program?
my question is this,why did it not pick up the problem?is this normal?
& can you recommend an anti-spyware program.
i know theres a lot out there,just trying to locate a RELIABLE program.
once again,many thanks for youe help.you guys are the best.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,990 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:05 PM

Check out these two links to help you decide.

http://antivirus.about.com/od/antivirussof.../a/freeav_2.htm

The Final Scores
If we left spyware/adware removal out of the mix and focused only on the scanner's ability to detect traditional virus threats, out of a possible 125.6 points, AntiVir PersonalEdition Classic scored 94, AVAST 4 Home Edition scored 89, and AVG Free Edition scored 66. However, when we included adware/spyware removal in the judging, the results were dismal, with AVAST scoring highest at 66 points, AntiVir following at 58, and AVG with only 30.

http://www.dozleng.com/updates/index.php?s...c=10979&hl=

Summary of Results:
AntiVir detected 79 out of 170 infections/risks. 11 False positives. 26 infections found in Drive C, 53 infections in Drive D.
Avast! detected 104 out of 170 infections/risks. 1 False positive. 27 infections found in Drive C, 77 infections in Drive D.
Active Virus Shield detected 157 out of 170 infections/risks. No False positives. 30 infections found in Drive C, 127 infections in Drive D.
AVG detected 8 out of 170 infections/risks. No False positives. 0 infection found in Drive C, 8 infections in Drive D.

Edited by buddy215, 15 September 2006 - 08:22 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 flyeguy

flyeguy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:59 PM

thanks for your swift reply buddy.
i have used AntiVir before,in fact most of the time,it's a great program as proved by the results.
so i'm going back to using that program.
the numbers don't lie!!
once again,thanks for your input .appreciate it.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,990 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:18 AM

You're Welcome. I have AVG installed now for maybe 2 years. It has never blinked or anything other than update itself. I occassionally (once a month or so) scan with another AV. Stopped doing the daily AV scans with AVG a year ago. Using Firefox with NoScript extension and avoiding high risk uses of the computer, is what I most rely on to keep malware off this comp. I also have Spybot/with Teatimer, WinPatrol, and Spyware Blaster.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users