Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HD7750 Fan stops during Windows 10 login load + blue screen.

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Mirrodin

Mirrodin

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 07:56 AM

Hi guys,

Specs:
Motherboard: ASUS M4N78, 8Gb
Power supply: CX750
GPU: HD7750, 2G, DDR3

I switch on. Everything's good. No errors from motherboard. Bios checks good. RAM good.
Windows login loading screen appears (cyan Window symbol and swirly white dots)
GPU fan going like the clappers. I can feel the circuitry getting quite hot already.

Fan stops. Blank blue screen.

Interesting that the fan takes shorter time to stop if I cycle the power several times in succession. If I leave it for 10 minutes with the GPU board taken out then reconnect and turn on it almost makes it to actual login screen before stopping.

So the power supply should be more than enough right? This isn't a high spec GPU.

This all started happening this morning after about 3 years of running tickety boo....as in fine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:00 AM

sounds like your GPU is overheating,

the reason why it takes shorter time to stop each time is because its still hot,

i would suggest removing the GPU board and cleaning the heat sink and fan, ideally you should remove them from the board to do so if you feel comfortable doing that

Edited by mikey11, 20 August 2017 - 08:02 AM.

#3 Mirrodin

Mirrodin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 08:25 AM

Hi thanks Mikey.

Unscrewed cleaned underneath. Cleaned fan. No change.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:04 AM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#5 Mirrodin

Mirrodin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:53 AM

Huh?

I can see you've gone to a lot of trouble creating this post. Maybe it was meant for someone else. I thought "blue screen" would have made it clear that the OS functionality is redundant since I can't see anything?

#6 Mirrodin

Mirrodin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 07:55 AM

And what is all that supposed to do anyway or is this some lame attempt to promote your software?
I'm an ex software engineer and can't see what any of that has to with my GPU failing...

#7 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:07:12 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:16 AM

And what is all that supposed to do anyway or is this some lame attempt to promote your software?
I'm an ex software engineer and can't see what any of that has to with my GPU failing...

well i guess your smarter then us all,

so why bother asking questions here?

surely a software engineer should be able to diagnose and fix their own problems.....see ya

#8 Mirrodin

Mirrodin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 09:54 AM

Wow. If I thought I was going to be met with such hostility and judgementalism I wouldn't have bothered. I thanked you for your help. I followed your advice. I showed appreciation the effort it must have taken for the next guy that tried to help. Have you even read the post? Is this a help forum or not?

Obviously I'm missing some major insight and can't see the connection between a GPU fan stopping, blue screen and then being told to download some software to analyse the partitions of my hardrive. Maybe you or anyone can educate me here?

Or does no one moderate these forums...?

#9 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:06 AM

did you pull the heatsink off the gpu?  if you so you need to clean old thermal paste and apply new thermal paste to it.  if you didn't pull the heatsink then you probably should

pull it, clean it and then apply new thermal paste.   you probably lost the thermal bond from the heatsink to the gpu and this is what's causing the overheating.

now if you have done this already then it's time for a new graphics card!

yeah and I laughed when the suggestion to run software was posted also!  can't do it if you can't get to the desktop.   some people are like robots and don't read a post and just

follow procedures because they have became robots.

#10 Mirrodin

Mirrodin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

Hey mightywiz, thank you. Yeah I did see a kind of smear of thermal paste. Not sure how much is enough. But there was a relatively small patch of no paste. I'll try putting some new paste on and see. Let you know. Thanks for the help.

#11 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,270 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:32 PM

well i guess your smarter then us all,

so why bother asking questions here?

surely a software engineer should be able to diagnose and fix their own problems.....see ya

Actually most software engineers I have dealt with understand very little and have very little hands on experience when it comes to troubleshooting hardware failures at a component level.

If you can't access a BIOS display screen and have no display than I would have say your graphics card is dead or your monitor is dead or your cable(s) and or anything else in between the monitor and computer is a bad.

Does your graphics card require any external (4,6,8) pin power connectors to power it or does it receive all of its power via the PCIE slot.

Edited by The-Toolman, 21 August 2017 - 03:38 PM.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#12 Mirrodin

Mirrodin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:46 PM

I'm sure there are plenty you haven't dealt with as they number in the millions.

Anyway.

Tested the cable. Tested the HDMI port in the TV and the GPU. Tested the power to the GPU. All good. There is a current going into the controller but since my hardware knowledge is limited I will try the paste since it's quite inexpensive.

If you read my post again more slowly you'll notice I describe the Windows login screen so the graphics card is definitely not dead. Not yet anyway. I've only worked side by side with a handful of hardware engineers, very talented ones, and found them all very good company and very problem solvers when it comes to hardware and electronicy things that get hot. I'm ok with home made science projects like mini robots with 9v batteries or making fire with steel wool and a battery or rockets with baking soda when I'm working as a teacher but I've did get my head around resistors and capacitors. I know what they do but the quantum world of electrons is utterly fascinating and baffling to me.

#13 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,270 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 03:57 PM

I'm sure there are plenty you haven't dealt with as they number in the millions.

Don't Take my comment as an insult as it wasn't meant to be only meant as most software engineers I have dealt with only have knowledge about software.

Edited by The-Toolman, 21 August 2017 - 04:13 PM.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#14 Mirrodin

Mirrodin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:07 PM

I didn't. I was being ironic. It just doesn't convey very well online. Sorry. It would all be very boring if we just said (in a robot voice)

10 Post to forum "my thing is broken"
20 if soloution = true then exit
Else
Go to 10
30 end

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,270 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

Can you enter the bios display screen.

If so then that will tell the working condition of the graphics card and monitor.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users