Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bluestacks crashes laptop

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Falneth

Falneth

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 PM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:41 AM

I am having issues with my laptop running BlueStacks, version 0.10.7.5601.  I recently installed a SSD as my boot drive and am using the SSHD that came with it as a data drive. I tried to run the most recent version of Bluestacks 3 (ran without Bluescreening but kept going black in app player) - uninstalled and put old version back on and immediately began blue screening again. This older version of bluestacks ran just fine last week. I got BlueStacks to work with my current setup. However, I'm not sure what i did to kill it while I was tweaking my settings for my SSD and SSHD. I'm don't even remember what settings I tweaked so I can undo them.

· OS - Windows 8.1, 8, 7, Vista ? - Windows 7
· x86 (32-bit) or x64 ? - X64
· What was original installed OS on system? - Windows 10 Pro
· Is the OS an OEM version (came pre-installed on system) or full retail version (YOU purchased it from retailer)? - Full Retail
· Age of system (hardware) - 1 year
· Age of OS installation - have you re-installed the OS? - 2 weeks OS age, have reinstalled multiple times.

· CPU - Intel Core i7
· Video Card - Nvidia Geforce GTX 950m
· MotherBoard - (if NOT a laptop) - N/A
· Power Supply - brand & wattage (skip if laptop)

· System Manufacturer - Dell
· Exact model number (if laptop, check label on bottom) - Inspiron 7559

· Laptop or Desktop? - Laptop

A.A.S in Computer and Network Support from Crowder College

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 3,024 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 PM

Posted 23 August 2017 - 09:18 PM

Hi, Falneth, :)

When you followed the BSOD posting instructions, it should have asked you to run a program called the "Sysnative File Collection App". Will you please follow the instructions carefully and attach the output ZIP file here in your next reply? :)

Thanks.

Regards,
bwv848

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 Falneth

Falneth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 06:15 AM

My apologies. I had run the SysnativeApp but had apparently forgotten to click the attach button even though I had selected it to be attached. Here is the zip file.

Attached Files

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 08:44 PM

Hi,

First of all, please uninstall DAEMON Tools Lite. Its driver(s) are well known for causing BSODs. If you still need it however, please update the program (reinstalling it would be best).

Any idea what's this error about in Device Manager?

Not Available    ACPI\MSFT0101\1    This device is disabled.
From the two dump Driver Verifier dump files, an Intel graphics driver was blamed. It's ugly to post analysis, as I am getting symbol errors. :(  Did you turn on Driver Verifier by accident? Anyway, please turn it off and see whether if you still encounter BSODs. If you do, go ahead and reinstall your graphics drivers:

-download your Intel Graphics drivers from here
-uninstall "Intel HD Graphics" from the Control Panel
-reboot
-run the installation package you downloaded earlier
-reboot and continue to monitor for BSODs

If BSODs still continue, run DELL's hardware diagnostics (run the FULL test) and these third-party hardware diagnostics. Please run ALL the third-party tests  (especially the RAM, HDD, and video tests).

Regards,
bwv848

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 Falneth

Falneth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 07:34 PM

bwv, 

I need a virtual disk drive since my laptop does not come with a physical one. I know for a fact that Daemon tools lite is not what caused these BSODs simply because it was installed right after I reinstalled the OS and never had BSOD until now.

The error about the device in device manager is about a device that Windows 7 is not able to access. My laptop originally came with Windows 10 on it, which is able to access the device. Yes I have looked for a Windows 7 driver for it but there is not one.

I never once turned on driver verifier. I even tried to turn it off but it stated that "No settings were changed" so I know that it wasn't on to begin with. I did reinstall the Intel Graphics Drivers, however as soon as I launched Bluestacks, it immediately BSOD'd me. 

Seeing as this is a relatively new install, I am going to go ahead and wipe the computer and start from scratch once again. My desktop, which is set up very nearly the exact same way (ssd for OS + hdd for Data), has not had any of these issues when loading ANY programs, including this version of BlueStacks. I know it was a change I made to my laptop which I cannot undo without knowing what it was. 

So, thanks for  your help.

Edited by Falneth, 26 August 2017 - 07:34 PM.

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 10:37 AM

A fresh reinstall sounds great. It's usually what I recommend to define the line between hardware and software issues.

#7 Falneth

Falneth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 01:37 AM

Ok... I completely wiped both hard drives. I reinstalled Windows on my SSD. I did the process of moving my Users folders off the SSD over to the HDD. I ran several Windows updates, installed all the required drivers, and have installed only a few pieces of software (mainly games). Of the software I have installed, the version of Bluestacks that I want was one of them. Everything has been running smooth until this morning. I am at work, was connected to our wireless and suddenly Chrome and BlueStacks stopped connecting to the internet. I know we have internet access still so I decided to do a simple reboot of my system. When I initiated the reboot, up popped Windows updates configuring the latest round of updates. Once that completed and my laptop restarted, the WiFi reconnected perfectly. However, as soon as I launched BlueStacks, it began the BSOD cycle again. I am seriously about to pull my hair out here because this makes absolutely zero sense to me: it works fine, I reboot the computer and updates get installed, then it acts up again.

The Speccy scan of my computer is here:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/ZMrPKKXLCDVTWlLaTuQWmJq

I ran the full Dell Diagnostic test like you told me before and everything passed.

Attached Files

Edited by Falneth, 30 August 2017 - 02:23 AM.

#8 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:07 AM

Hi,

Not surprising that you ran in to BSODs again. :)

From the uploaded reports, we have two bugchecks:

STOP 0x000000C4: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION
STOP 0x00000124: WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR  

The first dump with the 0xC4 bugcheck clearly indicates that your Intel graphics is again clearly at fault:

1: kd> knL
 # Child-SP          RetAddr           Call Site
00 fffff880`0c5f7e18 fffff800`02e7ae7a nt!KeBugCheckEx
01 fffff880`0c5f7e20 fffff800`02efb393 nt! ?? ::FNODOBFM::`string'+0x47d4
02 fffff880`0c5f7e60 fffff800`02efe96a nt!RtlDispatchException+0x33
03 fffff880`0c5f8540 fffff800`02edba41 nt!RtlRaiseStatus+0x4e
04 fffff880`0c5f8ae0 fffff880`057f95b7 nt!KeReleaseMutant+0x281
05 fffff880`0c5f8b90 fffff880`00000000 igdkmd64+0x1d05b7
06 fffff880`0c5f8b98 00000000`00000001 0xfffff880`00000000
07 fffff880`0c5f8ba0 fffffa80`0f3ae000 0x1
08 fffff880`0c5f8ba8 00000000`00000000 0xfffffa80`0f3ae000
1: kd> lm k vm igdkmd64
start             end                 module name
fffff880`05629000 fffff880`060de000   igdkmd64 T (no symbols)           
    Loaded symbol image file: igdkmd64.sys
    Image path: \SystemRoot\system32\DRIVERS\igdkmd64.sys
    Image name: igdkmd64.sys
    Timestamp:        Thu Jan 19 00:57:45 2017 (58805559)
    CheckSum:         00A92EF9
    ImageSize:        00AB5000
    Translations:     0000.04b0 0000.04e4 0409.04b0 0409.04e4

Keep in mind that Driver Verifier is disabled, yet you are still getting 0xC4 bugchecks (which is possible):

1: kd> !verifier

Verify Flags Level 0x00000000

STANDARD FLAGS:
    [X] (0x00000000) Automatic Checks
    [ ] (0x00000001) Special pool
    [ ] (0x00000002) Force IRQL checking
    [ ] (0x00000008) Pool tracking
    [ ] (0x00000010) I/O verification
    [ ] (0x00000020) Deadlock detection
    [ ] (0x00000080) DMA checking
    [ ] (0x00000100) Security checks
    [ ] (0x00000800) Miscellaneous checks

ADDITIONAL FLAGS:
    [ ] (0x00000004) Randomized low resources simulation
    [ ] (0x00000200) Force pending I/O requests
    [ ] (0x00000400) IRP logging

[X] Indicates flag is enabled

Summary of All Verifier Statistics

RaiseIrqls           0x0
  AcquireSpinLocks     0x0
  Synch Executions     0x0
  Trims                0x0

Pool Allocations Attempted             0x0
  Pool Allocations Succeeded             0x0
  Pool Allocations Succeeded SpecialPool 0x0
  Pool Allocations With NO TAG           0x0
  Pool Allocations Failed                0x0

Current paged pool allocations         0x0 for 00000000 bytes
  Peak paged pool allocations            0x0 for 00000000 bytes
  Current nonpaged pool allocations      0x0 for 00000000 bytes
  Peak nonpaged pool allocations         0x0 for 00000000 bytes

It's pretty clear that your graphics drivers DO NOT like Bluestacks.

The second dump with a 0x124 bugcheck is (IMO) pointing back to your graphics drivers. 0x124s are supposed to indicate CPU problems (or just general hardware problems, even though I've seen software as the cause), but I suspect that because your graphics card is based in your CPU, Windows can't tell the difference between the two and throws a 0x124 bugcheck.

Anyway, I still believe these BSODs are software related. Please try updating your BIOS with this newer version. BTW, PLEASE double-check that is the correct version for your model. After that, please provide me with MEMORY.DMP:

:step1: Upload MEMORY.DMP

• Press and hold the Windows Key + R on your keyboard at the same time.
• In the Run box, type in %WinDir% and hit Enter on your keyboard.
• Find the file MEMORY.DMP and copy/paste it on to your Desktop.
• Zip up MEMORY.DMP (use .ZIP please!!!) and upload it to a trustworthy file-sharing service.

BTW, please run those third-party hardware diagnostics as requested earlier.

Regards,

bwv848

#9 Falneth

Falneth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:11 PM

I will upload the memory.dmp.zip file tonight while at work since I don't have very good upload speed at home. I ran a scan on my ssd with HDTune and it came out just fine. I ran the MemTest86 and it came out with no errors. As for the other tests, I will also run them while at work since that is the easiest time for me.

I very very strongly suspect that what happened is that Windows Update found a driver update for my Intel Graphics and installed it without my knowledge. I'm unable to find that update in my installed updates list. However, I do remember seeing it in the list a few days ago when I was in the process of reinstalling the drivers after installing the OS.

By the way, before I had installed my SSD as a boot drive, I was running Windows 7 off of my Hybrid Drive and was able to use BlueStacks with ZERO issues. During this time, I was using the initial drivers that Dell provides for the Intel Graphics card. So I know my computer CAN run it without issues.  I wonder if it is possibly related to the fact that I install all programs onto the hybrid drive while using the SSD strictly for Windows. I doubt this is the case though since I did the same thing with my desktop and haven't had this issue on it.

Edited by Falneth, 30 August 2017 - 12:16 PM.

#10 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 12:49 PM

I've actually overlooked something—your system comes with BOTH Intel and NVIDIA graphics. This in my experience is a recipe for disaster. :o Anyway, please first set your laptop's power plan to high performance: https://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/774-power-plan-select.html Make sure you go to the advanced settings and ensure everything is set to MAXIMUM PERFORMANCE. In my experience, some laptops freeze up as these "green" power plans don't provide sufficient power to the graphics card.

Please reinstall your NVIDIA graphics card drivers: http://www.dell.com/support/home/ca/en/cabsdt1/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=MM7VT These are DELL's drivers specifically tuned for your model. When reinstalling please perform a Custom Installation, as demonstrated below:
3SKjXsp.jpg
Also, when you click Next, make sure you only install the Graphics Driver (and the PhysX System Software if you're a gamer). Also, check Perform a clean installation (see below):

Warning! Please read this first.
PLEASE DO NOT INSTALL ANY 3D DRIVERS!!! I've seen them cause odd issues before.

1bTMUDx.jpg

BTW, please reinstall your Intel graphics driver as mentioned in a previous post since you just reinstalled Windows. You should be using DELL's version, not what Windows finds on the internet.

#11 Falneth

Falneth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 07:40 PM

I reinstalled the drivers for both Intel and NVidia graphics from Dell exactly as you suggested and it still BSOD. Looks like I'll be doing yet another full reinstall of my OS. =(

#12 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 08:52 PM

Don't bother please. Just provide me with MEMORY.DMP and I'll see what we can do. BTW, have you tried contacting BlueStacks support?

Edited by bwv848, 30 August 2017 - 08:53 PM.

#13 Falneth

Falneth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:15 PM

Here is the link to the Memory.DMP zipped file.   https://www.dropbox.com/s/togf2dutb8dkd7d/MEMORY.zip?dl=0

I have not tried contacting BlueStacks support simply because they no longer support this version I want to use.

#14 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 3,024 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:38 PM

Hi,

Thanks that helped a lot. From my analysis, this seem like a GIANT AVG, MBAM, networking, and graphics mess. I would start by uninstalling AVG and Malwarebytes from the Control Panel. Then run their cleaning tools:

After that, please update ALL your networking drivers from HP's website (preferably by uninstalling the drivers from the Control Panel first).

Edited by bwv848, 31 August 2017 - 09:39 PM.

#15 Falneth

Falneth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 132 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:17 PM

I have removed both AVG and MalwareBytes. I checked and there are no new networking drivers on Dell's website. I'm not sure why you were trying to send me to HP's website for drivers when this is a Dell product. I even redownloaded the video drivers for my model laptop. Any other suggestions before I go any further?

Edited by Falneth, 01 September 2017 - 11:16 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users