Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Extremely unstable WiFi adapters on W10

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kaloonie

kaloonie

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:11 PM

Hello, everyone. I've been working on this issue for months and I am just stumped... it's driving me mad.

Issue: Using bandwidth (streaming, downloading, etc) on my computer causes my connection to drop. When my partner uses her PC and is using bandwidth, the problem gets worse. The adapter seems to crash, reset or just straight up bug out. When connected on 2.4Ghz, my connection is very unstable during use. Sometimes it will work for a long while, and other times it will throw a massive fit and won't stay online. When connected to 5Ghz, my connection does not drop but multiplayer video games are unplayable. It will constantly stutter my games and eventually, my PC will freeze up. Depending on what adapter driver I'm using, it will either stutter my game or make me rubberband.

I have tried many fixes including:
Ran network tests (no spikes in ping, no dropped packets)
Network reset via Windows 10 feature
Reset my XFINITY modem
IP flush and all that in the command prompt
Reformatted my PC multiple times
Tried an ethernet powerline adapter (stable but very slow due to my circuitry)
BIOS/drivers/Windows 10 are updated
Tried multiple drivers for each WiFi adapter
Power management is set to max performance
Network sharing is off
Tried Google's DNS
Have tried two different USB adapters and my current PCI-E adapter
Tested my RAM
Whatever else that I can't remember at this moment

My computer is the only device that does this. I recently have replaced my motherboard, PSU, GPU, and CPU and was having these issues before that. I honestly can't recall how long this problem has been going on but it has gotten worse and I don't know what to do. I feel like my only option is to run an ethernet cable to my PC and that will require some work due to two different houses on the property. I shouldn't have to go wired just to be on the Internet! 

One thing I noticed is back when I had to bridge my WiFi network to my partners PC via LAN, my adapters would FREAK OUT. I was using the very USB adapter my partner is using now, and she has no troubles. Please help...

PC specs:
Processor: AMD FX-6300 Vishera 6-Core 3.5 GHz
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB
Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming
RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 8GB
PSU: Corsair 650w

Edited by kaloonie, 20 August 2017 - 09:11 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:54 AM

"I feel like my only option is to run an ethernet cable to my PC and that will require some work due to two different houses on the property."

How far apart are these two houses? How strong is your WiFi signal? Are you using a signal booster, or are there separate WiFi access points in each house? How far away from a WAP are you when the problem occurs?

#3 kaloonie

kaloonie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:25 AM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:40 PM

Probably 30-50ft from each other. My PC is setup against a wall closest to the XFINITY gateway. My connection passes through two walls to get to it, mine and the other house. I am using a TP-Link Wireless Dual Band PCI-E adapter (TL-WDN4800) so it's got the range antennas. I get full speeds and my range on 2.4Ghz is excellent. 5Ghz isn't as strong. No signal booster, no separate WiFi AP's.

Partner is using a TP-Link N300 Wireless High Gain USB Adapter (TL-WN822N) and everything is fine for her. When I used that very adapter, I had the same issues I am having now. Thanks for the reply.

#4 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

If I had to hazard a guess, that's the problem. Signal has to pass through two exterior walls, probably insulated, and travel a 30- to 50-foot gap between them. You should look into a WiFi range extender like this one.

https://www.pcmag.com/roundup/353474/the-best-wireless-range-extenders

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users