Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fast Lan But Very Slow Wifi Connections

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Stu G

Stu G

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:51 PM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:23 PM

Hi Everyone

My Connection is ADSL 8mbps. Netgear DG834G Wireless Router Latest Firmware

Laptop Dell 640M/Built In Wifi.

This past week i have started to notice my connection on my laptop very slow, at some points it was like 56k again. I ran a few speed test online mostly http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/ and my WIFI connections were varying from 100kbps and 300kbps max, i would expect more from my connection. My Desktop connects to the router via RJ45 cable and my speed s very good, around 2-5 mbps.

I decided to connect the Laptop using RJ45 cable and i was getting a faster speed of 1.2mpbs from laptop via cable. There is not adware, spyware,malware or virus on the laptop for sure, and firewalls are set correctly. Interference was my thought, as i have a cordless phone nearby, external cd drive and soundcard, but when all switched off, still get these slow speeds. I have 2 other laptops that connect to the wifi and those are only achieve 500kbps max too.

I would appreciate any information or guides to figure out this problem, I have tried everything i know.

Thanks
Stu G
Ada95,Java,C ANSI,C++,C♯,ASP.NET,JavaFX!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 scraphog

scraphog

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:51 PM

Posted 18 September 2006 - 08:18 AM

A couple requests. How many computers are connected to the router?
How far from the router are they?
Have you made sure no other wireless devices (routers) are about for them to gain signal from?
You are adamant about the lack of virus/spyware on this system, but are you just as adamant about all computers behind the router, particularly those using wireless connections?
I would still install a packet analizer on the wired machine to detect all activity on the LAN and look for possibles: (someone mooching your wireless connection bandwidth, an infected PC , network activity( port scanners, trojans), as well as the physical location of the router (interference and continuation).

#3 Stu G

Stu G
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 03:33 PM

Hello, thanks for the Reply

There are up to 3 computers connected at any one time, Desktop (cable) and 2 wifi Laptops.

The laptops are within range of the router as i get "excellent" connection rating the desktop is one foot away from the router.

Using different applications to search for access points, my own wireless connection is only detected.

My firewall is setup to allow connection to wireless if correct SSID and Passkey is entered, I have not enabled Firewall Access control, using Mac Address of each laptop. Is that what you mean by behind the firewall?

I think i will get a packet analyzer, is there one you would recommend?

Thanks Again.
Stu G
Ada95,Java,C ANSI,C++,C♯,ASP.NET,JavaFX!

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 03:13 AM

What kind of firewalls do you have running? Try setting up your router so it does not broadcast your ssid. This option may make some of your connections go down, but after you configure it, tell us how it does. Otherwise i'm going to suspect you have some port problems. Oh and stop using that website, it's privacy policy is basically "we have the right to sell all information gained from this test to third party sources"

Edited by Gyro, 21 September 2006 - 03:15 AM.

#5 lancelot9

lancelot9

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:59 AM

I had this problem. My internet speed on a LAN cable  was very good. But on wireless it was poor.
I tried other computers connecting to the same router and they were not slow.
After trying many different potential solutions I found the answer to my problem:
I logged onto onto the Sky router using the IP address through my web browser. ( that varies depending on your provider)
I changed the working channel from what it was (14 and auto) to channel 9 (randomly selected)
Immediately after my wireless internet speed was restored to its proper speed.
I can only conclude that as we live in a town, there must have been interference affecting it.
I hope that helps someone else 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users