Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can I create multiple (Acronis/Aomei etc.) disk images on one hard drive?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gak1952

gak1952

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:42 PM

Hi,

I want to backup my 'C' Drive by making multiple disk images to a couple of 1TB and 2TB external hard drives using a couple of backup software programs that I own. Before I do this, I'd like advice and confirmation that I'm doing this right.

I assume that a disk image will allow me to restore my 'C' drive as a functioning operating system with both Windows and all my programs running just as they were. Please tell me if I'm mistaken here

QUESTION: can I create numerous Acronis, Aomei, Ashampoo, EasdUS etc 'C' drive disk images on the same external hard drive - either as individual files on an unpartitioned hard drive or in a partitioned hard drive with each image in its own partition?

My concerns, assumptions and software are as follows:

1. I want a lot of redundancy in case one hard drive/disk image/imaging software fails
  2. I often add new software, often giveaways, so a bootable recovery disk is insufficient. 
  3. I have the following disk imaging software: Acronis True Image 2017, Aomei Backup, Ashampoo Backup 2016, Cyberlink System Backup, EaseUSTodo Backup Home 8.8, Eassos System Restore and Macrium Reflect (free edition). Suggestions of good disk imaging freeware will be gratefully accepted
  4. I want to use these programs to create successive, bi-weekly disk images on two external hard drives - can they be separate (compressed?) files or would they have to be on separate partitions?
  5. Once the two drives were full I would probably delete every second disk image every time I created a new one. I assume this would make me pretty safe from even the most dormant malware/viruses
  6. I really don't want to have one Acronis 'C' drive disk image on one hard drive, then a week later another Acronis disk image on another hard drive, and then a week later, an Aomei disk image on a third hard drive - and so on and on.
  7. So, I'm asking: can I create Acronis, Aomei, Ashampoo, EasdUS and so forth 'C' drive disk images on the same hard drive either as individual files or in separate partitions. I've Googled for guidance, but I can't get a clear answer.
  8. As a further redundancy, I'll probably clone my 'C' drive on another external hard drive every month or so.   

I trust I've explained my intentions succinctly and clearly.

Thanks in advance for whatever advice and counsel anyone can give me.

Graham

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,870 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:57 PM

Yes you can...the only limitation is the size of the hdd you use to store the images.

I've used Acronis....the stripped down version in both Windows and the one offered by my hdds manufacturer.... DiscWizard | Seagate

Macrium Reflect gets a lot of good comments here at BC.

Just remember, that those backup images will only work on the computer or another exact same computer they were made on. So it is

important to backup important data separately in case the computer has a major failure or you want to upgrade to a newer replacement.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:15 PM

I run Acronis Image and Macrium Reflect Free on various PCs and Laptops.

All My Backups are stored on 2nd Partition of each PC { D:\ My Backups }.

Then i Just Copy them to an External Drive { If my D:\ Backup is inaccessible then i plug the External Drive in to use that }. 

You can use as many Image Programs as you wish , but then you have more work to do and may get confused when needed.

I make my Backup Folders in reference to Either , Acronis Backup Image or Macrium Backup Image. 

I dont see a neccessity to Create Partitons on an External Drive for your Backups , just create Backup Folders.

I would ensure you do a complete cleanup of the drives , temps , unused files , programs , to keep the Images small , but thats your choice , i only have c:\ running at 28 - 30 gig and it never changes apart from Updates added , and D:\ holds my personel files which can be imaged also but i just copy and paste to my external backup drive and label it.

Acronis has never failed me and all my images are done manually takes 10 Min.

Macrium will do set schedules for you either full or incremental as you please.

#4 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,477 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:56 PM

I might have missed it, did you have a C partition for OS and 3rd party programs AND a D partition for data?  If yes, absolutely you are on the right track making more than one copy of those partitions onto more than one external hard-drive.  You might want to test all those USB and DVD boot devices made from each one of those backup programs you mentioned.  I make both a USB and a DVD boot from each program that I have because now and then either a USB or a DVD, but not both at the same time, will fail to boot. 

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#5 gak1952

gak1952
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:07 PM

Hi,

Thanks to everyone for their comments and suggestions. I very much appreciate them. I have some more questions in response to your answers (these follow my replies to your questions).

In reply:

Buddy215: "those backup images will only work on the computer or another exact same computer they were made on" True! Not much I think I can do about this. My main computer is a Dell Workstation 7910. I got it used for about $4,000, but a new one would cost about $7K. This will be my last work PC, lasting I hope, twenty years. Still, I don't expect the machine to explode, or otherwise destruct. Every component should be replaceable. I could make a Laplink backup every six months or so. Any thoughts?

Havachat: "All My Backups are stored on 2nd Partition of each PC { D:\ My Backups }Then i Just Copy them to an External Drive" Great Idea! I was planning to backup directly to a hard drive, but now I realize it would be quicker to backup to an internal drive and then copy the backup to an external one. Yes, folders are the way to go, with different folders for different software.

Fortunately, I did think about cleaning up my 'C' drive as much as I can. Unfortunately, I bought it used and the previous user left some folders in the Administrator's Users directory that are inaccessible even when I am logged in as the administrator. I need to figure out how I can delete these.

RolandJS: "did you have a C partition for OS and 3rd party programs AND a D partition for data." I have non-partitioned internal 'C', 'D' and 'E' drives. I keep my data on the 'D' drive. I haven't used the 'E' drive yet, except for some file recover software. I'm planning to use it for daily incremental 'D' drive backups (that is, data backups). At the end of each month, I would delete all the incremental backups and keep only the backup made on the first of the month (I would have made a copy of this). I would save these on an external drive.

I also intend to create a number of recovery CDs/USB drives.

Further questions:

1. If I ever needed to restore a disk image (suppose my Dell 7910 'C' drive was completely corrupted/burnt out), how would I do it, say with Acronis True Image? Would I need a) a 'C' hard drive running Windows 10 and Acronis in my Dell 7910 B) a bare metal hard drive in the same Dell 7910 c) the external hard drive containing the disk image connected to the Dell 7910 d) I would then use Acronis to copy the disk image to the bare metal hard drive.
  2. Would it be a good idea to replace my current 2TB SSD 'C' Drive with a 150GB SSD? I'm only using about 125GB of this drive as a software drive. It seems such a waste.
  3. My thought in going to a 150GB SSD is I don't want to excessively use/strain my 2TB by partitioning it into a 'C' and 'D' drive (or even 'C', 'D', 'E' and 'F' drives), with 'C' being for software and 'D' for data. Am I mistaken in thinking that partitioning a 'D' data drive out of current 'C' software drive would increase the reads and writes to this hard drive, increasingly fragment it and cause it to fail sooner than it otherwise would?

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,870 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:45 PM

You need to create one of these: That will allow you to install an image you created to a corrupted hdd or a new hdd.

How to Create and Use a Recovery Drive or System Repair Disc in Windows 8 or 10

xwindows-8-advanced-options.png.pagespee

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,477 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:02 PM

"...I could make a Laplink backup every six months or so...."  No problem!  Use FreeFileSync, SyncBackLite, or anything you become comfortable using, to sync those folders and files via LapLink.  I do not remember if LapLink has its own internal folder and file sync utility, if it does, use it.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,477 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:22 PM

"...I need to figure out how I can delete these..."  I think there are several very good and strong delete utilities that probably work best if used either in Safe Mode (with or without networking) or via a USB or DVD boot.

#9 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,477 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 08:26 PM

"...I also intend to create a number of recovery CDs/USB drives..."  In my experience, a good idea; even though rare, I have had either a USB or a DVD boot not boot, fortunately the other did and I was able to continue.

#10 gak1952

gak1952
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 05:36 PM

Dear RolandJS,

Thanks for your further comments. I very much appreciate them.

I'm well on my way now to making the requisite backups. I was surprised to learn that my copy of Acronis True Image 2017 does not have the option of making a disk image as opposed to cloning a disk. I've also found that my Aomei Professional is not executing my image file backups. I suspect I'm having licensing problems, even though I have actually bought a license some years ago. I'll have to contact them.

Instead of these two software programs I've used Macrium Reflect and Runtime DriveImage XML to make drive image copies of my C Drive. My understanding is that if my C drive fails in some way, I will be able to restore the drive from either of these two images. Tonight I will clone my C Drive with Acronis True Image to an external hard drive.

I have yet to make some system backups on DVDs and USB drives. 

I am only using about 180GB of my 2TB C drive for Windows and my software programs. I am thinking of partitioning it into a C and D drive. I would then have two other internal hard drives E (currently my D drive) and F both without partitions. I would use the new D partition to store my data. I would password protect the E drive and backup the D partition to the E drive every night. I assume that by encrypting the E (and F drives) I would prevent any malware or virus from damaging them.

How does this sound to you? Am I missing anything here.

Thanks again for your thoughts. I very much appreciate them.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,477 posts
  •  

Posted 29 August 2017 - 09:16 PM

There should be no problems in carrying out your plan to create the partitions you want and the backups you want.  Ensure you place your USB and DVD boots along with the external media full of backup images are stored in a safe place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users