Okay, so the background to my problem is that my mom has terrible luck with electronics, to the point that we've joked that she needs a standing appointment with an exorcist to get the demons out of her laptop. The problems traveled from one laptop to another, too, or maybe it's just that Facebook is awful and keeps gumming things up for her. Anyway, her last laptop died a couple of months ago, she got a replacement, and I only just yesterday got around to hooking up the hard drive from the dead one so I could rescue her files. Unfortunately, I was so excited about the program I was using actually finding things on the drive that I didn't have it scan ONLY for documents and the like, and instead had it pull everything it could find over onto my own laptop. It got almost everything, but then Windows Explorer started crashing on my system every few minutes, so I aborted the whole thing and started working on getting her files onto a thumb drive so I could delete all of it from my system. The problem then with deleting was that I was getting exception errors for half of the folders, and stuff stopped working like it should, and then everything fell apart when I tried rebooting. I don't know what sort of horrible entity was living on her old hard drive, but it's on my system now.
I can't remember the order in which I tried things, but I'll try and detail what I've tried and hopefully someone can help me.
- I'm running Windows 8.1.
- On boot, it keeps getting stuck in the automatic repair loop, which I've tried disabling via command line, with bcdedit. That only worked once.
- Automatic Repair also fails every time.
- I have recovery media on a thumb drive, but my only options even if I boot from it are to just install Windows, or "repair your computer" which takes me back to the recovery screen.
- I've tried system restore points - at least it actually found some this time, because in the past when computers were failing it couldn't even find any. All three points that it found get corrupted in the process of trying to restore.
- I've tried refreshing my PC, and it almost immediately fails and says "there was a problem refreshing your pc, no changes were made".
- I've tried ren system system.001, and it says it completed the operation, but then I still can't refresh.
- Booting into Safe Mode from the recovery options screen hasn't worked yet due to the automatic repair loop.
- I've tried a battery reset; no changes.
- I could theoretically just do a total reinstall from the recovery media, but I'd rather exhaust all options first, because I don't have backups and it'll be a huge pain to reinstall everything. I know, I need backups. I'm poor, and 1TB external drives aren't cheap.
- Just tried DISM /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, and it gives me error 50, DISM does not support servicing Windows PE with the /Online option.
- Just tried this, still stuck in loop.
Edited by somnomania, 19 August 2017 - 06:54 PM.