Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows audio not working

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WarpWaffle

WarpWaffle

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:20 PM

I just got a new pc case and put my computer into it. I then tested it, and everything worked except the audio. I even tried plugging in an hdmi cable to try and get audio from the keyboard instead. Please help because I would like sound.

I am also wondering if my motherboard's audio card is dead.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:14 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:33 PM

I am assuming that you do have speakers of some sort attached to this computer. How are you connecting them ?

If you are using the very common powered stereo speakers these need to be connected to the 'Audio out' socket on the back of your case, normally coloured green. If you are using speakers built into your monitor remember that DVI, if that is what you are using to connect the monitor, does not carry audio.

Finally, check the speaker settings on your desktop, the speaker symbol at the right hand end of the taskbar. Make sure volume is not set to 0 and that the mute switch is 'Off'.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 WarpWaffle

WarpWaffle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:34 PM

I have them on my monitor, connected through the green audio out port

#4 WarpWaffle

WarpWaffle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:36 PM

My computer doesn't see any audio output devices, just 4 unplugged Nvidia hd audio devices.

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 05:32 PM

Can you publish a Speccy report ?  It's a free download form BC -

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

Once you have installed and run it yu get the report by clicking 'File' then 'Publish a snapshot'. this produces a URL which you can either copy/paste into your next post or save to clipboard and then paste into your next post.

And that's all you need, just the URL. There is no personally identifiable informaion included.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 WarpWaffle

WarpWaffle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 11:19 PM

Ok. I will try tomorrow

#7 WarpWaffle

WarpWaffle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 04:41 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/81Tt5VJzxHcC7a6QEIUSrGd

Here you go.

#8 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 783 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 05:25 PM

think this one out!

was audio working before new case?

and audio failed after new case right.

pull the motherboard out and look and see if there are any metal stand-off's shorting to the area where the audio

connectors are.

sometimes new cases have extra standoff's to cover multiple board configurations.  and you can short out the audio connectors

without doing any damage to the circuit board.

if that's the problem then you should be able to remove the standoff and fix your problem.

just my educated guess.......

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,712 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:32 PM

The mightywiz has a good point, it can do no harm to check.

I think a better solution would be to go to the ASUS web-stie and first download the latest audio drivers for Win 10 for your mobo and save them somewhere you can find them again.

Then go to 'Control panel - Device manager' and expand the entries against your audio device(s) and uninstall the drivers for any separately listed devices. I don't have a computer running Win 10 handy at the moment but in general if you press the 'Windows' key you should find Control Panel in the menu that comes up. If not look in 'Settings'. I know that it varies a bit depending on exactly which build of 10 you are running.

Once you have uninstalled the drivers I would re-boot and then install the new drivers that you previously downloaded. If they came as a ZIP file you will need to unpack them first, if they came as an EXE or an MSI type file you can just run them.

Let us know how you get on. And thanks for the Speccy report even if it didn't give as much information on your audio as I might have hoped for.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users