Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"don't have this app."

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nosmiley

nosmiley

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:13 PM

I have windows 7; had it for years. Have updated Outlook.

A few weeks ago when I pressed "empty" on my recycle bin , pictured on the desktop, I got this "don't have this app. "  I have open CCleaner as a choice on the recycle icon. Have had CCleaner several years, configured the same way as always. CCleaner opens, and runs fine.  The other choice on recycle bin is a blank file located at the top of choices, just says "open" . It collects the deleted items, and I can delete then one at a time. As mentioned, "empty" just loads the "No App." I have run multiple virus-and malware programs you mention. Combo fix didn't help, but did manage to NEVER print what it found; 30 minutes is all I was prepared to spend. Have used it successfully in the past. It worked along until the notice that it is going to list what it found. Then it took a nap, I guess.

If this is something different, I can submit it again.  The icon for Desktop is gone from the "where do you want to download this program. Now I have to use RUN.  There used to be a Desktop icon on the left side of the page mixed in with several other things. Now that icon is gone as well

After fooling with this (  these icons) I bought a full version of MacAfee.  I went through  the settings and unchecked any that I thought might delete something needed. It took awhile to scan, but it found no virus, but did find what they call junk Don't know what it is, but the speed of the computer noticeably improved   " App on recycle bin still missing   I have used updated Malware bytes, Superantispyware.  The desktop icon still refuses to show in either the left column, or the where do you want to download   Used driver updaters-nothing.

Sorry this is so long. Was trying to help with details. I'm 70 years old which may be the problem.

Edited by nosmiley, 19 August 2017 - 05:16 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,862 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:22 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:55 PM

Let's take a look...for what it's worth, I happen to be 70 years old too :).

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Go to Piriform's website, and download the free version on the left.  Click Download from Piriform.com (the FileHippo link requires an extra click). Or if you want to use a portable version of Speccy (which doesn't require installation), click the builds page link and download the portable version. You will now be asked where you want to save the file. The best place to put it is the Desktop, as it will be easy to find later.

After the file finishes downloading, you are ready to run Speccy. If you downloaded the installer, simply double-click on it and follow the prompts until installation is complete. If you downloaded the portable version, you will need to unzip it before use. Right-click the ZIP file and click Extract all. Click Next. Open up the extracted folder and double-click on Speccy.

Once inside Speccy, it will look similar to this (with your computer's specifications, of course):

post-33068-0-86653600-1480692866_thumb.j

Now, at the top, click File > Publish Snapshot.

Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard

Now, once you are back in the forum topic you are posting in, click the ADD REPLY or REPLY TO THIS TOPIC button. Right-click in the empty space of the Reply box and click Paste. Then, click Add Reply below the Reply box.

Louis

#3 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,214 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 PM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 01:54 AM

Not sure about this...

Remember that we can't see what you are seeing so must consult our crystal balls (mine is not awake yet).

Regarding the Recycle Bin first you said the message was "don't have this app." then you said the message was "No App." so which is it?

I use CCleaner to and don't care much about how the the Recycle Bin works but with a little maneuvering was able to generate this message on the RB:

[attachment=197065:Untitled.jpg]

Is that what you are seeing?

Then you say "The icon for Desktop is gone from the "where do you want to download this program."

Where did this icon used to be - in your browser when you choose to download something?

What Internet Browser are you using (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome, etc.) and what program are you attempting to download?

Do you mean something like this:

[attachment=197066:6.jpg]

Edited by joseibarra, 20 August 2017 - 01:55 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users