Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 problem with start-up and wake-up after screen saver

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Banjojoe

Banjojoe

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:24 PM

Every time I turn on my Windows 7 unit, it takes it's good ole time to come to a complete stop; and let's me use the computer.  It seems to be in a constant loop where the cursor keeps going round and round forever.  To tell if the start-up is completed, I generally right click on the desk top and do a refresh.  If all the icons pop up together I figure the system is ready.  If they start popping one by one, then I wait till I can get them to pop instantaneously. (hope that made sense)

I have Norton Security, Super Anti-Spyware, Malwarebytes (all versions), and have done scans with various other scanners, and none of them show any problem.  Once the system gave me a black screen and did a disc check that said something like "designated free space shows allocated. corrected to free space again".  Additionally, if I should let it enter screen saver mode sometimes it comes back without any problems but most of the time I have to do a restart.

What do you think is going on?  Is my hard drive fixing to go?

Banjojoe

I've attached a Speecy file for someone to look at

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:46 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 12:55 PM

I would run the chkdsk /r command...and follow that with the the sfc /scannow command.

Louis

#3 Banjojoe

Banjojoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 01:26 PM

Mod:

Could you see my Speecy file.  I thought I uploaded it, but I don't see it in my post.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:16 PM

Unless it's invisible...there is no Speccy data reflected in this topic.

Louis

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,215 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:45 PM

You don't attach a Speccy report, you copy the supplied URL and just paste the URL into your next post.

Once Speccy has finished analyzing, click 'File', then click 'Publish snapshot', you may or may not then get a message box asking if you want to proceed, click 'Yes'. This brings up a box with a URL in it. Click 'Copy to clipboard' then in your next post post  'Ctrl+V' will paste it into your text.

The reason for this procedure is that a Speccy report in the URL format is much easier to read than one produced as a text file.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 04:26 AM

I always suspect Norton as the system resource hog.

You say you have SAS and MBAM installed and those are the free versions, right?

If you boot into Safe Mode with Networking those AV programs (and some other things) should not load and your video will be different but if you are able to navigate normally then (in spite of the display being different) then I would take a look at your startup items.

As you are making adjustments only change one thing at a time and test (reboot) so that if a miracle occurs you will know the reason.

You could temporarily uninstall Norton to see how things look - you can always reinstall it again later, right?

Click here to learn how to uninstall Norton

Another possibility is that you have a hung up Windows update running so to stop that go to Control Panel, Windows update, Change settings and set WU to Nver check for updates, click OK to save the settings and restart your system.

You can change that back later too if it is your desire.

Restart and check to be sure the changes "stick"

You could also go into msconfig, Startup tab and see all of your startup programs.

msconfig is a troubleshooting tool - not a startup manager and you are troubleshooting.

Using a process of elimination to zero in on a particular startup item you could disable things one at a time restarting after each to see how things look until the problem is resolved or you could disable them all at once, restart and then start enabling them one by one restarting after each until the problem returns.

Unchecking startup items does not uninstall anything - it just keeps them from starting:

Edited by joseibarra, 20 August 2017 - 10:39 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#7 Banjojoe

Banjojoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:32 AM

OK! my bad.  I  thought I knew how to publish the Speecy report, but I guess not.  So, here is my second attempt at publishing.  Additionally, I have been working through most of the suggestions posted here.  I've followed Louis' suggestion and did a chkdsk and a sfc/scannow and it showed i had a couple bad sectors that windows repaired, but other than that nothing.  That's why I'm submitting my Speecy report hoping this will help:

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/SusEeBIDrkIvjgGIXsOTvOV

Thanks for all the help and suggestion.

Banjojoe

#8 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 12:01 PM

Please download and run Data Lifeguard for Windows and post the result of running the long/extended scan, please.

https://support.wdc.com/downloads.aspx?p=3 .

Louis

#9 Banjojoe

Banjojoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 06:20 PM

Ok. Here it is.  Doesn't look good!

Banjojoe

Attached Files

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 12:44 PM

No mystery as to the heart of the problem, IMO.

Louis

#11 Banjojoe

Banjojoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:02 PM

Well, I guess I'm going to replace either the HD or the computer.

I have one additional question maybe someone can answer.  I went into the device manager and clicked on computer management and I found four (4) listings for my AMD Athlon processor.  Is this normal? IF not what should I do?

check out jpg.

Attached Files

#12 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,565 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:20 PM

If you have a quad-core processor...it's normal.  If you had an 8-core, there would be 8 listings under Processor.  Duo-core, 2 listings.

The Athlon II X4 645 is quad-core.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 22 August 2017 - 06:23 PM.

#13 Banjojoe

Banjojoe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:39 PM

Your Right! I have Quad Core Processor.  Good thing I didn't change anything.

Thanks for your help

Banjojoe

Edited by Banjojoe, 22 August 2017 - 07:20 PM.

#14 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 PM

Posted 22 August 2017 - 11:38 PM

Figure out your exact boot time.

Download this VBS file to Desktop - http://www.sysnative.com/apps/bootspeed.vbs

Then close ALL Windows; 2x-click on the VBS file. Windows will begin to shut-down, then restart.

Upon reaching Desktop (or when you have control of Desktop), click on the VBS file again (it may be one click or two - I forget now) and it will tell you your precise boot-up time.

Before replacing an HDD (or the entire system for that matter!), test it.  Run SeaTools for DOS, LONG test - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/hardware-tutorials/4072-hard-drive-hdd-diagnostics.html

Have you also given thought to replacing the HDD with an SSD?

A new SSD breathed new life into my Vista-era Intel Core2-Duo system and it is now running W10. The laptop was high-end, but it's 10 years old now.

Furthermore, SSDs have come way down in price from a year or two ago.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users