Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to restore computer to any prior restore point Win 7/64 bit

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 futileattempts

futileattempts

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:53 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:23 AM

Greetings to All,

Thank you in advance, any help is much appreciated-  Im working with/on a compact presario with windows 7 /64 bit operating system-mozilla firefox- no extensions memory is rather low 2 gigs only-could this be part of apps hanging up sluggish ? Its possible, but I have seen computer run much more efficiently than at present.  It has several virus removal programs installed and several recently removed- I do not know which ones to retain and those needing to be removed.  Start up is very slow and takes at least 2 minutes at times.  I will go to close a window and find possibly 10 or more open behind it-just blank and a lot of random letters in the address bar.  Often computer goes right to not responding after browser is opened. I have deleted several folders such as gocoupons, $shopsave, dealzz, etc.that I happened upon.  In trying to restore computer I get the error message that windows is unable to restore to previous time check other recovery options and several instances where system restore monitoring has been shut off even though I turned it on that last time that was encountered.  I dont know whether I have one problem several issues- or several virus and associated issues. Im hoping I came to the right place...and posted correctly.  I will await instruction at your convenience-...Have a great day... 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:00 AM

Interesting, you might have a nasty malware on your PC. I will post the instructions for cleanup, see if they help you out, keep me updated. 

1. Restart your PC in “Safe mode with networking.”
2. Check your Programs and features and see if there are any new recently installed programs that you don’t recognize. If there are, remove them.
3. Check your task manager for any suspicious processes, if found, identify folders and try to remove them manually. Or just "Win key + R" and type %appdata%. Afterward, delete potentially malicious folders.
4. Do a full scan with anti-virus software of your choice or use Windows Defender to clean up initial infections.
5. Scan your PC with Hitman Pro, Malwarebytes, and AdwCleaner. Multiple anti-malware solutions will confirm that the threat was removed.
6. Restart your PC in normal mode and do an additional scan to confirm that the malware is gone.

#3 futileattempts

futileattempts
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2017 - 08:13 PM

Hello and thank you for your reply. Restarted in safe mode, checked prohrams and features, nothing struck me as suspicious-did however delete an empty folder called"seperated friends" says created on 8-9-15 but I have never happened across it before. Svannedcomputer avira reported no threats conmputer protexted.  Mbytes scan resulted in 6 files being quarantined.  I tried to download HitmanPro as you directed as I started the install iy seemed to me there was a lot of additional things foing to be installed and not just a useful scan, I backed out the install, and re-downloaded HitmanPro.  When installing HitmanPro  it said the download had been cancelled and would not finish install. 

However there was an addition of 6 or 7 shortcuts on my desktop ...amazon, craigslist, netflix, gmail, search, fast browser, chrominun...I don't even use chrome.I tried downloading adwCleaner...avira blocked the install error said containing the pattern of 'PUA/InstallCore (Cloud)' I took a pic of the screen with my phone if more is needed to seeir was I supposed to disable beforehand? Instructions didn't say but maybe I was supposed to know this.  I tried once again to install and the error trport received was insufficient resources to start this service- (screenshot pic too).  I ran mbytes scan again to see -this time 727 threats were quarantined, my computer shut down in the middle of my replyy to this post, my mozilla shortcut on my desktop is gone , I am directed to a page from Mbytes that says during a last scan some of the infections found would have to be removed manually and a set of instructions divided into 3 parts ...do I attempt thier removal instructions before bothering you again? is this malware and what it does or was it something I did incorrectly not knowing what the hay I was doing?  I'm so ready to just  throw in the towel, so whatever you tell me to do, thats what I will do...thanks again

#4 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 28 August 2017 - 04:41 AM

Downloading Hitman Pro shouldn't cause any additional programs installed. If you downloaded it from a 3rd party source, then I am not sure, but their official page has only one quick download, and that is all. AdwCleaner is a legitimate software by Malwarebytes to clean up the majority of malware issues. Can you try booting Windows normally, use RKill to kill any potential malware services and try scans? Otherwise, a complete system reinstall might be needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users