Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notebook Tech Advises To Remove Program From Startup

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 georgia

georgia

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 06:00 PM

The warranty depot for my notebook advised that if I want to avoid Sonic Record Now from conflicting with the Nero 6.6.6.0 simply remove it from startup????

And just leave it on the notebook as it is one of the needed programs for a restore if required. He said this would mean that it will not try to boot at the same time that Nero does and thus there will be no problems.

I am not a tech and so I thought that I should post as I want to install Nero, but I don't any conflicts.
I am still using this version as I find it stable for my needs, we have Ultra 7 at work and there is no way I will use it at home.

Thankyou
Talent is a flame. Genius is a fire.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2006 - 01:42 PM

You really don't need to have either starting up when you boot.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 01:10 AM

But if I do remove Sonic Record Now at "Start Up "will that genuinely avoid a conflict with Nero, or is this tech simply telling a "yarn", I don't have that amount of "wool" to tolerate such at story if it is incorrect!!! :thumbsup:

I am a learner in this field and appreciate very much the experienced comments, however need more info.

Thankyou!!

Edited by georgia, 18 September 2006 - 01:12 AM.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2006 - 09:58 AM

I have not used Sonic Record Now, so I cannot really discuss the technician's advice about conflicts; however, I can see no reason why either should be in your startup selection. That way you can simply open, or launch, whichever application you want to use for the particular job at hand without the other getting in the way. This also makes booting your computer faster, and takes less computing resources.
Regards,
John

#5 georgia

georgia
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 567 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 10:18 AM

Thanks for the reply, sorry for the delay here as I have been on a project.

I agree with you about the programs at startup as it does take up time unnecessarily and what my searching through "dvd forums" has alerted me to is the fact that it is "packet writing mechanisms of Roxio and Nero" that apparently conflict and your response to me then would mean that the programs both would remain inactive if NEITHER??? are on startup and the applications would become Active only when I physically click on the Icon to launch the program.

Is that correct?

You have been a wealth of knowledge in assisting this Noob in getting a better understanding of what activates a program and you put it in very understandable terms if I am interpreting the post correctly.

And indeed if this is the case that the program only becomes active when it is launched which is probably something the average user knows; it is definitely something that has always confused me and I really appreciate the advice.

I do hope that you are able to respond to this.

Thankyou very, very much for your time and interest as I have posed this query in other forums and it is like I am asking a "rocket science question" and I have received no replies and thus have been wondering if I am really asking a silly, stupid question as Noob!!! :thumbsup:

Here at BC, knowledge is shared so freely, which makes for a more comfortable and pleasant atmosphere!!!

Cheers and definitely my best regards!!! :flowers:

Edited by georgia, 24 September 2006 - 10:20 AM.

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 02:04 PM

For the most part, if an application launches on startup, what happens is that part of it becomes "active" and taps its feet until you use it. The whole point of having it boot up immediately is that you don't have to wait for it to start up (since part of it is already running); if you use an application constantly off and on during the day, this can be a Good Thing, but if you use it only occasionally, it uses system resources needlessly.

If it does not launch on start up, it remains completely inactive, just a program file until you begin its execution.

Some applications (Realplayer, for example) have multiple applications (or modules) that you must prevent from launching , but I do not believe this is the case with Nero (which I use) or with the other application.

Regards,
John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users