Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Free File Sync - malware or not? (summary of various sites) what's your opinion?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

I downloaded free file sync from its official website. Malwarebytes 3 premium automatically caught it as PUP and quarantined it (look below for the report).

I searched the web, and there are various opinions about it. Some say it's malware, some say it's OpenCandy, or simply false flag.

The official website says it never contains virus/malware, and that it only contains advertising. Other people say that the window to manually opt-out of crapware within the installation process disappears within a blink of a sec (before you can click on it).

Aditionally freefilesync says that you can donate money to use the advertise-free version.

If I could simply opt-out, it wouldn't be a problem, but some say it's not possible to do this. Others even insist that there is malware hidden inside the program. How can I find out if there really is malware in it or if it's flagged by malwarebytes because it could install toolbars etc.?

Here is my malwarebytes report on it:
-Blocked Malware Details-
File: 1
PUP.Optional.BundleInstaller.Generic, C:\Users\***censored***\Downloads\FreeFileSync_9.3_Windows_Setup.exe, Quarantined, [8421], [390493],1.0.2616

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:57 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:39 AM

I believe later versions added OpenCandy. I have the clean version but I'm not sure of the version number. I would need to check.

Version 5.13 is clean. I would avoid downloading any you find now as I believe those are no longer clean either but you can scan them to confirm.

One people say is a good equivalent.

https://www.2brightsparks.com/freeware/freeware-hub.html

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 August 2017 - 10:51 AM.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:58 PM

I've used FreeFileSync for some time now, and yes, I am annoyed at the additions within the install; however, my unchecky normally kicks in and un-checks the additionals, or, I can do it during or after the install.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#4 ElectricYouth

ElectricYouth
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:17 AM

I've used FreeFileSync for some time now, and yes, I am annoyed at the additions within the install; however, my unchecky normally kicks in and un-checks the additionals, or, I can do it during or after the install.

I'm usually careful with unchecking additions during an install. However from what I've heard, the program could be installing malware or other stuff without giving the option to opt out. I haven't been able to check for it myself as malwarebytes automatically quarantined it. Probably gonna give it a try later tonight. I like FFS so would like to use it. Else I will try and get a hold of the 5.13 version like John suggested, but then again, it might have its limits since it's an older version.

Edit: Excellent! 2brightsparks is amazing! Using that now :).

Edited by ElectricYouth, 20 August 2017 - 02:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users