Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

rebuilding a gaming computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 firekid2k

firekid2k

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:49 AM

Hello,

Im looking for some advice. I have a computer that i have had for about 9 years. I did a couple of upgrades over the past couple years. I accidentally upgraded it to windows 10 earlier this year which has cause problems ever since. So, figured its time to just go ahead and add some upgrades to it again. may I get some advice? It would be awesome if you could explain Barney style to a guy who doesn't know a lot about building computers. 

Current build:
ASUS P5n73-AM (original)
G Skill PC2-6400 2G x 2 F2-6400 CL5D-46BPQ (bought a year or 2 ago)
WD WD2500AAJS (original)
EN210silent/DI/1GD3/V2(LP) (2 y/o)
EVGA 500 W1, 80+ WHITE 500W, 3 Year Warranty, Power Supply 100-W1-0500-KR (2 y/o)
NZXT old case (original) 

THANKS IN ADVANCE!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:44 AM

Probably new graphic card is only worthwhile upgrade. But what processor?

#3 firekid2k

firekid2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:18 PM

intel 05 e2180 pentium dual-core

Couldn't find it at first. Then I realized it was under a fan. Lol! It had like this goo on it I had to clean off to read.

The "en210" is the grafic card right? Have suggestions for a new one?

Probably new graphic card is only worthwhile upgrade. But what processor?

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,398 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:37 PM

Used and Very cheap Core 2 Quad CPU would be decent CPU upgrade.

It's somewhat hard to find worse graphic card you already have. Something like Radeon R7 270 or similar would make that decent gaming machine, with new CPU of course.

#5 firekid2k

firekid2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 03:48 PM

Ok. I'll Google some options. Thanks.

Used and Very cheap Core 2 Quad CPU would be decent CPU upgrade.It's somewhat hard to find worse graphic card you already have. Something like Radeon R7 270 or similar would make that decent gaming machine, with new CPU of course.

Edited by firekid2k, 19 August 2017 - 03:49 PM.

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 04:09 PM

Couldn't find it at first. Then I realized it was under a fan. Lol! It had like this goo on it I had to clean off to read.

That 'goo' that you are referring to is called thermal paste. You need to buy new thermal paste (it costs like $5) and apply a little bit of it on the CPU before you put the fan back on top of it, so that it doesn't overheat as easily.:)

#7 firekid2k

firekid2k
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:56 PM

That 'goo' that you are referring to is called thermal paste. You need to buy new thermal paste (it costs like $5) and apply a little bit of it on the CPU before you put the fan back on top of it, so that it doesn't overheat as easily. :)

good to know.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users