Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

usb formatted

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PDN

PDN

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:48 AM

I am getting a PC with UEFI instead of the BIOS I have.

Can I format the USB drive with just Windows, or do I need Rufus?

I have always used just Windows 10 utilities to burn, quick format etc without third party. i

I this can be done is it the same as quick formatting a disc in Windows 10 so FAT32 is used for anything under 4GB  and UEFI for over 4?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,486 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:05:55 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

you can format a USB drive with windows, right click on the drive and select format

RUFUS is used to create a Bootable USB stick from an ISO file...like a windows install USB

Edited by mikey11, 19 August 2017 - 09:20 AM.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,679 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:55 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:38 AM

Please post the make and model of this computer.

Most all motherboards with the UEFI firmware can be set to run the legacy BIOS.

Boot to UEFI Mode or Legacy BIOS mode | Microsoft Docs

You don't have to use Rufus, you can create a bootable USB flash drive in Windows.

Create Bootable USB Flash Drive to Install Windows 10 Windows 10 Installation & Upgrade Tutorials

Windows 10 will format the ssd/hdd to NTFS,  There are good reasons not using the FAT32 format, security being chief among these.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:15 AM

@ Micky 11- so I just select NTFS while doing as you say. I have done this many times with the older BIOS but because I do not have PC with UEFI at this moment I did not know if it was different. 

I guess if you try without formatting you will be reminded to do so.

It is as I thought so thank you.

@ As I told Mickey my new PC is not here yet so I cannot post the motherboard. I am an average user and Micro center is building it for me.

Legacy or CSM I believe can be used to boot the old way but isn't it better to return to secure boot after booting for security reasons?

I use the stick Macrium created and believe the PC boots off of it without working in the UEFI once order is set.

I realize from YouTube there are many types of Mother Boards so many different UEFI's but I was asking about the content in Mickey's post. Your added information is appreciated and I am going to study you referrals.

Is it true you can 1- disable secure boot then set boot order to boot off of a disc or stick, or 2- you can enable csm or legacy and do it the older BIOS way after setting boot order?

Is it necessary to do both secure boot and legacy or just one of them? Thanks for the tutorial.

Edited by PDN, 19 August 2017 - 10:19 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users