Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

wifi network security

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 m0sess

m0sess

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:45 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:56 AM

are there any suites or software to protect my wifi connection more likely...how to have wifi security so i can surf,play games securely ?

Edited by hamluis, 19 August 2017 - 07:57 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Gen Security - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:57 AM

If you set up your wireless router using a wireless password (as in it's not an open network) and choosing the latest version of WPA/WPA2 encryption that your particular router supports, and use a strong password, that's about as secure as you're going to get.

If the router supports Wi-Fi protected setup, whether via pushbutton or otherwise, disable it.

This, however, is applicable only to your Wi-Fi security.

If you want to know a lot more about steps you can take and/or some software options you can install, please read both of the following:

What you must understand regarding computer security

Quietman7's Best Practices for Safe Computing

Addendum:  See also this discussion, Seeking for a guide to secure my networkwhich addresses precisely the same territory you're asking about, and that I mentioned at the outset, but with greater detail.

Edited by britechguy, 19 August 2017 - 11:01 AM.
Added comment to highlight "Seeking" thread

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 ilonggo

ilonggo

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:45 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 11:21 PM

Hello Mossess,

As what britechguy stated, you don't need a software to protect your WiFi though other antivirus has this feature added. But if I were you, I will not use a software, just change your SSID name or don't broadcast it, change your WiFi password to stronger one not just a word but a sentence. In our home I filtered the Mac addresses of our devices. I set it that the Mac addresses listed are the only devices that can connect to our WiFi. So, even if they crack our password, there is no way they can share our WiFi or internet connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users