Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP printer won't print my documents, pictures or web pages.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 MoonPower

MoonPower

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:58 AM

My Hp printer Officejet Pro 8610 will only print out test pages, nothing else. I run Windows 10. I have searched the internet looking for fixes, but to no avail as I have already tried to find something that might work. The printer is connected by a usb cable. I have the latest driver installed and have uninstalled and re-installed software 3 times. I may have to call HP, but thought I would try here first. Thanks for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:39 AM

@MoonPower

Open Settings > Devices > Printers & Scanners.

1. Check under Printers & Scanners that your HP Officejet Pro 8610 Is Listed,
a. Yes= Proceed to Step 2
b. No= Click Add a Printer and follow the prompts.

2. Check that your HP Officejet Pro 8610 Is Marked Default,
a. Yes= Proceed to step 3
b. No= Click the HP Officejet Pro 8610 entry > click Manage > click Set as default > Click the back arrow next to Settings to return to the Printers & Scanners page, Proceed step 3.

3. Make sure the checkbox next to Let Windows Manage my default printer is blank.

You should now be able to use your HP Officejet Pro 8610 normally.

Hope this helps

Old Rocker

#3 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:09 AM

Another tip I would have is make sure there is no "rogue" document in the print queue that is preventing printing.

In the "Printers & Scanners" settings page, click the printer you are having problems with and choose "Open queue".  A sub window will open showing the print queue for the printer.

If there are items in the queue, choose Cancel All Documents in the Printer menu.

7sbvuf-6.png

#4 MoonPower

MoonPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:31 AM

old rocker and jonuk76, old rocker: All 3 check out okay. jonuk76: the queue check out too. Like I said earlier I can print test pages. Just not anything else. Thanks

#5 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

Are the documents you're sending appearing in the print queue?  Have you tried printing from several programs?  I've personally had problems with Chrome, for example.

7sbvuf-6.png

#6 MoonPower

MoonPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:22 PM

Are the documents you're sending appearing in the print queue?  Have you tried printing from several programs?  I've personally had problems with Chrome, for example.

jonuk76, When trying to print out from My Documents or Pictures, nothing shows in queue. I can print out stuff from IE, not sure about Microsoft Edge or Firefox. I did print the front page from IE. Used a lot of paper too. I can copy from web sites and paste in Word Pad and print those out okay which surprises me a little, but why not from My Documents or Pictures? I shouldn't have to move everything from My Documents to Word Pad. That's all I have tried to this point. Thanks.

#7 MoonPower

MoonPower
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:23 PM

jonuk76 and old rocker, I can't believe it, but I found a way to print out my documents and pictures. I used Paint to open some picture files and I can print that way. So all is well on this end. Thanks for the help anyway.

#8 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:59 PM

I never use the Print option directly from file manager, but I believe what it does is invoke a "helper" application to render the document or picture for printing, and then sends it to the default printer.  Not all document types give you a Print option in the right click menu.  Personally I just open the document I want to print in a suitable application (e.g. Word, Excel, Adobe Acrobat, Irfanview etc. etc.) and print from within the application.  This gives you more options with regards to print settings and page setup too.

In Windows XP/Vista/7/8, the default picture viewer (which also handles printing via the right click menu) is "Windows Photo Viewer".  This was recently changed in a Windows 10 update to a new app called "Photos", but Windows Photo Viewer should still be on the PC.  It's possible to change the default photo viewer back to Windows Photo Viewer, and that may allow the Print dialog from file manager to work properly with pictures.  You would do that via the default application settings.  But if you're happy continuing to open pictures in Paint, and using that, that's fine.

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users