Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Re Windows licence

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 waveydavey

waveydavey

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:26 AM

I know that you can swap hard drives and everthing but how would change computers ie buy a new one and transfer all of the programmes off of your old computer to the new one if your computer failed.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,258 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:18 AM

In your post you talk about transferring programs, which is easy to do. Your thread title indicates that you have a question "re windows license [sic.]." Since these two topics are not related, which of these two are you interested in?

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 19 August 2017 - 05:18 AM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 waveydavey

waveydavey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:32 AM

Hi,yes I was interested in when buying a new computer is it possible to transfer all your old proggrammes to the new computer in Win 10 If your new computer does not have the digital signature on it,or do you have to buy a Win 10 computer

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,258 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 06:31 AM

What operating system is on your new computer?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 waveydavey

waveydavey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:01 AM

Well it either one that has no o/p or one that has Win10 already installed.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:46 AM

The way one "transfers" programs is no different than it ever was:  you reinstall them.   Unless you have a few portable programs which can, of course, just be copied, but installed programs cannot.

If they are Microsoft programs, and you are using a Microsoft-account-linked Windows 10 user account and had used that same account on the old computer (or even several old computers over time) your Microsoft Account should have all of your licenses for all of those programs associated with it.  You can generally download the software from MS and install it and it will pick up the licensing information much like Windows 10 does for itself when it's being reinstalled on the same machine.  You do, of course, have to be complying with the license terms (e.g., single user license) and there are times where you will have to contact MS technical support to have them reactivate a software license, and they will, if you tell them it has been removed from the original computer (or the drive degaussed, whatever, so long as it cannot be used on another machine or machines at the same time).

That's one of the things I've grown to love about the Microsoft account over the years.  It saves the horror of finding that you cannot locate your install media and/or license key.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#7 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,258 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:22 AM

Well it either one that has no o/p or one that has Win10 already installed.

What Brian said above is very good information. Have you bought a license for an operating system yet? Let us start with that before we help you install any programs.

So right now the computer is a blank slate with no operating system, correct?

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#8 waveydavey

waveydavey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:46 AM

Well you are pretty much in front of me here,I am deciding what computer to buy,I just wanted to know which one is best,the one with no o/p or one with.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 5,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:49 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:53 AM

Well, unless you are installing Linux, which is free, and which makes all the Microsoft related questions irrelevant, my inclination is to buy a machine with the OS preinstalled as it's generally less expensive.

If one is building one's own machine then you pretty much have to pick an OS and purchase it, if it's not free.

If you want Windows 10 I'd definitely buy a machine that includes the version of Windows 10 you want/need to have.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website address in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

#10 waveydavey

waveydavey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for your reply,it made sense.

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett