Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to check for a possibly dying track-pad?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 03:05 PM

Hey, this laptop, Asus X555SJ (Intel Pentium N3700 quad-core @1.6Ghz, 8GB DDR3 SDRAM @1600Mhz, Windows 10 Pro), has a well-functioning track-pad. However, on 2 occasions yesterday and on 1 today the track-pad (and its left and right buttons underneath it) entirely stopped working seemingly out of nowhere, whilst every other bit of the computer worked absolutely fine. I tried disabling and enabling the track-pad with the Function button combination on the keyboard, but to no avail. The only way for the problem to be resolved is a restart of the machine. The temperatures of the laptop are fine, no new programs or files have been downloaded and all other anti-virus, anti-malware, sfc, etc. scans have returned positive (in the good sense) results. Also, no liquids or the-like have been spilled over it. It's a 1 year-old PC.

Is there a way to solely check the condition of the track-pad, as I suspect that it might be dying (especially if this occurrence gets more frequent)? Thank you! :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 18 August 2017 - 08:57 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:06 PM

It is not impossible that you have a problem with the trackpad but it is more likely - and much easier to try - to re-install the drivers.

Device manager, then expand the entry for the trackpad and click twice on the name of the pad. This brings up the Properties box. Click drivers then Uninstall drivers. This will call for a re-boot which will install a fresh copy of the drivers. I have just tried this on a laptop runninig 8.1 and the pad still worked after doing this.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:49 PM

+1 with Chris.

I've seen touchpads 'stop' while Windows does an auto update to their drivers.

but once completed, there's been no further incident, so I guess the proof with yours will be if it continues to happen.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:40 AM

Thank you! I have 2 pretty stupid questions, though. I can't seem to locate anything with the name "pad" or "track" or the-like under device manager. I assume that what I am looking for is under mouse? If yes, there comes up 2 "HID-compliant mouse" entries. Should I do what you suggested on both?

Also, just to be clear, should I update the driver or uninstall the driver?

Thank you once more.:)

9165230Q.png

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:42 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:11 PM

My Cyrillic lets me down, but yes, uninstall both. And yes, uninstall not get new drivers.

You may have a minor problem re-booting after you do this because your mouse and trackpad drivers will have been removed. Just use the key board. 'Ctrl+Alt+Delete' will get you to screen where you may be able to (1) use the 'Tab' key to move around to select the power button then press 'Enter' to shut down, or, (2) one of the options offered will be to open Task Manager, then use the 'Tab' key to select 'Shut down' and press 'Enter'.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:14 PM

Thanks! I'm going to do it right now and hopefully everything will be fine.:)

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 05:19 PM

Done! It all worked absolutely alright, as you described it. Hopefully, I won't have this problem occur again (I've updated all other drivers today in the morning and now is night and the problem hasn't occurred yet, which is a good sign). Thank you.:)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users