Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Spam started a downward spiral

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CharisaL

CharisaL

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 PM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:56 PM

We have 5 email addresses on the same server. One of these email addresses suddenly started receiving spam messages. And I'm not talking about legitimate businesses sending out mailers. These are the disgusting and suggestive things that make you blush just reading the subject line. Then a second email address started receiving the same types of messages, easily around ten a day, if not more, each time from a different email address, so moving it to the junk folders and blocking the address doesn't make much of a difference.

I started realizing that my mails are not getting through to some of our recipients. Then the first email address that was spammed, got spam messages from itself. We checked with our service provider, and they said our domain was not hacked. However the spam did not stop and a third email address now started receiving it. We were concerned at our address being used to spam, afraid that it might go out to our address book, with our email address as the sender.

Then, my cousin found one of the emails I sent him in his junk folder, meaning our mails are now seen as spam.

Along with this issue, we also, around the same time, started having issues with our internet. It is connected to our wifi and then suddenly it would say "No internet connectivity". The connection lights on the router will flash for a while, sometimes even going red, and then reconnect.

Our data also spiked, using more than double what we usually do.

All this has been taking place in a period of about 2 weeks, maybe even 1 week.

We have Bitdefender installed on our computers and have run all the scans available on it. I've installed MalwareBytes and run a scan, but it found nothing noteworthy. I've tried to check startups, but am inexperienced in this regard, resulting in me looking at a list of programs but having no idea which ones are essential, which ones are harmful etc.

To me it feels like it all started with the spam emails and it's spiraling out of control. Any ideas of what I can do to fix it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,440 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 29 August 2017 - 01:57 PM

Hi, sorry you were missed...

Please do these...
  • It is recommended to turn off your antivirus program. Click on the E5rfZI9.png button to see which antivirus is currently enabled:
c4VVzVO.png
  • Turn off your antivirus program. See here how to do this.
  • Check the option beside: Enable detection of potentially unwanted applications.
  • Now click on Advanced Settings and make sure that the option Clean threats automatically is NOT checked, and select the following:
Enable detection of potentially unsafe applications
Enable detection of suspicious applications
Scan archives
Enable Anti-Stealth Technology
  • Click on the Change button and select only Operating memory, Autostart locations and drive C:\ to be scanned.
yKulboi.jpg
  • Push the dtoGjAL.png button.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
8L8IBHJ.png
  • When the scan completes a list of found threats will open automatically (if any malicious files are found).
imxEgHt.png
  • Push thecRhRYZ8.png button and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan.txt. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Push the 9IjfdXq.png button.
  • Check the box beside RHzfZB1.png to uninstall the application when closed.
  • Push Vc3btaC.png and the close the application clicking the X in upper right corner.

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users