Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lenovo yoga pro 2 refuses to stay on, battery not charging, bios issue?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Claire1994cat

Claire1994cat

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:56 AM

I've got a lenovo yoga pro 2, been generally decent but recently has been turning off randomly, very shortly after turn on or refusing to boot completely at all. Battery is also not charging most of the time. Preparing automatic repair, then it gives me a blue screen offering advanced options etc. It then generally shuts down before I can select anything.

Have shut it down a couple of times after it's loaded windows but that has not fixed the issue. I am unable to keep it on long enough to update drivers/bios etc and am a bit stuck. I also tried to boot from usb but it wouldn't stay on long enough for that.

I removed the battery and the clock battery, tried running it with clock batt on ac power with no main battery, it often turns on with this combo but sites a minute after login.

Any help would make my day! Thanks xx Claire

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

what is the fan doing before it shuts off?

is it spinning at full speed? can you feel air flow out the vents?

reason I say this is if the vents are plugged and no air flow then your processor is overheating and your computer is going into shutdown to protect the computer.

if the fans are spinning at full speed then it could be plugged up or the thermal bond between the processor and the heatsink is broken, in this case you would need to

remove the heatsink and clean off the old thermal paste and install new thermal paste and then reinstall heatsink to fix the problem.

first thing to do is check airflow if there is non then blow the vent out with air, but be careful if you make the fan spin to fast you can melt the plastic bushings and ruin the fan.

if you blow it out and there is still no air flow listen to see if the fan is even spinning and moving air.

so it's probably gonna be one of three things:

1. plugged vents

2. bad fan

3. thermal bond between heatsink and gpu.

this is where I start with a computer randomly shutting off

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,263 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2017 - 09:50 AM

Hi Claire, welcome to Bleeping Computer.

How old is this Ultrabook?

We need to know if the exhaust fan is running or not.   You can tell if the fan is running by putting your hand over the side exhaust vent, you should feel air coming out of the vent.

There should be a vent on one side of the case, this is an exhaust vent.  There is a vent on the bottom of the case where air is pulled into the case.  With the computer [collor=red]off[/color] use short blasts of a canned duster through the intake and exhaust vents.

When this computer shuts down can you immediately restart it?

If it will not restart shortly after it shuts itself down this could be a overheating issue. 

Is this computer being used on a solid flat surface so it can have a unimpeded air flow?

You might try blowing out the insides with a canned "duster", this is often incorrectly referred to canned air. 

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 583 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 10:52 AM

if it's not charging then it is probably the power supply, they have a "smart pin" that communicates with the bios and the communicate battery wattage and some other info.   if this circuit it bad then it won't charge the battery.

and the fact is if your battery is dead and your adapter is going bad, and your computer is turning off randomly then it probably the power supply!

if you decide to replace it, make sure you pay the extra money and buy an "OEM" power supply don't buy a $13 knock off because it probably won't charge your battery or won't last very long.

(OEM - Original Equipment Manufacturer)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users