Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Setting up secure email

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 Curlyp

Curlyp

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

Hello Community,

I am new here and could use some advice!

I am not sure if this is the right spot (or even correct forum to post on), but I thought I would give it a try.

I am looking to either create my own email server or purchasing private email hosting that I can use with my own domain. I have been looking into the laws and it seems Switzerland, Norway, and many EU countries is the best place to have the server located, as they have very strict laws on privacy and data protection. Currently I use Google/Microsoft for my emails, but they are big into data mining and invading privacy. I want to move away from it and use my own domain.

What is the best route for me to take and where should I start?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,536 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:03:29 PM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:36 AM

why? what do you have to hide? :whistle:

#3 Curlyp

Curlyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:41 AM

why? what do you have to hide? :whistle:

Nothing, I just don't want Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, etc, to data mine the hell out of my emails. It is none of their business what I purchase, who I talk to, etc. If you want to let Google know everything you do, that is fine, but I am ready to move on.  Plus, why wouldn't someone want privacy and security?

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,536 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:48 AM

so your looking for a different email service then google or yahoo?

holy crap man, there are hundreds of them,

hushmail, zoho, mail.com, fastmail, inbox.com, GMX, Lycos, AOL, yandex.....etc etc

i could be here all day, take your pick....

#5 Curlyp

Curlyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

so your looking for a different email service then google or yahoo?

holy crap man, there are hundreds of them,

hushmail, zoho, mail.com, fastmail, inbox.com, GMX, Lycos, AOL, yandex.....etc etc

i could be here all day, take your pick....

Yes an no. I want to use my own domain. I would rather purchase email service and/or server space from a company that houses their server's overseas where privacy and security is taken more seriously.  AOL, hotmail, yahoo, lycos, etc, don't care about your privacy.  They will data mine your emails and sell the information.  Many countries, for example , Switzerland and Norway, have very strict laws against privacy and are not allowed to invade your email privacy unless there is a court order.

#6 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,536 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:02 PM

what has made you so paranoid?

#7 Curlyp

Curlyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:06 PM

What is up with the 20 questions.  Why am I not allowed to have privacy and security.  You sound like a hard leftest.  If you don't have any advice to give, please don't leave anything at all.

#8 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,536 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:35 PM

What is up with the 20 questions.  Why am I not allowed to have privacy and security.  You sound like a hard leftest.  If you don't have any advice to give, please don't leave anything at all.

i am just wondering what privacy and security you are looking for that your current email provider does not supply?

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,359 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:14 PM

Secure e-mail service providers

For heaven's sake, no one could possibly answer your question to your satisfaction, particularly since you won't define what you consider secure.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#10 Curlyp

Curlyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:55 PM

Secure e-mail service providers

For heaven's sake, no one could possibly answer your question to your satisfaction, particularly since you won't define what you consider secure.

lol for heaven's sake....are you serious?  I have defined what I am looking for, but it seems I am dealing with incompetent liberal folks that don't know how to read. I stated in my original post, "I am looking to either create my own email server or purchasing private email hosting that I can use with my own domain."  Then I went on to say, "I want to use my own domain. I would rather purchase email service and/or server space from a company that houses their server's overseas where privacy and security is taken more seriously.  AOL, hotmail, yahoo, lycos, etc, don't care about your privacy."

But don't worry, I don't want to be part of a community that does not want to help..instead of badgering me on why I want a privacy and security and suggest that I should give in to these huge corporate fu^ks, just either answer the questions on which company I could purchase from, or don't answer at all if you don't know.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,359 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 AM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:01 PM

Your rudeness is duly noted.

The research you require is yours, and yours alone, to do.  No one could possibly answer to your satisfaction, so no one is trying.  But that doesn't mean that you have not been offered guidance of value, contrary to your assertions.

No one besides yourself can decide if a provider will give you the level of privacy and security you seek.  And no one else with any sense would try.

Edited by britechguy, 18 August 2017 - 05:02 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#12 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,536 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 07:38 AM

Your rudeness is duly noted.

The research you require is yours, and yours alone, to do.  No one could possibly answer to your satisfaction, so no one is trying.  But that doesn't mean that you have not been offered guidance of value, contrary to your assertions.

No one besides yourself can decide if a provider will give you the level of privacy and security you seek.  And no one else with any sense would try.

:thumbup2:

#13 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:19 AM

OP, you might want to take a look at that. Haven't tried it myself, but I hear it might be want you're looking for. Good luck.

As a slight detour, when it comes to mail, it doesn't get any more secure than using standard snail mail. I know that no-one is allowed or cares enough to open up and read the mail that you are sending to someone this way. However, is it true that the postal service takes photos of the letters' envelopes and, apart from that, is there any other database being filled when it comes to sending mail? Because I feel like it would be strange for classic mail to be completely unregulated, but then again it would probably take massive amounts of resources to register all mail that goes through the service. For example, can they check who sent mail to whom 6 month ago if, let's say, the police required that info? Just curious, I haven't actually sent classic mail in a year. :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 19 August 2017 - 08:21 AM.

#14 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 767 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:29 AM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

Regarding the creation of your own email server, an article describes the possible pitfalls, learning curve, etc. of doing so. Admittedly dated (2015) but probably still germane. It also mentions Norwegian Runbox for email.
https://www.geekwire.com/2015/why-you-shouldnt-try-to-host-your-own-email/
I'll also add: you asked a detailed question stating your desires, and though initial responses were not in like kind, you responded with courteous restraint until.. well, things went downhill. To me, this didn't reflect the normal good standards of this forum.
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

#15 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 PM

Posted 19 August 2017 - 02:14 PM

Interesting article, r.a.d.. It's funny how much people who read it oftentimes care about their e-mail privacy, whereas in real life the mail box usually remains open non-stop. Heck, when I was younger I would put my keys from home there and just leave it closed, but unlocked, because I didn't want to hold them in my hand or for them to weigh in in my pocket when I was out playing.:lmao:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users