Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC slow, often hanging, and multiple (large) instances of Chrome

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#76 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 37,704 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:18 AM

Run this Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit.

Follow the instructions in the thread below. Make sure to download the MBAR linked in it. Let me know if you're not able to launch it and run a scan.

https://forums.malwarebytes.com/topic/198907-requested-resource-is-in-use-error-unable-to-start-malwarebytes/

Before you run the program make sure you follow the instructions under Section 5.
5. Unselect sectors and system below. Hit the scan button.

If you manage to run a scan, delete everything it finds, and then copy/paste the content of the "mbar-log-TODAY'S-DATE.txt" log that is located in the MBAR folder here after.
<<<>>>

Let me know if the problem persists.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#77 m1eyp

m1eyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:14 PM

Program reported all was clean!  Just before I ran the program, I had to kill IE in the Task Manager because it had frozen again.

Attached Files

#78 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 37,704 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2017 - 09:33 AM

I suggest your remov Internet Explorer 11.

How to.
https://www.wikihow.com/Uninstall-Internet-Explorer-11-for-Windows-7

Read or print the page before proceeding.

Step 6
Wait for the uninstallation to complete. Uninstalling Internet Explorer 11 may take a few minutes. Once the uninstallation is complete, click Restart Now to reboot your computer and complete the process.
Internet Explorer will be reverted to the previously-installed version. This could be Internet Explorer 10, 9, or 8.

Step 7
When the PC has restarted, you may wish to hide the Windows Update for Internet Explorer for Windows 7 for x86/x64-based Systems to prevent IE11 from being mistakenly reinstalled again. (see screenshot below)

How is the computer running now?

#79 m1eyp

m1eyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 07:05 AM

I uninstalled IE11.  It rolled back to IE8, which most websites started complaining about!

I reinstalled Chrome, and all seems well.  The computer is running really nicely for a couple of hours, and before I would have had to kill processes in the Task Manager by now.  So fingers crossed...

Not sure how I disable Windows auto-updates though.

#80 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 37,704 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 09:14 AM

Hi,

Not sure how I disable Windows auto-updates though.

http://ccm.net/faq/15286-how-to-disable-updates-in-windows-7

===

You may wish to install Internet Exlore version 10 which is available here.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/download/details.aspx?id=39232

Look at the Install instructions section
You can download the installer and run it later.
I suggest you do that.

When the Download is complete closed all running applications and run the installer file.

When completed restart the computer normally. If all is well then install the Updates for that version using IE 10.

Refer to the Related Resources on the page above.

#81 m1eyp

m1eyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2017 - 04:26 PM

Hmmm.  I have since had to kill large Chrome processes to get the PC running smoothly again - twice.

I have disabled Windows Updates.  I have not installed IE10.

#82 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 37,704 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 08:04 AM

Is it possible that your chorme settings are being synced?

Go to this Chome site:

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/165139?hl=en&visit_id=1-636464333003076961-2895244757&rd=1

Sigh oin to Chrome as requested on the first line.

Under the People section.

Click the Sync tab.

Slide the sync everything to the left to stop it.

Restart chrome.

How is it now?

#83 m1eyp

m1eyp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

Done all that.

Still the same.  Every couple of hours, everything slows down / seizes up, I go to Task Manager and fine 8/9 Chrome processes, some seemingly very large, I kill them all, then things are OK again.

Attached Files

#84 nasdaq

nasdaq

• Malware Response Team
  • 37,704 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2017 - 02:21 PM

Hi,

The CSRSS process could be problematic.

We will check your BIOS and Master boot record.

Read carefully and follow these steps.
TDSS
  • Download TDSSKiller and save it to your Desktop.
  • Doubleclick on TDSSKiller.exe to run the application.
  • Then click on Start Scan.
  • If a suspicious file is detected, the default action will be Skip, click on Continue.
  • If an infected file is detected, the default action will be Cure, click on Continue.
  • Important: Do NOT change the default action on your own unless instructed by a malware Helper! Doing so may render your computer unbootable.
  • It may ask you to reboot the computer to complete the process. Click on Reboot Now.
  • If no reboot is required, click on Report. A log file should appear. Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
  • If a reboot is required, the report can also be found in your root directory, (usually C:\ folder) in the form of "TDSSKiller.[Version]_[Date]_[Time]_log.txt". Please copy and paste the contents of that file here.
  • ===

Download http://public.avast.com/~gmerek/aswMBR.exe (aswMBR.exe) to your desktop. Double click the aswMBR.exe to run it.
    • Click the "Scan" button to start scan.
    • Upon completion of the scan, click Save log, and save it to your desktop. (Note - do not select any Fix at this time) <- IMPORTANT
    • Please paste the contents of that log in your next reply.
    There shall also be a file on your desktop named MBR.dat. Right click that file and select Send To>Compressed (zipped) folder. Please attach that zipped file in your next reply.
    ===

Wait for further instructions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users