Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What is CDIS.Custom?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 JimmyRiddle

JimmyRiddle

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:36 AM

I saw this in recent docs list (under the apple sign) - i have no recollection of using it so clicked on it to see what it is, but get message saying 'there is no app set to open this doc', when i click search AppStore for one it comes up with some editing package priced at 30$. 

Any idea what it is, and why it would be in my recent docs? Given i've never knowingly accessed it, and it seems dont have the software, why would it be there? I googled it and only came up with very old reference to changing Language settings. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 AM

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:48 AM

That is a system file that is used to determine the language that is used to display startup messages. It is supposed to be in the var/log directory

If you open a terminal shell and enter   cd /var/log, then   ls -l, and check to make sure a copy of that file is still in that directory.

Can't say how it ended up in Recent Documents. That's really just a virtual directory that lists items that were recently accessed. Check the timestamp on the file from the ls -l command and see if it was recently changed.

I don't recommend opening that file unless you plan to make changes to the configuration settings in it. But if you are curious, you should be able to open a command prompt and enter   cat <file path>/CDIS.custom to at least be able to read it. You may  have to put     sudo in front of that command.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users