Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Always have a unique root dll show up, but file does not exist

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Trestle

Trestle

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 PM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:09 AM

Whenever I run CCleaner registry check, it shows a unique DLL, never the same between boot cycles, and the actual DLL file does not exist my drive. 

Here is a random example:

ActiveX/COM Issue InProcServer32\%SystemRoot%\system32\puwnnn.dll HKCR\CLSID\{E5B07C67-ABC0-A23C-677B-538540C9B336}

But there is no file puwnn.dll on my computer.

Other than some  extra COM SURROGATE processes, all other scans show nothing, I have Norton active and Malware Bytes active.

I can delete this registry entry, only for another one to show up next boot cycle.  Is there a risk?  How to tell?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 06:52 AM

Very weird, there might be a malware that is constantly dynamic and embeds itself as a registry. Have you tried going into Windows "Safe Mode with networking" and doing a scan there? Additionally, I recommend scanning with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, and Hittman Pro for more thorough malware check.

#3 Trestle

Trestle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:21 PM

I do full scans using Norton and Malwarebytes, nothing unusual, Norton finds tracking cookies.  I also use the latest AdwCleaner, and it also does not catch anything that affects this symptom.  I can try Hittman Pro next, and also scans while in Safe Mode with Networking.  Thanks.

#4 JoshRoss

JoshRoss

• Members
  • 87 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 01:53 AM

Cheers. Have you had any luck sorting out the issue? It is always good to write if a solution has worked. If someone has a similar problem in the future, they will know that it can be solved. If it doesn't work, it might be that CCleaner itself is detecting a false positive. Could also be cracked/other means obtained software that causes the panic. Considering that not a single anti-malware provider detected it as a problem. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users