Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

'real Body World'

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 MaraM

MaraM

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:04 PM

Please, please don't read any further until you are fully aware of what 'Body World' is. I know headings such as this are often used to 'lure' people to read farther - but honestly, this is a very sensitive subject and while I find the science of it fascinating, I myself have mixed feelings about other aspects of it.

'Real Body World' is "in your face science" - with life-like settings, created by using real human bodies(a plastination technique has been used on the real bodies for preservation) "for instruction and education".

The Science World very near our home is hosting 'Body Worlds 3' for the next few months - some feel it would be a great thing to see and a great 'science class' for students - others are repulsed.

http://www.mytelus.com/news/article.do?pag...043&lid=hp2

http://www.scienceworld.ca/bodyworlds/index.html
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:23 AM

Education is one thing (ie take them to schools and colleges for biology and anatomy classes). but this just feels wrong its like an art show of bodies.

Posted Image

#3 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 12:59 AM

Well, that is nothing compared to a place here in the US called the Body Farm or something like that.

It's a farm where police, officials, and other entities send dead bodies to this farm, and wht he has to do is let these bodies stay out in all conditions you can think of. The reason for it is that investigators, crime scene investigators, etc,,, can see the effect of what happens to a body if....... for example:

flies eat off of it
other animals eat off of it.. and which ones won't
how long will it take to decay in this weather, in the water, and then pull parts of the body off, just to see how long the body must have been in the water before the limbs are easily pulled off, when they are found in waters.
etc......

Investigators even bring dead bodies to this farm to help solve crimes, because on his farm, there are many dead bodies that are actually above ground, just rotting away, all in the name of science, investigations, learning, etc....

I saw this on tv about a year or so ago, and it freaked me out. And he's used to the stench of dead people. You couldn't bring him a corpse that will make him shiver.

Oh Well....

#4 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 AM

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:44 AM

AWW that is sick and wrong :thumbsup: . Why would anyone do that it's crazy!!

#5 athelos

athelos

• Members
  • 140 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2007 - 07:47 AM

That was really weird. I was reading the article and caught the picture of the "skin man" in the corner of my eye. It didnt really hit home that it actually was a REAL body holding up his skin!! It looks just like a model.

Which brings me to my point. Whats wrong with simply using models? You can see exactly how the body works from them and they are life like enough. I think Blackspyder is right. It seems more like some sort of twisted art exhibition than a look at the human body.
Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.
--Charles Schultz

#6 EnigmaChick

EnigmaChick

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:07 AM

One thing I will say, I will not be signing up for this! :thumbsup:

There seems to be a fascination to make things seem more and more realistic, this seems like a step further in that department.

If someone knows what this is about and wants to go and see it I don't have a problem with(however I would not go) but it should not be pushed on anyone like a school trip because this is something that is not just an average field trip.

However from what I read the creators of this seem to think there is not as much controversy about it than I believe there really is. How can they be so naive? This is going to be highly controversial!

Oh and the second link just leads to a 404 page.

Edited by UrbanChick, 26 March 2007 - 01:09 AM.

I'm waiting for a average computer that can't be infected with malware unless it's intentionally ........ 5 years later: I am still waiting.

A Malware Fighting Tiger's Blog

#7 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 01:32 AM

Judging by the horrified comments so far I wonder if perhaps this sort of exhibition is just what our society needs to help us get over our squeamishness and help us come to terms with death and the fact that our bodies are just meat when we die.

What is life and how does it animate this flesh. Is there a spirit? A soul? Have we been too detached from the reality of life and death?

Only our conditioning and societies tabboos cause us to think that a display like this is "wrong"

My only concern would be for the feelings of relatives, but I am certain that none of these bodies would be likely to be of people who had living relatives. Or am I just being hopeful?

Anyway, these are just my thoughts on the matter
I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

#8 EnigmaChick

EnigmaChick

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:28 AM

Judging by the horrified comments so far I wonder if perhaps this sort of exhibition is just what our society needs to help us get over our squeamishness and help us come to terms with death and the fact that our bodies are just meat when we die.

What is life and how does it animate this flesh. Is there a spirit? A soul? Have we been too detached from the reality of life and death?

Only our conditioning and societies tabboos cause us to think that a display like this is "wrong"

My only concern would be for the feelings of relatives, but I am certain that none of these bodies would be likely to be of people who had living relatives. Or am I just being hopeful?

Anyway, these are just my thoughts on the matter

I think the question is do we really need this sort of thing? As I said those that know about and want to go to it I don't have a problem with.

Of course a lot of people are going to be squeamish over such a thing, not just because of its nature but because of the strong visuals it gives. It is for many people a nature human reaction, how much can anyone take before it makes them feel sick? It's different for everyone.

Why is it so important for us to see visuals of what our bodies look like after death anyway? I don't see how needing to see something like this is going to help people come to terms with that whole concept as many of the exhibits are based around what the body looks like in general, the difference is these are actual dead bodies and not models.

I merely don't see why it is so very important that dead bodies be used rather than models given the technology we know have. Is a bit more realism worth all of what it takes to do what they're doing?

Edited by UrbanChick, 26 March 2007 - 05:29 AM.

I'm waiting for a average computer that can't be infected with malware unless it's intentionally ........ 5 years later: I am still waiting.

#9 Constantine

Constantine

• Members
  • 275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:02 AM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 05:18 PM

Why do we need it? Well, perhaps we don't need it. Should it be allowed? Hell, yes! I guess like all exhibitions, people choose to go. I imagine that people who were disturbed by this would choose not to attend.

I think this exhibition is a useful and interesting learning tool. Let's face it, if kids went to this exhibition and all the bodies were artificial it would not have the same impact. They would not feel the same sense of awe and wonder.

It is like when you see a print of the Mona Lisa or the REAL Mona Lisa.

Edited by Constantine, 26 March 2007 - 05:19 PM.

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.

#10 EnigmaChick

EnigmaChick

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 06:10 PM

Why do we need it? Well, perhaps we don't need it. Should it be allowed? Hell, yes! I guess like all exhibitions, people choose to go. I imagine that people who were disturbed by this would choose not to attend.

I think this exhibition is a useful and interesting learning tool. Let's face it, if kids went to this exhibition and all the bodies were artificial it would not have the same impact. They would not feel the same sense of awe and wonder.

The whole point about kids is are they getting a choice as to whether they go? This shouldn't be forced on anyone!

#11 ambellina

ambellina

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 07:03 PM

The whole point about kids is are they getting a choice as to whether they go? This shouldn't be forced on anyone!

kids pretty much always have a choice on whether or not to attend a school trip, i think.

i think there is very little to be disgusted about - it is the human body. it is what we are. but i understand how loving our bodies doesn't mean we want to know what we would look like peeled open :thumbsup: i wouldn't be to fond of becoming a flesh mannequin when i'm gone. its very interesting for those who would like to go, i would say. but i'm perfectly content with going a regular ole museum of ant farms and fossils.

#12 nn23

nn23

• Members
  • 461 posts
  •  

Posted 26 March 2007 - 08:35 PM

hmmm, if we werent judging and disaproving, or feeling squeamish, or sick from this exibition then how would we feel?...interested? curious? entertained perhaps? i prefer to feel interested, curious and entertained by exhibitions in life and so therefore i choose to identify with the marvel in the process of this exhibition and noticing the different shapes and concepts behind it with scrutiny, i like that, keeps my brain ticking>>>feeds my esteem>>>inspires me in all realms :thumbsup:

Facing diversity can be a very healthy and productive thing :flowers:

NICE ONE :trumpet:
nn23

Edited by nn23, 26 March 2007 - 08:37 PM.

#13 MaraM

MaraM
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:02 PM

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:38 PM

People really do seem to have varied reactions to hearing about the exhibit, but I suspect only those who are truly interested actually go (it's not cheap to attend, either).

I believe that there is actually an overwelming list of people requesting that their bodies be used in these and similar exhibits - and yes, I can only hope that their family members agree with their decision as egad, imagine walking in to one and finding your granny 'standing' there. Eep!

Actually we surprised our our daughter and 9 year old grandson with tickets - and they found it fascinating. Children are now often raised in 'pretend worlds' - that the very idea that those are 'real veins just like we have!' etc has been enough to spark his ongoing interest in biology.

Me? Well, you'd have to drag me kicking and screaming in the door - hoot!
Never let your computer realize you are in a hurry or just typing the last few words of a vital document.

While outer events might make one happy or sad, happiness itself is entirely internal, and at all times completely within one's power.

#14 no one

no one

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 27 March 2007 - 12:15 AM

Hummm, without trying to sound too morbid, it does sound interesting , But I would like to visit this Museum as well http://www.collphyphil.org/mutter.asp , I suspect it has to do with a much lesser degree of whether you watch the nurse draw your blood or look away. (I want to see whats going on )

"Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

"Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster"

Posted Image

#15 EnigmaChick

EnigmaChick

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 27 March 2007 - 07:40 AM

Hummm, without trying to sound too morbid, it does sound interesting , But I would like to visit this Museum as well http://www.collphyphil.org/mutter.asp , I suspect it has to do with a much lesser degree of whether you watch the nurse draw your blood or look away. (I want to see whats going on )

Sounds like a medical circus!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users