Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No sound after Windows 10 re-install

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 crybllrd

crybllrd

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:50 PM

I bought a new HDD and SSD drive, so I went ahead and put a fresh install of Win10 on there.  

Everything went smoothly, but now I'm not getting any sound through my speakers.  

I plugged my speakers into my mp3 player using the exact input that the computer was using, and it played my mp3s perfectly, i.e., doesn't appear to be a speaker/wire issue.

I checked the Volume Mixer, nothing is muted and I can see a signal for the video (that I can't hear) playing in the background.

ZxPdEWu.png

Also, on Playback Devices it says that speakers are "Not plugged in" and the Realtek Digital Output is showing a sound signal.

Q2QFlub.png

The volume is up, of course, not muted anywhere in settings. I have it plugged into my onboard motherboard's soundcard, and it worked perfectly before the Win10  re-install.

I uninstalled drivers, updated them with Driver Booster, restarted and still nothing.

Finally, in my Device Manager I uninstalled both of these in the picture below, restarted, re-installed the drivers, and still nothing.  

klJrJHj.png

The only thing different that I may have changes is that I bought a headphone/mic set that plugs in to USB. That works fine, I unplugged it, and now there's no sound. To be honest, I'm not sure if the sound was working after the re-install of Win10 and before the insertion of the USB headphones, as it was only a few minutes and I didn't think to test the speakers. 

I hope I provided all the information! Please let me know if there's anything else I can try! Really hoping nothing is cooked as I completed this build 3 weeks ago, and everything is brand new.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Lvlpost

Lvlpost

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:58 AM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:07 AM

First, you can try to simply roll it back to the last good configuration. Right-click the Start button, choose Device Manager, then right-click your sound driver, choose Properties, and browse to the Driver tab. Click the Roll Back Driver option if available, and Windows 10 will begin the process.

#3 crybllrd

crybllrd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 AM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 02:56 AM

Thanks for the reply.  

I rolled back both of them, one at a time, and restarted and it still isn't working. 

I also tried plugging the speakers into the front audio out jack. Neither work, but I do hear the sort of "feedback sound" of the plug being inserted.

Edited by crybllrd, 18 August 2017 - 04:40 AM.

#4 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 108 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 PM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:49 AM

What happens if you choose Speakers as the Default? I suspect that it's saying not installed due to the headphones being USB rather than 3.5 jack plug.
The only other thing is to check that Enhancements isn't active.
Right click on volume>choose playback devices>choose speakers (or whichever is the default audio)>click properties>Enhancements>add a tick to the disable enhancements box.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,810 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:30 AM

First, you can try to simply roll it back to the last good configuration. Right-click the Start button, choose Device Manager, then right-click your sound driver, choose Properties, and browse to the Driver tab. Click the Roll Back Driver option if available, and Windows 10 will begin the process.

Last Known Good Configuration hasn't been around since Windows 7.

Edited by dc3, 18 August 2017 - 09:30 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users