Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop won't boot with/from external hdd

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Junior_tech_guy

Junior_tech_guy

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 PM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:40 PM

Hey techs,

So, I converted my hdd into an external one (because the internal hdd port on motherboard is faulty). After that, when I plug it during boot, the laptop freezes up and I can't do anything (tried on another laptop, same issue). I can connect it after booting and access it without any issue. However I want to use this External hdd as my bootable device. Any idea?

Laptop: HP X360 M6-W101DX
HDD: 1TB toshiba
HDD enclosure: Salcar 2.5" USB 3.0

Edited by hamluis, 19 August 2017 - 05:34 AM.
Moved from External Hardware to W10 Spt - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:57 PM

You might try going into your bios and changing the boot order to USB first.

#3 Junior_tech_guy

Junior_tech_guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:00 PM

Already did that. No changes

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:04 AM

My hunch is that Windows (assuming that's what you're using) needs to be specially configured to run from a USB drive.  Officially, WindowsToGo (the special mode that allows it to run via USB) is only supported on Enterprise editions of Windows.  However, I've used WinToUSB to create a USB bootable Windows install with a normal version, as per http://lifehacker.com/how-to-run-a-portable-version-of-windows-from-a-usb-dri-1565509124

Unfortunately, I doubt you'll be able to just get your old install to run via USB.

With Linux I suspect you'd need to run Boot Repair or otherwise re-configure Grub to point at a USB drive instead of a SATA one.

Edited by jonuk76, 18 August 2017 - 12:09 AM.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 Junior_tech_guy

Junior_tech_guy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 07:22 AM

It has Windows 10 Home installed on it. Also it's an external HDD not an USB Drive.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,437 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:39 PM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:14 AM

How did you install Windows to the external. Did you simply take the internal and put it in an enclosure or copy from the internal to the external. I don't believe Windows will boot using that method.

See this page. You will need have a Windows 10 install disk Edit: iso image and then extract the contents with 7 zip to get the image.esd file. Use the Media Creation Tool. I have never used the method on the page so I can't confirm if it works for me. The wim file on a Windows iso using the Media Creation Tool has been replaced with esd which is encrypted. The last command would substitute esd for wim.

Motherboards have multiple ports for the HDD unless a laptop. Is this a laptop?

Edit: Corrected link. Also, If the computer is UEFI then you will need to change it to Legacy Boot in order to boot the external drive.

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 August 2017 - 08:24 AM.

#7 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,180 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:24 AM

Also it's an external HDD not an USB Drive.

However you state it's in a USB enclosure?

Laptop: HP X360 M6-W101DX
HDD: 1TB toshiba
HDD enclosure: Salcar 2.5" USB 3.0

It's in a USB enclosure therefore it is using the USB interface, rather than a SATA one. That is what I was trying to say.

I think you will either have to do what John mentions (haven't tried it myself) or use something like WinToUSB to create a WindowsToGo installation (which I have done, and confirm worked fine in Windows 8.1 so should also work in 10, and it also supports UEFI boot modes).

7sbvuf-6.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users