Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Win7 Comp won't start No Install Disc TECH SAVVY PLEASE

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Allahdorn

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:05:28 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:50 PM

Hi. Any help is appreciated. This is a long one (sorry for the read) 

BACKSTORY: A few days ago I was attempting to do some clean up and performance work on my Dell Intel XPS I7 desktop which had Windows 7 on it. I uninstalled a ton of unnecessary programs (all of which I double checked to make sure they weren't crucial) and I also ended up changing the virtual memory to "No paging file" under my computer's properties (the last thing I did) and had to restart my computer.

None of this really matters now because ever since that restart, my computer fails to start in every single way. Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. If windows files have been damaged or configured incorrectly, startup repair can help diagnose and fix the problem yadda yadda yadda is what it tells me. It gives me two options: Launch Startup Repair or Start Windows Normally. The latter option obviously doesn't work...

BUT TO MAKE MATTERS WORSE: I bought this computer refurbished from a micro center so it never came with a so-called installation disk which is what the computer tells me I need in order to Launch Startup Repair. The message it gives me is: 

1. Insert your Widows Installation Disc

2. Choose language settings

3. Click Repair Computer 

If you do not have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer. Status: 0x0000000f Info: The Boot selection failed ecause a required device is inaccessible

Before I continue, I have tried every option I know how in order to try and get this to start. Safe mode, safe mode with command prompt, all of the options it gives you when you press the F8 or F2 keys. "Repair your computer" doesn't even work and ends up taking me back to the screen saying I need the disk. 

This is where it gets a little f'd up. I contacted my manufacturer (Dell) and they had me run diagnostics on my machine using F12 on startup, and to this day I've ran the tests 4 times with no error messages. Then they had me proceed to their website to use their Recovery and Restore program and downloaded it onto a USB drive that I knew had storage. 

I proceeded to boot up my computer with the USB in place and press F12 to access the drive, and the program starts. But not even halfway through the 1st out of 3rd step, the Recovery and Restore program tells me that there is no hard drive found, and the program cannot continue repairing my computer. 

I called back Dell technical service and they told me that my computer may have a virus that is preventing the program from detecting my hard drive, but this doesn't make any sense since I ran two different antivirus scans and antimalware not even thirty minutes before all this happened and my computer refused to start up.  They ran another diagnostics and it came up good, but were unable to help me any further (good tech support right). 

Am I screwed? Do I need to install a whole new Windows 7 software or buy a new hard drive? Is there a way of downloading and burning the software to a CD or something and how would you go about doing that? If you're really bored and took the time to at least read my post, thank you. Can upload any pictures if needed. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HyperHenry

• Malware Study Hall Sophomore
  • 690 posts
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:30 PM

If you have the product key which is sometimes on a sticker on the side or under the computer you can download and burn an ISO from the microsoft website to use to fix your computer or reinstall.

#3 JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,137 posts
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:31 PM

What version of Windows 7 do you have? Home or Pro?

Do you have a COA sticker on the side of the computer showing a legible Windows 7 key?

Do you need personal data off the computer?

#4 joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,049 posts
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:52 AM

From the Microsoft WWW site you can only download ISO images for retail versions of Windows (or System Builder) product keys.

If you system is an OEM - that means it came with Windows installed from the factory those product keys will not allow you to download keys from Microsoft.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users