Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC Freezes regularly, error 41 kernel power

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 daty37

daty37

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:12 PM

Hello,

I have had this issue for a while; essentially my PC freezes until I manually reboot it, while displaying whatever was on the screen at the time, and playing the last "frame" of audio repeatedly. I can usually reproduce the issue by playing a demanding video game for a period of time, or attempt to run an android emulator. However, sometimes the problem occurs much more unexpectedly, like after closing an application or a chrome tab, or even leaving the PC idle for a few minutes on the login screen or desktop.

After attempting to diagnose the issue on two different occasions (the last one ending in a new PSU) I have decided to come here for help.

Here are my specs: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/82Plw1xJKbvtAwsZUhGnNu0

I have previously wiped/reinstalled windows 10, disconnected and reconnected all connections from my mobo and other components, looked for out of date drivers and disabled unused audio drivers. 

Just looking for any ideas on where to go from here. Let me know if you need more information.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 daty37

daty37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:37 PM

Update

After speaking to a few friends about the issue it seems that since upgrading to windows 10, this same issue has been causing other people the same problem as well. I would say the problem did begin happening after upgrading.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:29 AM

Have you checked your video card?  This sounds like a video card problem to me.
But, Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

Report Set #1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be experiencing BSOD's) so that we can provide a complete analysis: (from the pinned topic at the top of the forum)   http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/
FYI - I don't often use the Perfmon report, so if it doesn't work please just let me know.

If you have problems with it running it, there's an alternate tool here (direct download link):  https://github.com/blueelvis/BSOD-Inspector/releases/download/1.0.5/BSODInspector-1.0.5.exe

NOTE:
Please zip up the (.ZIP) files - do not use .RAR or other compression utilities. 
.ZIP is the type file that can be uploaded to the forums.

Report Set #2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility: 

SpeedFan v. 4.5.1 and later (free from here:  http://www.almico.com/sfdownload.php ) can log temperatures in a CSV file:
You may not need to log temps - if uncertain, please ask.

To make it work (log the temps to a file) you have to do BOTH of the below:

1. Enable logging in general: Configure...Log...check "Enabled" then click on OK to save.

2. Enable logging for specific checks: Configure...Temperatures..left click on each sensor, then click on "Logged" at the bottom of the Window (for our purposes we want them all) then once you've selected "Logged" for all sensors, then click on OK to save.

The log will be located at C:\Program Files (x86)\SpeedFan

Naming: log files are named SFLogYYYYMMDD.csv, where YYYY is the year (four digits), MM is the month (2 digits, zero padded) and DD is the day (2 digits, zero padded). If a file already exists by that name, the file that already exists is renamed according to the following naming scheme: SFLogYYYYMMDD-CCCC.csv, where CCCC is a increasing number. The new file is then created with the standard file name scheme.

Notes: whenever you change the options related with logging, SpeedFan starts a new log file.

NOTE:You may want to turn logging off when we're done - as I don't know it's impact on performance or on the system.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 daty37

daty37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 12:12 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I have monitored temps recently while stressing the system and idling, and they are normal as they've always been. I can still log them if you're interested though.

Also I forgot to mention that the GPU voltage reading in HWInfo, speedfan, etc is inaccurate. 

Attached Files

Edited by daty37, 18 August 2017 - 12:21 PM.

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:50 PM

If you're confident of your temp readings, then all I'd be able to do is verify that.

In the Admin log, there's a bunch of ACPI errors

There's also an AMD access error.

So, the first thing is to use DDU to uninstall the AMD video drivers, then install a freshly downloaded copy of the latest version available for your version of the OS.
DDU is free here:  http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

Another step would be to ensure that your BIOS/UEFI is fully updated along with your chipset drivers.  Also, if you have any of the different Intel programs (Management Engine Interface (MEI); Rapid Storage Technology (RST); etc) please update them also.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version F3) dates from 2015.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  If you are able to install the update through Windows (without booting from an external drive), then go ahead and update it.  WARNING - if the computer might shut down during this procedure, please don't do it, as this may physically damage the computer and prevent it from booting.
FYI - W8 and W10 communicate more with the UEFI/BIOS than previous versions of Windows, so it's important to ensure that the UEFI/BIOS is kept up to date (and the outdated UEFI/BIOS' may be the cause of some compatibility issues).

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

These devices are disabled in Device Manager.  FYI - drivers still load before the devices are disabled (during boot).  As such, they can still cause problems.

TAP-Windows Adapter V9    ROOT\NET\0000    This device is disabled.
Realtek High Definition Audio    HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_10EC&DEV_0887&SUBSYS_1458A182&REV_1003\4&11D6FE01&0&0001    This device is disabled.

Please physically remove the devices above and then uninstall the software for them.
If unable to physically remove them, disable them in the BIOS/UEFI

If you don't wish to physically remove them, then please:
- re-enable the devices

- download and update with a fresh copy of the latest, W10 compatible drivers for that device

- feel free to disable them again AFTER we have finished troubleshooting.

Many Live Kernel Events in the WER section of the MSINFO32 report.

Often these are a symptom of a hardware problem.
Please run these free hardware diagnostics and let us know the results.

We'll move on from there.

MSI Afterburner (along with EVGA Precision and Riva Tuner) are known to cause BSOD's in some Windows systems (it's driver is usually RTCore64.sys).  Please un-install them immediately!

If you're overclocking, please stop the overclock while we're troubleshooting.  Feel free to resume the overclock once the system has been stabilized.

Edited by usasma, 18 August 2017 - 04:50 PM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 daty37

daty37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:37 AM

I have reinstalled AMD drivers with DDU, updated my BIOS to the most recent version, as well as chipset drivers and intel programs.

I re-enabled and tried to update the devices you mentioned - I disabled those earlier when trying to find the cause of my problem.

I've only just finished all of the steps so I haven't had time to see if we have solved any problems.

Please run these free hardware diagnostics and let us know the results.

We'll move on from there.

What hardware diagnostics are you referring to?

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:52 AM

Ah crud!!!!  There's a glitch when I do certain things after typing out a link (I believe it's a space and a ")") that causes the link to vanish.

And sometimes it's simply that I get ahead of myself while typing and forget to put the link in.
I apologize for that.  The link is:  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

#8 daty37

daty37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:41 PM

I completed the requested memory and harddrive diagnostics with flying colours, not an error in sight. Drive diagnostics for the SSD also read OK and error-free. 

I also went ahead and ran both Furmark and Intel Burn Tests for extended periods of time without any problems.|

In the last couple days, my PC has frozen a handful of times, twice after exiting a game application, thrice after closing chrome tabs, and once while idly sitting on the desktop. I did not run into freezing during any of my diagnostic testing.

I have also discovered the warranty on my XFX R9 380 card expires in November, so if we do decide that the card is the problem (or maybe not) I will promptly send it in.

I just realized you probably want me to do one or two of those antivirus scans, so I'll do that now.

Edited by daty37, 21 August 2017 - 10:45 PM.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:28 PM

The first thing would be to see what the XFX people require for sending the card in.  Each manufacturer has different requirements before they'll issue and RMA, and even more before they'll send out a new card.

I would like to know if you did the Other Video tests - particularly the Video Memory Test.

Unfortunately, the next step in the process here is rather drastic.
I'm asking that you backup your stuff and then perform a clean install of Windows:

- Windows is installed to a freshly partitioned hard drive with legitimate installation media (W10:  https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 ).
- The installation media is only a copy of Windows, not the OEM recovery disks that you can make on some systems.
- Windows is fully updated after it's installed.  That's ALL updates - none excepted.
- NO 3rd party software is installed.
- There are no errors in Device Manager (if you find any, post back for suggestions).

This will wipe everything off of the computer, so it's advisable to backup your stuff first.
Also, it will wipe out all the special software that the OEM added to the system, so if you rely on any of that - let us know what it is so we can figure out a way to save/download it (the easiest way is to create/obtain the OEM;s recovery media)

The point of doing this is to:
- rule out Windows as a problem (if the problem continues, it's not a Windows problem as you completely replaced Windows
- rule out 3rd party software (if the problem continues, it's not a 3rd party software problem as you didn't install any 3rd party software)
- so, if the problem continues, it must be a hardware problem.

OTOH, if the problem stops, then it was either a Windows or 3rd party software problem.  If the problem doesn't come back, then you've fixed it.  Then all that remains is setting the computer back up the way that you'd like it and importing your data from the backup you made.

#10 daty37

daty37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 04:22 PM

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to look into the specifics of the warranty further before I make any decisions I suppose.

I ran two of the video memory tests (full tests) multiple times with no errors.

With regards to the clean reinstall, I've done it recently because of the issue so I really wouldn't mind doing it again. Here's the thing - I run my OS and some select programs off of an SSD, and host most of my applications on a 1TB internal hard drive. Should I start off without having the second drive installed for testing purposes? Or should I just cleanly wipe both drives when I reinstall windows? 

Let me know, and thanks again for all your help.

Dan

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 05:48 PM

I would leave everything connected when doing the clean install.

One of the points of doing the clean install is to isolate between hardware and software (so, if you disconnect the hardware problem, you won't know where the problem lies).

Once you figure out between hardware and software, then you can use this procedure if it's hardware:  http://www.carrona.org/strpdown.html

EDIT:  Because you've already wiped and reinstalled the system, hardware is the most likely reason.  I don't know the differences between your wipe and reinstall and the clean install - so that's why I suggest doing the "clean" install.

Edited by usasma, 23 August 2017 - 05:50 PM.

#12 daty37

daty37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:04 AM

So I've started up a ticket with XFX to see what they have to say, frankly I bought the 380 knowing I would want to upgrade in the next few years anyways.

So earlier I mentioned that the PC freezes when I leave it idle -- I actually can't remember the last time I've seen the thing idle for a couple hours without freezing. Well I've dismounted the video card and had my computer idling / using it for streaming for the last ~20 hours and counting without any freezes. I will continue to use my PC without a card for the next little while and continue watching for issues.

I understand that this doesn't necessarily prove anything, but I would expect this further warrants looking into the video card for sure, no?

Anyways, I will likely go ahead with a clean install while I wait to get things figured out with XFX, since I expect things to take at least a week or two on their end.

Thanks so much for all your help John, you've given me some direction with this frustrating and evasive issue.

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 10:42 AM

So the system doesn't freeze when the video card is removed?
Yep, that tends to confirm a video problem IMO.

#14 daty37

daty37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2017 - 11:34 AM

Okay great news, we've gotten somewhere. Yeah after it froze on me twice in half an hour last night while simply browsing the web I got fed up and decided integrated graphics would have to do for a while, heh. Looks like it was a good idea.

#15 daty37

daty37
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2017 - 06:28 PM

Hey John, 

So over the last few days, my system has frozen three times in a similar manner as before. When it freezes, it has done so while my system is idling. The display is actively scrambling pixels though, instead of showing a static frozen image like before, however my system is still completely unresponsive.

The image attached shows what the display looks like. Those pixels are actively moving and flickering while the system sits unresponsive.

I have to say that the frequency of the freezes is far less than it was with the video card connected though. I was convinced the GPU was the problem because I went 24 hours without a lockup at first, and have only experienced one freeze for every 20 or so hours of my PC being online, whereas with the GPU connected it was anywhere between 15 minutes and a few hours between freezes.

Windows Event Logs just shows the usual kernel power with nothing going on before the reboot. I guess I'll go ahead with that clean wipe after all eh?

EDIT: All temp readings are normal before the freezes.

Attached Files

Edited by daty37, 25 August 2017 - 06:44 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users