Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD triggered exclusively by FastStone Image Viewer

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,830 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:23 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 11:42 AM

I have had this problem in the past, and thought it was resolved, but it is recurring.  I get the same BSOD issue, which is always showing up as Page Fault in Non-Paged Area, win32kfull.sys, and I've tried installing/uninstalling (with full system restart in between each) versions 5.9, 6.1, and 6.3 (the latest) and it's consistent.

At first this seemed to be triggered only when I hooked up a camera or smartphone to download photos, but I have since discovered this is not required.  I can be doing random things in the program when, *wham*, BSOD.

The Speccy snapshot for my system is: http://speccy.piriform.com/results/xVeqZ1evglVR4ltghvypGuJ

The system is at "peak heat" right now because I've just come back up from a BSOD (so certain system processes are whizzing along), was running Speccy, and am currently running the SysnativeBSODCollection utility.  There's a lot of processing competition going on right now.  I have never had a BSOD from overheating.

This machine started out life running Windows 8.1 and was upgraded to Windows 10.  It's an HP 15-g035wm laptop and, if I'm recalling correctly, its "born on" date is sometime in 2014.

Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.540

Of course, as I was walking away the SysnativeBSODCollection Utility completed.  I can't attach the file, though, it says it's too large (just a hair over 2.6Mb) so here's the link to same on my Google Drive:  https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B98uELZbPFnONGl0WlltTzNtd2c

Now I'll be gone for at least 30 minutes or longer.

Edited by britechguy, 17 August 2017 - 11:50 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:15 PM

Hi, Brian, :)

No time to go into details, but it's pretty clear a Freedom Scientfic Accessibility Display Driver is the cause:

1: kd> knL
 # Child-SP          RetAddr           Call Site
00 ffffc980`a0ee4618 fffff802`77fc0d8a nt!KeBugCheckEx
01 ffffc980`a0ee4620 fffff802`77eac2d6 nt!MiSystemFault+0x116c5a
02 ffffc980`a0ee46c0 fffff802`77f94d72 nt!MmAccessFault+0xae6
03 ffffc980`a0ee48b0 ffffedaf`3687fead nt!KiPageFault+0x132
04 ffffc980`a0ee4a40 ffffedaf`3691de67 win32kfull!vSolidFillRect1+0x1bd
05 ffffc980`a0ee4a90 ffffedaf`3691dda3 win32kfull!vPaintPathEnum+0x27
06 ffffc980`a0ee4ae0 ffffedaf`3691c447 win32kfull!bFill+0x62f
07 ffffc980`a0ee5140 ffffedaf`3691c310 win32kfull!bEngFastFillEnum+0xf3
08 ffffc980`a0ee5320 ffffedaf`3691c098 win32kfull!bPaintPath+0xdc
09 ffffc980`a0ee5390 ffffedaf`3691a4f3 win32kfull!EngFastFill+0xc4
0a ffffc980`a0ee53f0 ffffedaf`3698ff5c win32kfull!EngFillPath+0x133
0b ffffc980`a0ee5660 ffffedaf`36a6b816 win32kfull!EngStrokePath+0x71a4c
0c ffffc980`a0ee57d0 ffffedaf`374b1ce1 win32kfull!EngStrokeAndFillPath+0x4a6
0d ffffc980`a0ee5ae0 ffffc980`a0ee5ba0 fsvidacc_ffffedaf374a0000+0x11ce1
0e ffffc980`a0ee5ae8 ffffc980`a0ee5bf0 0xffffc980`a0ee5ba0
0f ffffc980`a0ee5af0 ffffc980`a0ee5ba0 0xffffc980`a0ee5bf0
10 ffffc980`a0ee5af8 ffffedaf`3687ffdc 0xffffc980`a0ee5ba0
11 ffffc980`a0ee5b00 ffffedaf`36a5becd win32kfull!ENUMUNDERLAYS::bEnum+0x8c
12 ffffc980`a0ee5c90 ffffedaf`36aa6702 win32kfull!SpStrokeAndFillPath+0x45d
13 ffffc980`a0ee6430 ffffedaf`36a855d1 win32kfull!OffStrokeAndFillPath+0xd2
14 ffffc980`a0ee64c0 ffffedaf`36a69053 win32kfull!MulStrokeAndFillPath+0x271
15 ffffc980`a0ee66e0 ffffedaf`3698ee1f win32kfull!EPATHOBJ::bSimpleStrokeAndFill+0x2eb
16 ffffc980`a0ee67d0 ffffedaf`36a81186 win32kfull!EPATHOBJ::bStrokeAndOrFill+0x73a23
17 ffffc980`a0ee6a10 fffff802`77f96413 win32kfull!NtGdiRoundRect+0x186
18 ffffc980`a0ee6dd0 00000000`73f56fa4 nt!KiSystemServiceCopyEnd+0x13
19 00000000`0009b398 00000000`00000000 0x73f56fa4

The driver dates back from 2014, so it's likely not compatible with your build of Windows 10. Please update or uninstall any software related to it.

If issues persist after doing the above, please ensure that your BIOS and Windows are fully up-to-date (VERY IMPORTANT!), and then run Driver Verifier according to these instructions: carrona.org/verifier.html ,sending us the dumps as instructed.

Good luck!

If I do not reply in three days, please message me.

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#3 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:37 PM

Thanks much. I should have suspected it might be something like this. I haven't had problems with the drivers related to theJAWS screen reader in some time. I know that I have the latest ones that Freedom Scientific ships. Since I don't use JAWS on any regular basis I'll just uninstall.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#4 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 01:44 PM

You're welcome. Let me know how everything goes. :)

BC BSOD Posting Instructions | Carrona BSOD Index | Driver Reference Table (DRT)

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:31 PM

Uninstalling JAWS 18 and all the associated bits that install with it fixed things.

I'm actually surprised this happened as I would not have thought any of those drivers would come into play until or unless JAWS was running, and I haven't fired it up for several months now.

Your assistance is most appreciated.

~ Lauren Bacall

#6 bwv848

bwv848

Bleepin' Owl

• 2,953 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:54 PM

You're welcome.

Actually it isn't that surprising. :) A JAWS process (c:\program files\freedom scientific\jaws\18.0\fsatproxy.exe) was running when you ran the Sysnative File Collection App, so it must have been running during the BSODs. Plus a JAWS driver (c:\windows\system32\drivers\fsvidacc.sys) starts at boot by default and is always present.

Regards,
bwv848

Edited by bwv848, 17 August 2017 - 05:55 PM.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:54 AM

AMD A8-6410: 
68 °C

Keep an eye on your temps also.
Good luck!

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 10:43 AM

John,

Since the A8-6410 maximum operating temperature (not critical temp) is 90° C (see here) I have never been concerned that my "at complete rest" temperatures are in the 50s at lowest and the "heavy load" temps max out around 70° C or so.

I try to encourage everyone who is getting their panties in a knot about processor temperatures to go to their processor manufacturer's website, or cpu-world.com, and look up the specs for their CPU/APU.

Processors these days routinely run warmer (I refuse to use "hotter" as that implies a problem) than they once did as more and more gets packed into less and less space and are designed to handle it.  A lot of the temperature sensing programs such as Speccy do not maintain their databases very well and are giving spurious caution or "you're burning up" warnings when that's entirely untrue for a specific processor.

There would be so much less stress about operating temperatures if people would just check out what the maximum operating temperature for their processor actually is.   With a under stress peak temperature a full 20° C below normal max, and you know that Tcritical is well above the max normal of 90° C, I've got nothing to worry about.

~ Lauren Bacall

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:38 AM

My observation of your system was a single set of temps in the Speccy report - not a detailed analysis.

And, I only cautioned about the temp, and made no assumptions about other temps (under load or not).

I am familiar with the higher heat tolerance of today's processors, yet I will continue to caution about temps because it's about more than just the heat of one individual part.

In general, the heat generated by a part (such as the CPU) is not confined just to that part.  Rather, the heat will spread to other components in varying degrees based on the cooling system, the materials of the parts, and the airflow.  Many years ago I demonstrated that air cooling the back of a motherboard can reduce the system temp by 3 - 5ºC (AMD Thunderbird with the pencil overclock).  And, in addition to that, it's generally accepted that warmer temps lead to lesser hardware life expectancy.

And, quite frankly, I rarely worry about the actual temps on CPU's - as most will auto-shutdown well before they become damaged.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 11:45 AM

John,

Let me make clear that my response was not intended for you, but for the wider reading audience.

I have seen an untold amount of panic on BC with regard to "running hot" and in well over 90% of the cases the machines were doing anything but.

I simply want people to know that they should never presume that someone else telling them they're running hot, or even any number of pieces of software telling them they're running hot, substitutes for checking the manufacturer specs.  People just don't do this, and I've seen near nervous breakdowns in a number of threads here because people are reinforcing a mistaken impression that someone is "running hot" when they're absolutely not.

I apologize if my prior response came across as lecturing you, as I know that you know this sort of stuff.  That was truly not my intention.

~ Lauren Bacall

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

Not a problem, I was just explaining my thoughts behind temperature control.
No offense taken, and I hope that there was none given!

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• Topic Starter

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 04:58 PM

John,

Perhaps a tiny bit was given, but I re-read my own offering and thought perhaps a bit was given from myself, too.

Part of my approach to temperatures is also directly related to whether we're talking about a desktop versus a laptop.  Doing the occasional cleaning of a desktop machine is generally a very simple proposition:  pop off the case, vacuum (using the appropriate attachment at the appropriate distance) and/or canned air blast off the dust bunnies, put the case back on.

Laptops are an entirely different proposition.  They run warmer to begin with just due to how closely packed everything is and most now have fan and heat-sink assemblies that are, shall we say, less than simple to access in the first place and way less than simple to remove.  My own laptop is sheer hell to get to both the memory and cooling components, requiring an almost complete teardown.  Until or unless I see temperatures in a laptop that constantly hover toward "maximum normal" at rest I will not even think of doing anything other than vacuuming the air intake and exhaust areas when the computer is turned off.  The potential for damaging something else during a teardown is simply too great unless a laptop is shutting itself down secondary to temperature issues.  If someone is really uncomfortable with a really warm running laptop then I'd suggest an external cooling pad before I'd tear the thing down.

Others, of course, will distinctly differ when it comes to my differing approaches to desktop versus laptop units.  To each his or her own.

~ Lauren Bacall

#13 usasma

usasma

• 25,089 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 10:48 AM

You've treated me well over the years and regret that my crankiness may have caused problems between us.  I am deeply sorry and I apologize for any offense that I may have caused.

I'm comfortable with taking laptops apart now, but recall the first few times that I did it - it was nerve wracking!
And I agree, that there's no need to take one apart simply because the system may be on the warm side.
A long time ago the conventional thought was that laptops ran about 10º C warmer than desktops.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users