Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Budget home network for 5 screens and 6 laptops

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jaffe

Jaffe

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

I'm trying to figure out the best budget way to setup a network for my visual project. I've got 5 42" inch HD screens, 5 mid-market laptops from 2010-2012 with HDMI outputs and a newer Lenovo Thinkpad laptop.

I'd like to be able to play HD video content on each of the screens using the Lenovo laptop as the "controller". Currently I use VLC on each of the laptops to play video, but this means I need to copy all the files to the respective laptop and then control each screen individually from each laptop. 

Is there a way to remotely control the laptops using my Lenovo? Ideally I'd like a "controller screen" on the Lenovo as well as some sort of streaming solution so that I can have all video files stored on the Lenovo laptop only and not having to copy them to the other laptops.

Any input into this question is much appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 17 August 2017 - 11:03 AM.
Moved from Networking to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Jaffe

Jaffe
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 PM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:27 PM

Gonna try Teamviewer...

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,442 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:39 PM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:45 PM

Why do you need to copy the files?  I use my Android tablet and VLC to stream from my Drobos.  Just connect to the share and browse.  You'd have to share the video folder on the Lenovo.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users