Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cursor problem, connected to malware or corrupted drivers possibly

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#31 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 12 October 2017 - 10:13 AM

*I then scanned my external hard drives and did come back with a TROJAN.WIN32, with Kaspersky on my WD 2tb drive, INCLUDING Avast getting 2 files in a torrented game file (see attached screenshots)

I didn't quote the entire post as parts of it are irrelevant.  You post that you are download files via Torrents.  This is one of the quickest ways I know of to get infected.  These are peer to peer files which you have now idea what the files contain much less whether it is a legal copy of a program. 

You have listed two antivirus programs, do you still have both of these installed.  If you do you need to uninstall all but one antivirus.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Using more than one anti-virus program is not advisable. Why? The primary concern with doing so is due to Windows resource management and significant conflicts that can arise especially when they are running in real-time protection mode simultaneously. Even if one of them is disabled for use as a stand-alone on demand scanner, it can affect the other and cause conflicts. Anti-virus software components insert themselves deep into the operating systems core where they install kernel mode drivers that load at boot-up regardless of whether real-time protection is enabled or not. Thus, using multiple anti-virus solutions can result in kernel mode conflicts causing system instability, catastrophic crashes, slow performance and waste vital system resources. When actively running in the background while connected to the Internet, each anti-virus may try to update their definition databases at the same time. As the programs compete for resources required to download the necessary files this often can result in sluggish system performance or unresponsive behavior.

Credit for this information goes to quietman7.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#32 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:00 PM

Hi, not sure about your budget however you have slightly miss matched ram, both are samsung however the 4gb stick has a lower speed then the 8gb. Now whilst the MB should be able to handle this, changes to windows creators update include new ways to handle memory, including memory compression, now this is complicated and our research has indicated that 10 prefers matched ram. I would try with only the 8gb stick OR add an identical 8gb stick as this has the superior speed.

#33 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,254 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2017 - 09:45 AM

jenae pointed out that the smaller module has a slower speed than the 8GB module.  What was not pointed out is that two or more modules with mixed speeds the RAM will underclock to run at the speed of the slowest module.  You would probably enjoy better performance with only the 8GB module installed.

It was also suggested that you add a module that matches the specification on the 8GB module.  You can purchase the same Samsung module from several different vendors, but it is rather expensive... like $100.  The least expensive module I found was at ebay for $79.99.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#34 blinky88

blinky88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 04 November 2017 - 06:39 AM

Hi, not sure about your budget however you have slightly miss matched ram, both are samsung however the 4gb stick has a lower speed then the 8gb. Now whilst the MB should be able to handle this, changes to windows creators update include new ways to handle memory, including memory compression, now this is complicated and our research has indicated that 10 prefers matched ram. I would try with only the 8gb stick OR add an identical 8gb stick as this has the superior speed.

jenae pointed out that the smaller module has a slower speed than the 8GB module.  What was not pointed out is that two or more modules with mixed speeds the RAM will underclock to run at the speed of the slowest module.  You would probably enjoy better performance with only the 8GB module installed.

It was also suggested that you add a module that matches the specification on the 8GB module.  You can purchase the same Samsung module from several different vendors, but it is rather expensive... like $100.  The least expensive module I found was at ebay for $79.99.

Nope, i uninstalled and removed Avast ages ago, and just been using standard Win Defender.

Ooh, how did ya find out its Samsung memory chips? i missed that!  ...i didnt open it up yet, but will borrow a screwdriver and check asap.

So my doubts are confirmed ...oh dear.

Can i ask, why would any manufacturer (Lenovo in this case) put 2 diff sizes of RAM like that, if it only causes underperformance? 

Can i put a diff brand of 8gb ddr4 memory in there? i can try to inquire at the local computer shop here ..but its philippines, so yeh.. im a little worried who to trust hehe. 

cheers guys :)

#35 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,254 posts
  •  

Posted 04 November 2017 - 10:07 AM

In my last post I neglected to explain dual channel operation and its benefits.

Most all new motherboards are capable of running the RAM in dual channel.  Dual channel increases the throughput speed of the RAM to almost twice its normal speed.  This cuts down on the bottle neck which exists between the CPU and the RAM.

In order to run in dual channel properly you need to have a matched pair of RAM modules.  This is why I provided you with a link to purchase a matched module to the one you have installed.

#36 blinky88

blinky88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:18 AM

Finally managed to get to a Lenovo service center and have confirmed ....
The 4GB RAM IS BUILT IN TO THE MOTHERBOARD.
THE 8GB DDR4 SAMSUNG CHIP IS IN THE ONLY 'UPGRADEABLE' SLOT AVAILABLE.

Does this mean I should remove the 8gb and put in a smaller one, 4gb so the 2 are matched and hopefully I get this dual channel bonus?

The engineer then said it's not capable of dual channel...huh?? and generally seemed to not sound too sure as to why Lenovo manufactured it this way... saying I should email Lenovo for support?!
He's suggesting a factory reset then to return and test it. *Urghz*

I'm not sure what to do next exactly, but I have to do some digging and email Lenovo to ask why they wouldmake such a strange somewhat un-upgradable RAM design!

ALSO CAN'T VERIFY IF 4GB IS DDR4 OR ĎDR3.

Cheers

#37 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,254 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 10:44 AM

This Lenovo has one 4GB RAM module soldered into the motherboard.  There is only the one DIMM socket, this is why this computer will only run in single channel.  The other important piece of information is that the motherboard only supports 8GB of RAM.  This means that you can only add a 4GB module suited for this computer.  This also explains why the soldered module wasn't detected with either the Spaccy or CPUID-HWMonitor.

I did a search at Crucial which offered a 4GB module.  Crucial 4GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM CT9245965 | IdeaPad 310-15ABR | Crucial.com

#38 blinky88

blinky88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:22 PM

Thankyou mate. So the performance should, in theory, be better if i remove the 8gb from the dimm slot and put in a matching 4gb ddr4?

this would then give me dual channel and faster memory with higher frequency right? 

can i ask you, why would lenovo manufacture the machine that way? 

it seems like putting a 5th wheel on a car... kinda pointless really!

#39 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,254 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2017 - 01:38 PM

1. Thankyou mate. So the performance should, in theory, be better if i remove the 8gb from the dimm slot and put in a matching 4gb ddr4?

2. this would then give me dual channel and faster memory with higher frequency right? 

3. can i ask you, why would lenovo manufacture the machine that way? 

4. it seems like putting a 5th wheel on a car... kinda pointless really!

1. No, the extra amount of RAM would not be recognized.

2. As I posted earlier, since this motherboard only has the one DIMM slot you can not run dual channel.  The motherboard see only the one DIMM slot, the soldered module basically isn't seen in this configuration.

3. I can only speculate why they did this.

4.  I don't know how to respond to this statement.

#40 blinky88

blinky88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:54 AM

Ok, many thanks for the support once again. I really appreciate your time and patience on the matter.

By running the task manager and Dxdiag, i can see that the 12gb is recognised, but is at a much lower frequency than the 2400 stated on the 8gb ddr4 chip. This suggests the 4gb ddr4 built in chip is running at a lower frequency ...am i right?

Task manager showed it running at only 1010 frequency or so, but this might be the minimum and it could possibly go up to 2400 when needed, but noone, even Lenovo support online or the service center have been able to confirm or deny this.

Either way, i will go ahead with the reset function later, as planned, hopefully after i set up a partition first, and also backup to external beforehand just in case.

Cheers :)

#41 blinky88

blinky88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:59 AM

Oh and also, the Lenovo support online, actually said if i replace the 8gb chip with a 4gb chip, i will indeed get dual channel benefit, but the performance will be barely noticeable/comparable to my current setup (4gb + 8gb single channel), apparently. I suppose it depends if youre only running basic tasks, or if you are trying to use memory dependent tasks, like video and gaming etc. right? 

Maybe i just sound annoying at this stage. ha ;) 

No worries :)

#42 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,254 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:56 AM

I'm reading inconsistencies in the information you are being given and what I've read at Lenovo Websites and what a representative at Crucial RAM had to say.  I've read reports which state that you will not be able to find the specification for the RAM module which is soldered in.  This being the case how are you going to match the new RAM so that it will be compatible enough to run in dual channel.  The Crucial rep. simply said that they guarantee the modules to be compatible with the soldered in module.  What?!?

Then there is information which states that unless the CPU being used with a Intel CPU it can't be run in dual channel. 

Here's my bottom line.  If the computer is working acceptably I would live by the old adage "if it ain't broke don't fix it".  This computer isn't going to be changed enough to make an appreciable difference.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users