Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cursor problem, connected to malware or corrupted drivers possibly

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#16 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:02 PM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:45 AM

Im not sure Speccy is too accurate, as my system, AMD app and CCleaner says i have 8+4gb ram and a few other discrepancies... maybe its not important, but just thought i should add that.
thanks

Speccy has been known to throw the occasional inconsistent temperature figure but I've never seen the results for the RAM to be incorrect. 

Please download and install CPUID HWMonitor.

When CPUID is opens click/tap on the SPD tab.

Just below the tabs on the upper left portion you will see Memory Slot Selection.  This has the capacity to see four DIMM slots and their content.  Press the down arrow to change the DIMM slot.  When it sees a RAM module it will report the make, model, and part number.  You will be able to tell which slot this is installed in by the slot# shown.

Important:  Before you touch any components inside the case you need to discharge any static electricity in you system by touch a grounded metal surface such as the interior of the case.

I don't know how many modules you have installed, I'm guessing two.  If only one of these shows up you need to open the case and physically check to be sure the modules are properly seated.  If one of these modules fails take out the failed module and move the good module into the slot the other (bad module) was in.  If the module works you can rule out the possibility of a bad DIMM slot.  The CPUID HWMonitor will be able to indicate if the good module is working in the other DIMM slot.

Edited by dc3, 31 August 2017 - 09:48 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#17 blinky88

blinky88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:02 AM

Posted 01 September 2017 - 12:39 PM

ok il get on top of that... but here is a simple ccleaner screenshot

Attached Files

#18 blinky88

blinky88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:34 AM

Apologies for the delay. The wifi stopped working for a while where i stay so im in a cafe right now :)

attached the log of the hwpro as very long to paste here, ha.

cheers

and screenshot as good summary

Attached Files

Edited by blinky88, 06 September 2017 - 07:34 AM.

#19 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 September 2017 - 09:32 AM

Unless you provide the requested information I will not be able to help you.  I specifically requested that you download and install CPUID-HWMonitor, click on the SPD tab and report the RAM modules reported there.  This is not what you posted.  The image below is of the SPD report on the RAM installed on another computer.

Attached Files

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#20 blinky88

blinky88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:57 AM

I cant see any SPD tab in the app you told me to use above. 

your screenshot is of a completely different app called CPU-Z.

Am i overlooking something? ...sorry i dont know what else to do :(

#21 QQQQ

QQQQ

• Members
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 PM

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:48 PM

https://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html

I think cd3 meant to post this link to cpuid instead on hw monitor.

#22 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,317 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2017 - 03:04 PM

@QQQQ

Thank you for providing the correct link to the site which was needed.  I upgraded some links recently and must have copied the wrong link. :thumbup2:

#23 blinky88

blinky88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 02:49 AM

Oh wow, yes it says theres no RAM in slot 2! and only 8gb RAM in slot 1... if im reading it correctly! It does however say in the memory tab under general, i have 11664MB. 

Hmm but why would other applications say i have the 8+4 set up of RAM? (and when i bought this, of course i was promised 12gb ram!)

Not sure if im angry or confused with the shop i bought this from (John Lewis), ha!

*screenshots and log attached.

On another note, should i consider 'validating my machine' with this app? 

cheers again for your patience :)

Attached Files

#24 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,317 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2017 - 08:47 AM

@blinky88

After looking up your Lenovo specifications it appears that there is only one slot for RAM. 

The RAM figure you see under the Memory tab is 11664MB, this means that there is 11.664GB, ~12GB which is the maximum amount of RAM that cam be supported in this computer.  This must be showing the maximum amount of RAM the computer will support, the SPD shows that that one module is a 8GB module.  I Googled the part number and found that it is indeed a 8GB module.

#25 xForesighted

xForesighted

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 AM

Posted 15 September 2017 - 02:46 AM

Have you tried going to Device Manager>Mice and Other Pointing Devices and update those drives?

If you suspect that your computer has malware then go to Add or Remove Programs then check if there are any programs that you did not intend to install (some malware are installed with other programs so be careful). What was the last thing you installed/downloaded before your computer first started to get symptoms? See if uninstalling that changes anything.

Good Luck!

P.S you can change your cursors in Mouse Properties.

Edited by xForesighted, 15 September 2017 - 02:47 AM.

#26 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,317 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2017 - 09:26 AM

Have you tried going to Device Manager>Mice and Other Pointing Devices and update those drives?

If you suspect that your computer has malware then go to Add or Remove Programs then check if there are any programs that you did not intend to install (some malware are installed with other programs so be careful). What was the last thing you installed/downloaded before your computer first started to get symptoms? See if uninstalling that changes anything.

Good Luck!

P.S you can change your cursors in Mouse Properties.

Hello xForesighted and welcome to Bleeping Computer. :thumbup2:

The first post in this topic the OP states that they had a topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum.  This forum is manned by members of our Malware Removal Team members who are highly trained in the detection and remove of malware.  It was determined that the OP's computer didn't have any malware.

The Op also posted that they had uninstalled the drivers in the Device Manager and restarted the computer in order to have new drivers installed.

#27 blinky88

blinky88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 10:59 AM

Cheers again dc3... 

So where is the other 4gb ram coming from? forgive me, i have holes in my IT knowledge, ha! :) 

And does the results help with anything you were suggesting beforehand? 

Hi XForesighted...

Yes i tried the general antimalware/spyware methods... then moved on to more advanced new ways to check my system, but seemed to not find any malware (although i did find viruses and removed them accordingly). 

cursor changed again yesteday after using machine for hours... its still odd and when i click in browser its definitely affected by something (doesnt click accurately). it might be related to my resolution (pixelating the mouse) but i doubt it, as that would affect the whole screen i think... i dont know.

i guess i only have 2 options left:

1. Use the machine for hours at a time until it comes back and restart each time. ...or...

2. Windows reset or fresh install (last resort of course...and not even confident to do this honestly). 

#28 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Tree Hugger

• Members
  • 29,317 posts
  •  

Posted 18 September 2017 - 11:20 AM

The capacity of RAM that the motherboard will support is 12GB.  The module you have installed is 8GB.

I believe you would benefit by doing a Refresh.  This will basically reinstall the operating system, you will have the option to keep your personal files.  The downside is that this will uninstall all of your third party programs you installed.

A Windows 10 Reset will reinstall the operating system.  You have the option to keep your personal files or remove them.  Any third party programs that you installed will be uninstalled during this process.

1. Press the Windows key windows-key.png and the I key to open Settings.

2. Click/tap on Update & Security, then Recovery, then Get Started.

3. You will now have the option to Keep my files or Remove everything.  Click/tap on the option you want.

4. You will now receive the message Getting things ready, Windows will list the programs which you will need to reinstall.  You may find it beneficial to copy these programs for a reference later.  When the list of programs is shown click/tap on Next.

5. You will now receive the message Ready to reset this PC, select Reset.

The installation will continue without any need to make any other selections.

#29 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:02 AM

Posted 19 September 2017 - 06:29 PM

Hi, have you tried another mouse? I didn't see this mentioned when I read through your thread. Windows WMI (Windows management Instrumentation) is up to date with changes implemented in the win 10 registry so gives a more accurate reading.

Go to search and type:- command prompt, right click on the returned command prompt and select "run as administrator" an elevated command prompt will open, copy all text below and paste anywhere into the cmd prompt window.

wmic memorychip get BankLabel, Capacity, Caption, CreationClassName, DataWidth, Description, Devicelocator, FormFactor, HotSwappable, InstallDate, InterleaveDataDepth, InterleavePosition, Manufacturer, MemoryType, Model, Name, OtherIdentifyingInfo, PartNumber, PositionInRow, PoweredOn, Removable, Replaceable, SerialNumber, SKU, Speed, Status, Tag, TotalWidth, TypeDetail, Version /Format:list > 0 & notepad 0

Press enter, notepad will open, this shows what windows see's as your installed RAM.

Now it is possible that an errant filter is at play here, to discover open a cmd prompt as admin (as shown) and copy all text below & paste into cmd prompt window:-

reg query "HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}" /s > 0 & notepad 0

Press enter, this is perfectly safe as it only reads the registry data that is already there.

You will have two notepads with data, please copy paste the contents here.

#30 blinky88

blinky88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:55 PM

Wow, its been nearly a month. Im so sorry guys, i ran out of energy//patience at the time... i know, it's not great when i know how much you guys are trying to help me! 

SInce then, whether relevant or not, my Steam account got hacked! I regained access after contacting Steam within a few days but the damage was done, my friendslist wiped and whatever else im still checking... i havent used it much this year, but wanted to test the graphics on a few games to see how responsive the system was.

My main email account password has always been the most secure than any other account, so no idea how the steam acc got hacked. Nothing suspicious in my emails or activity ...online banking and paypal ok too. 

I think i figured out the desktop problem... its relating to the resolution i believe and if you scale/zoom the apps and folders/text. its seemed to have a strange effect on the folder order and rearranging etc. 

I'll go for the RESET option... as i'm still concerned my system is compromised or was beforehand at least, , **but just not quite yet, as i have to write some documents up over the next week, so bare with me,,and may be some time before i get back on here. 

Hmm and just a minor thing.... How do you get Windows Defender box to pop up in Win10?? ...it seems to only appear when it needs an update. It seems to only open in the 'windows themed' style otherwise, and im not sure if its quite the same.

screenshot attached.

Cheers muchos :)

the 2 requested notepad files pasted below:

WMI:

BankLabel=CHANNEL B
Capacity=8589934592
Caption=Physical Memory
CreationClassName=Win32_PhysicalMemory
DataWidth=64
Description=Physical Memory
DeviceLocator=DIMM 0
FormFactor=12
HotSwappable=
InstallDate=
InterleaveDataDepth=
InterleavePosition=
Manufacturer=Samsung
MemoryType=0
Model=
Name=Physical Memory
OtherIdentifyingInfo=
PartNumber=M471A1K43BB1-CRC    
PositionInRow=
PoweredOn=
Removable=
Replaceable=
SerialNumber=33DD8A07
SKU=
Speed=1200
Status=
Tag=Physical Memory 0
TotalWidth=64
TypeDetail=16512
Version=

BankLabel=CHANNEL B
Capacity=4294967296
Caption=Physical Memory
CreationClassName=Win32_PhysicalMemory
DataWidth=64
Description=Physical Memory
DeviceLocator=DIMM 1
FormFactor=12
HotSwappable=
InstallDate=
InterleaveDataDepth=
InterleavePosition=
Manufacturer=Samsung
MemoryType=0
Model=
Name=Physical Memory
OtherIdentifyingInfo=
PartNumber=M471A5244BB0-CPB    
PositionInRow=
PoweredOn=
Removable=
Replaceable=
SerialNumber=00000000
SKU=
Speed=1067
Status=
Tag=Physical Memory 1
TotalWidth=64
TypeDetail=16512
Version=

REG QUERY:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
    Class    REG_SZ    Mouse
    ClassDesc    REG_SZ    @%SystemRoot%\System32\SysClass.Dll,-3004
    UpperFilters    REG_MULTI_SZ    mouclass
    IconPath    REG_MULTI_SZ    %SystemRoot%\System32\setupapi.dll,-2
    Default Service    REG_SZ    i8042prt
    NoInstallClass    REG_SZ    1
    LastDeleteDate    REG_BINARY    2AED08816218D301

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000
    DriverDesc    REG_SZ    Synaptics Pointing Device
    ProviderName    REG_SZ    Synaptics
    DriverDateData    REG_BINARY    00005315D6A1D201
    DriverDate    REG_SZ    3-21-2017
    DriverVersion    REG_SZ    19.3.10.31
    InfPath    REG_SZ    oem29.inf
    InfSection    REG_SZ    Lenovo_Ideapad_GROUP51_Win10_PS2_Inst
    IncludedInfs    REG_MULTI_SZ    msmouse.inf\0keyboard.inf
    MatchingDeviceId    REG_SZ    acpi\syn2b6a
    LocationInformationOverride    REG_SZ    plugged into PS/2 mouse port
    CoInstallers32    REG_MULTI_SZ    SynTPCo54-05.dll,PS2DeviceInstall\0WdfCoInstaller01011.dll,WdfCoInstaller

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000\System

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000\System\CurrentControlSet

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000\System\CurrentControlSet\Services

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0000\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\SynTP

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0001
    DriverDesc    REG_SZ    HID-compliant mouse
    ProviderName    REG_SZ    Microsoft
    DriverDateData    REG_BINARY    00808CA3C594C601
    DriverDate    REG_SZ    6-21-2006
    DriverVersion    REG_SZ    10.0.15063.0
    InfPath    REG_SZ    msmouse.inf
    InfSection    REG_SZ    HID_Mouse_Inst.NT
    MatchingDeviceId    REG_SZ    HID_DEVICE_SYSTEM_MOUSE

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0002

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\0003

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4d36e96f-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}\Properties

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users