Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cleaning up laptop after Win 10 upgrade

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 duffsparky

duffsparky

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:46 AM

Hi All

I need some help to clean up an Acer Aspire 5920 laptop that has been upgraded to Win 10 Pro from Vista SP2 via Win 7(not sure which version).

The hard drive is partitioned into C:(ACER) and D:(Data). The root of C: drive appears to have a lot of files and folders left over from the previous installations that I would like to get rid of. In particular the ComboFix entry, which appears to duplicate everything under the 'This PC' entry and causes any file/folder search to list its findings twice, once under 'This PC' and once under 'ComboFix'. ComboFix was installed under guidance from Bleeping Computer when the Vista install went wrong sometime ago and by mistake not uninstalled.

I tried to contact ComboFix via their ‘Contact us’ email but it was returned as undeliverable 3 times and I am loathed to simply delete the ComboFix entry without guidance.

I have attached 3 Print Screens pictures to assist. The folders starting with GWAP-under the C: drive are ones that I have identified as possibly being unwanted.

There is no intension of going back to Vista or Win 7, so presumably the C:\Windows.old and C:\Windows.old.000 folders can be deleted once I have moved everything that is wanted.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Attached File  1-Print screen top.jpg   85.07KB   0 downloadsAttached File  2-Print screen middle.jpg   79.38KB   0 downloadsAttached File  3-Print screen bottom.jpg   66.52KB   0 downloads

Edited by duffsparky, 17 August 2017 - 07:49 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:56 AM

1) Create a disc image of c: drive (just in case)

2) Run Disk Cleanup:

Check All Boxes and click on OK

Click on "Clean Up Systems Files"

Check All Boxes and click on OK

This should delete all upgrade and prior installation files

3) As for Combofix, open Programs & Features and see if there is an entry for Combofix. If there is, uninstall it. Afterward you can delete the folder. If there is no entry for combofix, you can delete the folder.

Edited by Allan, 17 August 2017 - 07:57 AM.

#3 duffsparky

duffsparky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 267 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:11 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 08:25 AM

Hi Allan,

Thanks for the reply.

By "Create a disc image of c: drive" do you mean use the Win 10 ' System Image Backup' to create the image on the D: drive? If so I'll need to clean up the D: drive first as there is insufficient space, possibly due to many duplicate files or shell out for a back device. 

If I create the image back up on the D: drive should I also create a system repair disk?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:11 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:04 AM

I suggest you use a 3rd party imaging product (and use it on a regular basis). Images should be saved to off-disc media (ideally an external hard drive, but cd's or dvd's will do in a pinch). NEVER save the image to the same hard drive you are imaging (meaning no, do not save it to D Drive). The best imaging software is Acronis True Image, but it isn't free. The best free option is Macrium Reflect (https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree). Both are excellent choices.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users