Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 extremely slow

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Charlenekc1

Charlenekc1

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:16 AM

Hi there,

I have a laptop running windows 10 home and it is extremely slow in all programs (even windows explorer). Your assistance is really appreciated. I have left system information below.

OS version: Windows 10 Home single language

Processor:  Intel® Celeron® CPU  N3050  @ 1.60GHz  1.60 GHz

RAM: 2.00 GB (1.85 GB usable)

System type: 64-bit OS  x64-based processor

Activation status: Windows activated

Computer make: HP

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated 

Note: I have run a few generic things that I saw on other posts to no effect. (  including: Disk clean up, Eset and some fs...)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:22 AM

Just a real quick and casual observation, 2 gb of RAM might not be enough for Windows 10. The speed that you are seeing might be caused by not having enough RAM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Charlenekc1

Charlenekc1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:59 PM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 05:52 AM

Thanks, I am sure that plays a part.. however, the laptop came with Windows 10.  Unfortunately it has been getting slower and slower and now keeps saying 'not responding' which it never did.  

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

The best way to speed up your computer is, in order of magnitude:

1.Buy a brand-new computer.

2.Max out your current computer's RAM and switch from a classic hard drive to an SSD, and install Linux.

3.Do just one of the things from point 2., while keeping in mind that installing Linux would be free - however, it has a relatively steep learning curve as a price to pay.

4.Do the following with your current computer in order to speed it up pretty much as well as one could be able to:

On your keyboard press the Windows key + R simultaneously. Then, type Cleanmgr. Then, press Enter. Then, press OK. Then, wait for the clean-up to finish. Then, restart your computer. Then, delete all the unnecessary programs and files that you don't need any longer and just clean your PC's software in general. Then, download, install and run Malwarebytes. Then, uninstall Malwarebytes. Then, download, install and run Avast. Then, delete Avast. Then, download, install and run AdwCleaner. Then, uninstall AdwCleaner. Then, go to My Computer. Then, go to C: drive. Then, go to Windows folder. Then, go to Prefetch folder. Then, delete everything in that folder. Then, empty your Recycle Bin. Then, download, install and run CCleaner. Then, uninstall CCleaner. Then, restart your computer. Then, on your keyboard press the Windows key + R simultaneously. Then, type in Msconfig. Then, press Enter. Then, click on Services. Then, tick on the bottom Hide all Microsoft services, so that it has a tick in the box. Then, click on Disable all. Then, click on Startup (on the right to Services). Then, disable all. Then, click on Apply. Then, restart your computer. Then, open up your computer's case if its out of warranty and is not a laptop and give it a good clean-up with the vacuum cleaner (carefully), a dry towel, some compressed air for the hard-to-reach spots, and maybe even changing the thermal paste on the CPU if that hadn't been done in years and you know how to do it. Then, check if all the parts and connections in your computer are properly put in place. Then, start your computer. Then, follow the steps here - Do Not update your drivers with the software; only Methods 1 to 7. Then, once again on your keyboard press the Windows key + R simultaneously. Then, type Cleanmgr. Then, press Enter. Then, press OK. Then, wait for the clean-up to finish. Then, restart your computer. That's it!

P.S. In Msconfig you can keep the ticks in the boxes next to the programs that you want to start up when you boot your computer, such as your antivirus, for example. Good luck!

:)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 18 August 2017 - 08:13 AM.

#5 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:15 AM

1) Has your system always run slowly or is this a recent occurrence? If the latter, What is new or different since the last time everything worked properly (ie, new hw, new sw, virus, error, etc)?

2) I disagree with pretty much everything in the post immediately above this one and suggest you do not follow the advice it contains.

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

I disagree with pretty much everything in the post immediately above this one and suggest you do not follow the advice it contains.

But why?:lmao:

uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christia

#7 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 08:32 AM

Sorry, but all of the advice in your post is poor. I won't engage in a discussion in this thread because it will detract from efforts to assist the OP, but feel free to contact me offline and I'll be happy to discuss further. Meanwhile, I strongly suggest you stop offering ANY of that advice to anyone.

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,535 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:59 AM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:00 AM

The best way to speed up your computer is, in order of magnitude:

1.Buy a brand-new computer.

2.Max out your current computer's RAM and switch from a classic hard drive to an SSD, and install Linux.

3.Do just one of the things from point 2., while keeping in mind that installing Linux would be free - however, it has a relatively steep learning curve as a price to pay.

4.Do the following with your current computer in order to speed it up pretty much as well as one could be able to:

On your keyboard press the Windows key + R simultaneously. Then, type Cleanmgr. Then, press Enter. Then, press OK. Then, wait for the clean-up to finish. Then, restart your computer. Then, delete all the unnecessary programs and files that you don't need any longer and just clean your PC's software in general. Then, download, install and run Malwarebytes. Then, uninstall Malwarebytes. Then, download, install and run Avast. Then, delete Avast. Then, download, install and run AdwCleaner. Then, uninstall AdwCleaner. Then, go to My Computer. Then, go to C: drive. Then, go to Windows folder. Then, go to Prefetch folder. Then, delete everything in that folder. Then, empty your Recycle Bin. Then, download, install and run CCleaner. Then, uninstall CCleaner. Then, restart your computer. Then, on your keyboard press the Windows key + R simultaneously. Then, type in Msconfig. Then, press Enter. Then, click on Services. Then, tick on the bottom Hide all Microsoft services, so that it has a tick in the box. Then, click on Disable all. Then, click on Startup (on the right to Services). Then, disable all. Then, click on Apply. Then, restart your computer. Then, open up your computer's case if its out of warranty and is not a laptop and give it a good clean-up with the vacuum cleaner (carefully), a dry towel, some compressed air for the hard-to-reach spots, and maybe even changing the thermal paste on the CPU if that hadn't been done in years and you know how to do it. Then, check if all the parts and connections in your computer are properly put in place. Then, start your computer. Then, follow the steps here - Do Not update your drivers with the software; only Methods 1 to 7. Then, once again on your keyboard press the Windows key + R simultaneously. Then, type Cleanmgr. Then, press Enter. Then, press OK. Then, wait for the clean-up to finish. Then, restart your computer. That's it!

P.S. In Msconfig you can keep the ticks in the boxes next to the programs that you want to start up when you boot your computer, such as your antivirus, for example. Good luck!

:)

There are a lot of factors for the OP to consider so I advise him not to jump into anything willy-nilly.

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 18 August 2017 - 09:25 AM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

Sorry, but all of the advice in your post is poor. I won't engage in a discussion in this thread because it will detract from efforts to assist the OP, but feel free to contact me offline and I'll be happy to discuss further. Meanwhile, I strongly suggest you stop offering ANY of that advice to anyone.

+1  I agree completely.  Following this advice would be a waste of time.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#10 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:14 AM

All very good advice.

It really isn't ;). I've had an offline conversation with Just_One_Question and explained why.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,832 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:21 AM

All very good advice.

It really isn't ;). I've had an offline conversation with Just_One_Question and explained why.

And I hope he takes the information you've shared to heart.   I have tried on several occasions to gently discourage him from posting this "one size fits all" method which is, in reality, "one size fits none," and involves a lot of pointless activity on the part of those following it.

One does not "throw everything at the problem and see what will stick," metaphorically speaking.  You need to try to narrow a probable root cause, or causes first.

I would also never propose to anyone doing a rapid succession of install/uninstall sequences, particularly for utilities such as CCleaner, Adwcleaner, and Malwarebytes that one could certainly want to run on an ad hoc basis in the future.  I keep CCleaner and Malwarebytes on my systems for precisely that reason.

I can also find no justification whatsoever for installing and uninstalling Avast, or any antivirus program or security suite.  If one has one running on one's system already it's highly unlikely that Avast will find anything that it wouldn't, and if you don't have one running you need to get one installed and keep it there.

This is not a reasoned approach to solving issues, and has the potential to cause others.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#12 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:28 AM

Hey guys, the idea of the install-uninstall thingy was based on the presumption that if there's anything wrong in that regard with OP's computer, such as its antivirus, they could try any of the ones I've listed, since I know they are well-trusted programs and if OP wants, they can keep those apps forever. But anyways, here's a what I told Allan after his explanation: "I see. Well, thank you for clearing it up for me. I guess I will suspend giving that advice (which in itself was a combination of pretty much the top 10 advice I've seen around when it comes to speeding up a computer into a single post, short of upgrading it hardware-wise or straight up re-installing Windows).:) "

#13 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,832 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:35 AM

JOQ:  I want to make clear that no one is impugning your intentions, which were good.

Even individual parts of the advice are excellent for specific circumstances.

But when it comes to computers, the quote I'm currently using as my signature, "Most problems precisely defined are already partially solved," is a paramount and initial part of formulating the correct advice.

Teaching folks how to attempt to go about that "precisely defining" or at least "more precisely defining" process when they encounter computer problems is one of the most valuable lessons any one of us who participate here could impart.  It makes getting rid of whatever the cause is or causes are so much easier and prevents you from adding more.   I have learned from working on both computers and automobiles that one never does any huge number of things at once, then test out how it's working, and the way that advice is written encourages that.  

Edited by britechguy, 18 August 2017 - 09:35 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#14 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,551 posts
  •  

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:40 AM

THIS IS NOT INTENDED AS A SLIGHT TO ANYONE, JUST A GENERAL COMMENT:

One of the "issues" with support sites is that many people who come here looking for help do not have a great deal of experience with computers and they take ALL advice as gospel. They have no way of parsing good input from "less-than-good" input, nor do they know the experience level of those offering advice. In some instances, the result can be implementing changes that can actually be more harmful than helpful. This is why I always suggest that those offering help first make certain they understand the implications of the advice they are offering. We all like to help - that's why we're here. But oftentimes no advice is better than questionable advice :wink:

#15 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,271 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 18 August 2017 - 09:51 AM

The old axiom KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) is very good advice, especially when trying to troubleshoot computer problems.  Troubleshooting of any kind needs to be done methodically.  Your approach is not methodical, it is quite the opposite. 

Edited to correct spelling.

Edited by dc3, 18 August 2017 - 09:52 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users