Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CCleaner free version help

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 John888

John888

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:50 PM

Hi

this is my first time  using CCleaner so i do not know how it works. my hp notebook with windows 10 64 bit home. the last couple of weeks.my hp notebook has been taking a long time to start up.i was told to download and run CCleaner and  i did it found quite a few things.click on  run cleaner and i delete them.but i go back 2 hours later to run CCleaner again and it finds more stuff how is that possible? is there a web site that i can go to that will tell me what to try to speed up  my start up time? i also have to click on my icons 4 time just for them to open up.  thank you for any help on this 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 12:59 AM

If you use the free version, you can use the default settings, but you can also use all the options. It's totally safe.
If your computer is slow, then it is slow and stays slow for ever. Helps only if You buy a new and faster.
If your computer have became slower, the maintenance can help, i.e., cleaning, defragmenting (if equipped with HDD), repairing system files, if damaged, etc.
Generally, it's best if you're doing a new clean installation and reinstalling the programs, then You can get the maximum speed, what is at all possible for current computer configuration.
More about CCleaner. If you are an advanced computer user, use winapp2.ini and change it for you computer needs. This is called as trim.
Some useful links.

Standard Edition

Portable

#3 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:40 PM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:08 AM

with CCleaner, the reason more stuff is found 2 hours later is because more junk has accumulated.

your PC is constantly creating stuff that falls into CC's search criteria.

also, in CC, go to Options < Advanced, and untick the two options to Only delete files.... greater than 24 hours

a warning using enhancements to CC, like winappi2.ini or CCEnhancer.  they are not supported officially, so the usual caveat applies - use at own risk.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 PM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:51 AM

You can use CCleaner Tools to disable programs that you seldom use from starting at boot time. You can use it to disable or delete

Tasks that you don't need performed or may be associated with adware or malware. You can use it to see what programs are installed

and uninstall those that you don't need. Often there are programs on a new computer that are ad supported that you should remove.

Below are instructions I often give to those who would like a second opinion as to the above.

Post the three lists mentioned below using CCleaner.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Startups. On that page you will see a list of Windows Startups and at the top tabs for each browser and Scheduled Tasks.

At the bottom right of that page you will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste the list of Windows Startups and Scheduled Tasks into your next

post. Please do that.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Uninstall. On that page you will see a list of programs installed on your computer and at the bottom right of that page you

will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste that list in your next post. Please do that.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:21 AM

@BC Advisor  I support Your suggestions!

#6 John888

John888
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:34 PM

Hi

thank you everyone for your help on this. i will try all the steps that was giving to me. so even if i am not doing any activity for 2 hours my Hp notebook will generate junk files CCleaner to find? my Hp notebook is not even five months old yet bought it on June 28 2017. if it was you would you get the paid version of CCleaner?  i am using the free version of CCleaner right now. thank you

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,742 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:59 PM

If Ccleaner still has that registry cleaner function...I would advise to not use that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registry_cleaner

Registry Cleaner, Animal - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/526247/tune-up-utilities-2014-problem/?p=3303494

Registry Cleaners, QMan - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/516416/is-this-a-virus-hijack-this-caught-it-3-times-and-i-cannot-remove-i

Louis

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,133 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:34 PM

No reason to get the paid version for now. That may change as CCleaner was bought by Avast last month. The only reasons I say that depends on

whether Avast intends to place ads in the free version or disables one or more of its functions in the free version to encourage purchase. 

I wouldn't accept any updates for CCleaner until more is made clear.

I've seen gigabytes of junk removed from computers when CCleaner is used for the first time. I doubt you are seeing more than a few megabytes in such a short

time of use unless you have a lot of programs and browsers open.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,555 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:40 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:08 PM

Just a footnote.

One of the biggest generators of permanent 'temporary' files is Google Earth. It is a superb, and very useful, utility but does it generate temporary files, probably more by a factor of at least 10 than anything else I use. And some browsers seem capable of gerating temporary files even when you don't use them !  Every time I run CC I see it deleting Internet Explorer files, and I don't use it.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users