Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion dv6-3010 Issues

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:02 PM

Got a new handmedown that I would like to diagnose a little.  I don't have the experience to know what these symptoms mean so hope to get a little advice here.  This is a weak laptop because of the cpu but may be a good donation or to just run Linux on.

The two issues I'm having are:

1. The graphics are shimmering just a little, don't look normal to me.  I don't know if this is a sign of Graphics failing or maybe another component failing, like RAM.  I ran it through all the HP Diagnostics and it passed.  I thought it may be the battery because I've seen problems with graphics when batteries go bad.  So I pulled out the battery and the shimmering continues.

2. The Laptop also shuts down abruptly when the battery gets to low about 1 3/4 hrs.  Then upon restart get the screen Advanced Boot Options screen.  I had the Power settings customized the way I normally do, so changed them back to the Default HP Settings.  This is a Fresh OEM Install from the Recovery Manager/Partition.

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 07:31 AM

#1. Do you have an external monitor to attach and see if the monitor also has the graphic issue.

#2. Probably the battery is going. 

For Windows 7 you can see the amount of battery charge by opening a command prompt and typing

powercfg -energy

There will be a small sub section for the battery.

https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/7638/use-powercfg-in-windows-7-to-evaluate-power-efficiency/

For Windows 8 and above the report is more detailed.

powercfg /batteryreport

https://www.howtogeek.com/217010/how-to-generate-a-battery-health-report-on-windows-8-or-windows-10/

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,327 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:40 AM

1. I will try that John.  I also booted Linux last night and get the same thing.  Luckily it's not unacceptable, and still usable, but am curious if it is failing?

2. Yes, I suspect the battery is going, but it shows charge going up and down.  Have tested it a few times to run with one youtube video for 1 3/4hrs and then quit, completely, and don't Hibernate or Sleep as it's supposed to and is set to do.

I'll try that battery stuff you suggested.  I can see the battery stats in the Taskbar with the Battery Icon.  It runs linux very well, but as usual with some AMD Stuff it has Screen Tearing while scrolling in a Browser.  Runs Windows 7 very slow, especially Startup.  After startup not to bad, with SATAII Capability and a 7200rpm drive it works good enough.  I also reduced the Startups to only Three Items.

Lemon or not? LOL!  Very nice little pc though and in perfect condition other than these things.  Would like to donate it after getting into the best shape I can.

Thanks John!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,327 posts
  •  

Posted 05 September 2017 - 09:27 AM

Thanks for the External Monitor suggestion John, that is what I needed.  What's second nature to you is not for me, I should have thought of that!

After checking with External Monitor I see that this must be a Display problem, just hope it lasts long enough for me to use a while.  To bad, was hoping it was something I could replace a little more easily and cost effective.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,327 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2017 - 09:00 PM

HP Pavilion dv6-3010, I wonder if anyone has any suggestions, or experiences that would tell me if this laptop is ready for the Recycle Bin?

As I said above, the laptop monitor has a shimmering to it, it's definitely not right, but is it bad.  I also tested with an External Monitor, and that worked like it should.  So we can see that there is something wrong with the Monitor itself, but I don't know if it is worth pulling apart and checking for loose wires, or if this is what a dying monitor acts like? 

Any suggestions very welcome.  This laptop will go to charity if I can fix it without buying a new Monitor.  I guess someone could use it with an External Monitor, but don't have this type of request often enough, and don't have space to keep it around.

Thanks, pcpunk

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,327 posts
  •  

Posted 17 December 2017 - 10:16 PM

Just pulled out this laptop again to do an HP Diagnostics HDD Test.  I see that the Shimmering is not present in this Function, does this tell me anything?

I think I will boot Linux from it to try another test, can't believe I did not think about this before, that I remember anyhow?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,162 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:20 AM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 12:59 AM

Probably a driver issue conflict when fully booted , install the latest graphics drivers and then try reverting back others to last one if available - " Roll Back Driver ".

Time consuming but it may help.

Done my nephews DV6 Lappy 2 weeks ago , Full Strip Down / Clean Fans / Re- Paste / Reload Windows 7 / Update everything.......All Good.

Strip and reassemble took 2 hrs , reload and updates took 5 hrs.

A good clean never hurts , if you dont get it going then maybe its time to bow the head and say goodbye......

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,327 posts
  •  

Posted 18 December 2017 - 10:20 AM

Strip and reassemble took 2 hrs , reload and updates took 5 hrs.

Now I don't feel so bad Havachat, because it takes me quite long to do a Teardown also, even longer under my conditions, health, space, dragging tools from car to house lol.

I think I've figured out what it is, quite common as seen on youtube.  The drivers are all OEM on this one, and were reloaded with a fresh OEM Disk install recently so don't think that is it.  These, and maybe others, have issues with the connector from the MB to the Display, cheapos...so they start to degrade and get a bad connection.  This means more work for me and then don't know if I can sell that darn thing.  I really hate to Recycle the darn thing as it is like new other than this problem.  You would think Windows 7 computers would sell, but I've not had good luck.  Sold more Linux machines than any other.

Thanks so much for the reply.  ASAP I will take it apart and see if I can fix it without parts, then order if necessary.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users