Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC only can boot into safe mode

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 HobbesD

HobbesD

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:17 PM

The other day I was using my PC and out of nowhere it crashed to a black screen. Ever since that crash, whenever I turn my PC on I get the standard Dell logo screen, but just when you'd normally expect it to launch into the Windows sign in page, boom, black screen. I've run diagnostics and and the first time I did, it said there were no errors. I ran it a second time immediately after to be safe and got this error:

Error Code 2000-0332

Validation 119517

Video Memory - Video Memory integrity test discrepency

I've tried using Windows 10's repair feature, but it said it's attempt to repair has failed. I've tried rolling my PC back to an earlier date, Windows 10 says it's attempt to do that has failed as well. The only thing I haven't tried is reformatting the PC clean, which I'm a little scared to do given how the other two things I try can't even be completed successfully.

Strangely, the PC does boot into safe mode. I've left it on for hours and transferred files just to see if it would crash, and it hasn't. I know I could call Dell tech support, and may have to in the end, but my experiences with them have been so terrible that I'm hoping I can get some outside answers or suggestions first. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me!

Edited by Orange Blossom, 17 August 2017 - 05:48 AM.
Moved to BSOD forum. ~ OB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:31 AM

since it starts in Safe Mode, there is a chance that some software that only starts in Normal mode may be your problem.

a couple of culprits that come to mind would be your AV software and 3rd party Start Menu programs.

uninstall anything along those lines and cross your fingers.  they can always be reinstalled when the PC does start normally.

while in Safe Mode, start an elevated command prompt and do sfc /scannow and chkdsk c: /f

they will check the system files for corruption and find and disk errors.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#3 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,646 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 06:45 AM

1) If you are going to run checkdisk you should run: chkdsk /r   --  however, I do not see how that would help with this particular problem

2)

Open msconfig and on the General tab choose "selective startup" (uncheck all three items) and reboot. Does the problem still occur? If not, start adding items back to msconfig one or two at a time, rebooting after each change, until the problem reappears and you'll have identified the offending process. This is clearly a time consuming procedure, but it is the best way to determine if some process loading with the system is the cause of your problem.

After you've isolated the cause, do not use msconfig to permanently disable the process. Instead, if it is a service go to START - RUN and type: services.msc (then press enter) and disable the service OR, if it a program, you can download & run a dedicated app such as Autoruns (https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx) to enable, disable, or otherwise manage startup programs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users