Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Connectivity poor on router but fine on other devices and networks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 WatsonSSG

WatsonSSG

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:44 PM

Hi, as of this morning (when BT moved my hub to the living room) my Internet has stopped connecting to the router. The Internet still works fine on my phone and TV and my PC still connects to other networks OK. It is telling me the signal is weak and consistently drops out telling me there's no connection Whatsoever. It is not the distance as my phone gets 3 bars in the same room. I've ran a few Netsh resets on CMD and tried forgetting and remembering the network but both have not worked. Can you help me get my Internet back??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 699 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:47 PM

who/what is BT?  

#3 WatsonSSG

WatsonSSG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:50 PM

Internet provider over here in the UK 😁 😂

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,437 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:27 PM

I have to ask - Why did BT move your router ?  Did they install a new master socket at the same time ?  Normally you site the router as practically close to the master socket as you can.

Is this a laptop or a desktop that you are having connection troubles with ?  The reason I ask is that the change in position of the router could have adversely affected the signal path to its wifi adapter. As an example, the back of my desktop is about three inches away from an external wall which is why I use a dongle stuck to the top front corner of it, our router being almost in the exact centre of our house. If I used a built in card, with the aerials coming out from the back panel the signal would have to find its way through or round a steel cabinet. It would be worth your while checking this possibility.

Any chance you could ask BT to put it back where it was, or do-it-yourself ?

And I am moiving this topic to the Networking section where it belongs.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 WatsonSSG

WatsonSSG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:46 PM

Essentially, we are building a cabin at the end of garden and wanted Internet down there, so instead of the study it is now placed in the living room. The computer is a desktop. We've tried moving it closer but the signal to my computer still seems to be acting strange.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users