Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 updates failed to install.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 greystoke

greystoke

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:32 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:42 PM

Win updates installed yesterday, but this morning 23 updates failed to install. I ran the built in program that solves this problem and it finished telling me they fixed all four problems, still will not work.  Went to microsoft who ran several fixes that did not work.

What do I do now?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:52 PM

What is the Version and Build of Windows 10 that you're running.   If you're still on Version 1607 I have no hesitation to suggest you follow these instructions:

Updating Windows 10 using the Windows 10 ISO file

to update to Version 1703 with the ISO, which will replace a lot of your Windows 10 OS and, in all likelihood, solve the problem.

If it doesn't then I'd suggest using a third-party backup tool such as Macrium Reflect, AOMEI Backupper, or any number of others frequently discussed on the forum regarding backups.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 greystoke

greystoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:05 PM

I am using win 10 pro, ver. 1703, build 15063.502

What can I do to get windows updates?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:38 PM

First try:  

and see if that successfully fixes whatever is preventing Windows Update from Running.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 greystoke

greystoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:42 AM

These did not help.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 10:54 AM

Did either SFC or DISM return any error messages or did they complete successfully?   "These did not work" is not enough information.

What occurs if you open Settings, Update & Security, and hit the "Check for Updates" button?

If that fails to install anything, do you have System Protection turned on?  You can check this by typing "System Restore" in the settings search box and clicking on the "Create a Restore Point" option that comes back.  When the System Properties dialog, System Protection tab, comes up look at whether Protection is shown as "on" for the drive that holds Windows 10.  If it is on then I would try using System Restore to return to a restore point prior to when the updates that "got stuck" were being applied for the first time.  Do not be surprised if certain restore points fail, just keep working backward until you hit one that works (and be certain to check the "Show more restore points" checkbox so you can see the full list of restore points available).

If doing a system restore then allowing the updates to try to apply themselves again, hopefully without whatever "burp" occurred last time, doesn't work, then do you routinely take system image backups as well as backups of your user data?  (The answer to this changes options available).

Edited by britechguy, 17 August 2017 - 10:56 AM.

#7 greystoke

greystoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 08:21 AM

This AM i had KB2267602 to install, I did,but checking history afterwards I saw it was not listed.

#8 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 19 August 2017 - 10:44 AM

I never keep track of the KB numbers on a routine basis.  There was, however, recent discussion of one of them, but I thought it applied to Version 1607, not 1703, where it wiped out update history (possibly including itself).

I'd just keep an eye out to see if you get subsequent updates in the coming days.

#9 greystoke

greystoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:24 AM

So, no one knows how to solve the problem?

Since windows 10 downloaded and replace windows 7 I have received and downloaded a total of 10 updates.  Nothing now in past two weeks.

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 10:03 AM

greystoke,

Have you tried anything I've already recommended?   You have given no indication that you have with sufficient detail to be able to advise further.  If you ran SFC and DISM, what were the actual results as far as the messages at the end?

What error code or codes are you getting on Windows Update when you go to Settings->Update & Security and manually trigger Windows Update with the "Check for Updates" button?  What is the status shown when you go to that pane as far as Windows Updates?  Does it say, "Your device is up to date," or something else.

It is impossible to troubleshoot without the details necessary to do so.  "It doesn't work" is not enough.

By the way, the last updates applied to my system were done on 8/15/2017 and the machine has done daily checks, as usual, since then.  It is not uncommon at all for weeks to go by without updates since the "Patch Tuesday" method of updating is now long gone.

Edited by britechguy, 31 August 2017 - 10:05 AM.

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:32 PM

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:50 AM

So, no one knows how to solve the problem?

Since windows 10 downloaded and replace windows 7 I have received and downloaded a total of 10 updates.  Nothing now in past two weeks.

I get and install approx. 20 updates every week into my Windows 10 system.

I would suggest that you at least try some of the things that were suggested for you to try and report back on the results.

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 31 August 2017 - 11:52 AM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2017 - 11:54 AM

greystoke,

Have you tried anything I've already recommended?   You have given no indication that you have with sufficient detail to be able to advise further.  If you ran SFC and DISM, what were the actual results as far as the messages at the end?

What error code or codes are you getting on Windows Update when you go to Settings->Update & Security and manually trigger Windows Update with the "Check for Updates" button?  What is the status shown when you go to that pane as far as Windows Updates?  Does it say, "Your device is up to date," or something else.

It is impossible to troubleshoot without the details necessary to do so.  "It doesn't work" is not enough.

By the way, the last updates applied to my system were done on 8/15/2017 and the machine has done daily checks, as usual, since then.  It is not uncommon at all for weeks to go by without updates since the "Patch Tuesday" method of updating is now long gone.

Brian, I install at least two security updates everyday when I use my Windows 10 system. Maybe I am misunderstanding you, are you including the definition updates? They usually update morning and afternoon on my system.

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 31 August 2017 - 11:59 AM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#13 greystoke

greystoke
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 107 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 09:55 AM

since microsoft replaced my windows 7 with windows 10 they have updated win 10 a total of 10 updates.

This morning I ran SFC/scannow again, it found nothing wrong.

Win update button says you need updates, I press it then an update appears which then downloads 100%.  Checking history you find nothing there since 8/16/17.

Searching the KB number in the drives shows a list of 10 installed. All old.

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 10:43 AM

since microsoft replaced my windows 7 with windows 10 they have updated win 10 a total of 10 updates.

This morning I ran SFC/scannow again, it found nothing wrong.

Win update button says you need updates, I press it then an update appears which then downloads 100%.  Checking history you find nothing there since 8/16/17.

Searching the KB number in the drives shows a list of 10 installed. All old.

Then everything is good, that is the way it suppose to work.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2017 - 11:28 AM

Rocky,

I do not include the Windows Defender definition updates since these have been taken out of Windows Update as far as I can tell and are now a part of Windows Defender itself, which I strongly prefer.

Windows Defender definition updates do not change either the Windows 10 OS or the Windows Defender software so they are not, in any meaningful sense, a Windows Update.

My last Windows Defender definition update shows yesterday's date.  I am running Win10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1703, Build 15063.540

My last attempted Windows Update install was on 8/15/2017, and my last Windows Update check for updates was today (9/1/2017) at 12:16 AM.

P.S.:  Just checked my partner's machine, running the same version/build, and his last update was on 8/8/2017, and last check for Windows Updates was at 9:31 AM this morning.  I have little doubt that I would find something similar were I to check my Win10 Pro, 32-bit, desktop downstairs as well.

Edited by britechguy, 01 September 2017 - 11:32 AM.
Added P.S. about second machine in household

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users