Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC is idle when should be running a task, but only when not remotely connected.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 notamondayfan

notamondayfan

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:34 PM

Hi guys,

I have bit of a puzzle.

I have a PC and a rendernode (I produce CGI images and animations). The rendernode is used exclusively for rendering the images, and is a very CPU heavy task.

The problem I'm having is that the rendernode appears to not want to do the "rendering" (when the node should compute the images). Instead it hangs on the stages where it pre-loads the files.

This only happens when I'm not watching the node through a remote desktop app (the node doesn't have a monitor). So to me it appears like the node is in a state of semi sleep, it loads the files, but won't fire up the CPU to render the images. As soon as I connect to the node, it starts to render. I know this isn't coincidence, as no matter how long I leave it, then connect, the rendering is at the same place.

The a similar thing happens once the node has computed the files. It should finish rendering, and save the files to a mapped drive, instead it hangs on this phase too.

Both situations are very unusual, and I have contacted the software guys to see what they say.

Anyway, and suggestions or ideas would be very welcome!

Thanks,
Dean

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:42 PM

First question, has this ever worked?

Is the rendering set to run as a System process.  That would be my first guess.  By running as a system process you don't have to be logged into the machine.

#3 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:45 PM

Yes it's worked for years. The software is the industry standard, so nothing unusual at all.

How do I check if it's set to run as a System process? The way the software is run is first the rendering job is submitted to a manager software, which then opens the rendering software. It's not something I manually do.

Thanks,
Dean

#4 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,391 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 01:11 PM

Since it did work previously, have you tried restarting the machine and see if it works as it should?

#5 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:24 PM

restart hasn't had any effect. I may try uninstalling and re-installing the software, however I suspect it may be a network thing. I did a test on an animation (where after each frame the frame is sent as an image to the network drive), and if I watch the rendering, it's fine, however after about 2 mins since disconnecting, the files aren't saved, and the rendering is stuck.

The PC with the mapped drives had a big update earlier this week, and I did have to re-install Hamachi (VPN). Could this update has messed something up?

#6 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 03:33 PM

OK i've uninstalled both the Hamachi, and the rendering software and it's still the same

#7 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:53 PM

OK I'm confident it's not the software, I've rolled back to a previous version, which I know worked, and I'm still having the same issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,
Dean

#8 notamondayfan

notamondayfan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 72 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:11 PM

I think I've sorted it at last!

I can only imagine it was something to do with the Ethernet adaptor. I disabled it, removed it, the re-installed the drivers. Very strange situation, as I could access the node, read and write files, etc, but something was causing it to stall.

I also did various other things such as a complete power down of all the PCs, drives, network, etc. And also uninstalled and re-installed things such as Hamachi, TeamViewer. Any of these could have solved the issue.

Anyway, I think it's solved.....for now :)

Thanks,
Dean

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users