Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Chrome doesn't sync tabs between devices

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Deichkroete

Deichkroete

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:38 AM

I would like to sync my open Chrome tabs between two macs.

Both macs (iMac and Macbook Pro) run Sierra (10.12) and chrome, both are logged in with my Google/Gmail-Account. Unfortunately going to "history > tabs from other devices" only shows "no tabs from other devices".

Logging out and logging in and/or restarting the macs and/or Chrome shows no effect.

So... do you have any idea what to do to get Chrome on the two macs to sync the tabs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:52 AM

First, are you logged in to Chrome itself?

Second, are you saying that if you open a tab in Chrome on one device you want it to open on the other in "close to real time"?  I do not think that is, or has ever been, supported.  You can look in History -> Tabs from other devices to select tabs you'd like to open on your current device, but I know of no way to make two Chrome instances on two separate devices stay in literal synchrony using the sync function.

If you are logged into Chrome browser using the same Google Account on two or more devices you should actually have a display that looks like this:

googlechromesync.jpg 

when you first go to the history menu.   You can see in this screen shot that the tabs I have open on my smart phone in Chrome are at the bottom of the list while the ones I have recently closed on My PC (or some of them, as they won't all fit - it makes no sense to display a list of tabs currently open on the active device) are at the top.

If you are logged in to Chrome under the same Google Account and it's still not working I would double check that your sync settings are what you think they are, as one can choose to turn off tabs, for instance, and they may not be getting synced.

Edited by britechguy, 16 August 2017 - 11:03 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 Deichkroete

Deichkroete
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:00 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:26 AM

Hey britechguy, thanks for the fast reply!

I don't want to sync the two Chrome instances in real time, because I know this is not possible (although that would be a nice feature). I would just like to continue surfing on the second machine after I left the first one.

The problem is, that my sync- and history-settings / menus look like this on both machines (it's in German, but I think you get the important words). So... as far as I can see everything seems to be fine regarding the sync settings, but in the history drop down menu there are no "other devices" at all. 

Maybe it has something to do with the account name of the Macs itself? I transferred the settings and account from the Macbook to the iMac a while ago via the migration assistant. So maybe therefore Google doesn't recognize that these are two different machines? But then... it should still track two different logins from two different machines right? Hmm...  :mellow:

BEsEmSW.jpg

x67ZFWP.jpg

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:52 AM

I get what you're saying, but I still do not have a definitive answer as to whether you are logged in to the Chrome Browser itself on both devices using the same Google Account to log in to each.

That condition must be met in order for sync to work the way it shows on my machine.

One of my standard pieces of advice when weirdness with browsers is going on is to definitely clear browser cache, as cache corruption can cause all sorts of inexplicable errors.  The clearing of browser cache has become my web browser equivalent of "turn the machine off and then back on again" advice because it often solves things you wouldn't think possible.

Also, (and my German is bad - virtually non-existent) I believe that last entry in the sync list is for credit card and payment information you have in Google Wallet.  If that's the case, and you don't actually use Google wallet, you might just want to turn the master "Sync All" setting on to see if that makes a difference since Chrome can't sync something you've never entered in the first place and it appears you want everything else to sync.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users