Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No POST

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 decifer1834

decifer1834

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 09:32 AM

I took my computer apart last night to clean it good, everything went well, and i even did better wire routing than normal. But when I pressed the start button on the computer, there was no post. So I turned the computer off, then tried to take out the CMOS battery and then put it back in after a few seconds. Then I tried it again, it still wasnt working. So then I took the computer out of the case and put it on some cardboard, trying to rule out any shorts. I only had the GPU, RAM, and CPU in. Tried it again, still wouldn't boot. Tried without the GPU, tried without the GPU and one stick of RAM, tried with no RAM, nothing. I jumped the PSU and it was working fine so I can rule out that it is not the PSU. Could it possibly be a dead CMOS battery? I remember having this problem before and using the CMOS battery from a different computer worked, but now I don't have an extra. I'm not sure what else to try.

CPU - AMD FX 6300

CPU Cooler - 212 Evo

Motherboard - MSI MS-7641(FX)

PSU - EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified

RAM - 1x8GB PNY XLR8 - 1x4GB No name brand

GPU - Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Vapor-X Edition

Edited by decifer1834, 16 August 2017 - 09:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:08 AM

The system would still boot even with a dead CMOS battery, it would just be an anomalous boot. Without knowing exactly what you see when you turn on the system, I'm guessing that when you re-routed the wires you disconnected something.

#3 decifer1834

decifer1834
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:11 AM

I tried a little bit ago without the cmos battery and got nothing. Also wouldn't me only having a power button and the cpu and cooler have done something?

#4 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:17 AM

You haven't told us what happens when you press the power button. EXACTLY what happens when you try to boot?

#5 decifer1834

decifer1834
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

When I press the power button the gpu fans and the cpu fans kick on, but I get no display or a post beep.

#6 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:35 AM

Well, I still lean toward a loose or bad connection somewhere - it's too coincidental considering things worked before you opened and cleaned it. Go ahead and try a new battery, they're cheap enough. But a bad battery wouldn't prevent a signal to the display (or at least I've never seen or heard of that happening).

You might want to check the cables to and from the display and the display adapter. Also make sure all cards are properly seated and you didn't accidentally dislodge something when you were cleaning inside the case.

Edited by Allan, 16 August 2017 - 10:36 AM.

#7 decifer1834

decifer1834
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:40 AM

I'll get a new battery and make sure everything is good, then I'll give an update. Thank you.

#8 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

do the fans turn on full speed or just spin for a second.   If they are turn at full speed then it's a thermal problem and your cpu is going into a shutdown mode to protect it.

have you had the heatsink off?   if you did, did you clean off the old thermal paste and install new thermal compound then re-install it.   if you didn't then that's probably your problem.

It could be that the system was jared hard enough that it broke the thermal bond and is causing all this.

If you take the heatsink off i would also remove the cpu from the socket and then re-seat it also.

#9 decifer1834

decifer1834
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:55 PM

I'll try to find my thermal paste and see if it works.

#10 decifer1834

decifer1834
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 02:34 PM

Added new thermal paste and tried to run it with no ram or gpu, got no post. Tried that exact same thing without a cmos battery and got no post.

Edited by decifer1834, 17 August 2017 - 02:35 PM.

#11 Allan

Allan

• BC Advisor
  • 8,582 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:29 PM

If you are certain all the connections are good, there's always a possibility you shorted something when cleaning. Sorry, but your issue is hard to diagnose from a distance. At this point it could be almost anything - but almost certainly connected to when you cleaned it.

#12 decifer1834

decifer1834
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:33 PM

So do you think that the next possible thing that I can do is to get a new motherboard?

#13 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 680 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 PM

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:50 PM

at this point your at either power supply, cpu or motherboard.....

also something to check there is a 4pin connector near the cpu, behind the keyboard/mouse connector, see if it got plugged back in?

#14 decifer1834

decifer1834
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 05:26 PM

I have that plugged in.

#15 decifer1834

decifer1834
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 30 August 2017 - 10:12 AM

Got a new motherboard and it works fine. Thanks for the help guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users