Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gmail - i have a couple imap folders that have just shown up. huh?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bigdan1

bigdan1

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:09 AM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:43 AM

in my Gmail folders I have 2 imap folders that have just shown up for no reason. how do i fix this?

when i try to move something to a new folder the top two options are [imap]/sent and [imap]/trash. Oftentimes I've deleted mail and instead of going to trash it goes to imap trash. 

Can someone explain wtf is going on?

Thanks!
Dan

EDIT 
I just had a thought. I got a new phone a couple weeks ago and this problem started around that time. Could that be related? This is an HTC One M8.

Yesterday I changed my Gmail pw on my desktop. When my phone then asked me to login it asked for username and password, but then below that it said 'Server: imap.gmail.com'. 

Could this be related and does that help with a resolution?

Edited by bigdan1, 16 August 2017 - 08:43 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:59 AM

I presume you're seeing something like this:

gmail_labels.jpg 

Don't ask me how/why Gmail decides to create these labels/folders, as they are never used on any account that I've had them pop-up on.  The menu that you see is brought up when you click on the tiny dropdown button that appears when you hover at the extreme right on the label column.  I simply remove them and never think about them again.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#3 bigdan1

bigdan1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:20 AM

You are correct, that's what I'm seeing.

The thing is, this just happened recently. I didn't see these IMAP things before 2 weeks ago. And it's not simply a matter of hiding them, since some mail ends up there. Granted as far as I know it's just trash, but not sure why it's going to IMAP/Trash as opposed to the normal trashcan.

I just checked after your screenshot and saw I have an option to remove the label. Should I just do so?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,883 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 10:25 AM

Yes, I am suggesting you just remove the label.  Hence the reason I said, "I simply remove them and never think about them again."

Those were not in my accounts from the start, either.  I have three different Gmail accounts and these things "popped in" seemingly at random, though it was probably either the result of my doing something that no one would logically expect to have this effect or Google pushing something out to cohorts of users, and my user cohort for each account was different from the other.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users