Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thinking about upgrading my PC, what is the best choice?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 DaancingBanana

DaancingBanana

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 03:15 PM

Hello. I have a HP Pavilion All-in-One and am thinking about upgrading it. I am currently stuck with freezing Google Chromes, not responding applications, and games with 20 fps on the lowest graphics settings.

Specs (Sorry if I missed some stuff):

Model: HP Pavilion 23-q140t
CPU: Intel Core i3-4160T 3.10 GHz
RAM: 4 GB
GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4400

I was thinking about upgrading the RAM to at least 8GB and the GPU to something at least more decent. But as I did some research, I realized that the GPU was soldered and I couldn't change it out.

Some other random but may be useful information:
I am thinking of maybe getting a few PC games but I usually play on the casual side (thinking about getting Rainibow Six Siege and play it with my friends).
I do not have that much money to spend - around 400 to 500 bucks would be the max.
I am upgrading to just get generally a smooth and not rage-inducing experience with applications and to get at least 30-60 fps on games.

Now here are my questions.
1. Should I upgrade to 8 or 16GB RAM?
2. Is it worth it to get a new motherboard with a better GPU?
3. Is it just downright more worth it to get a new PC with better hardware?
4. Will upgrading my hard drive to much?

Thanks for your help.

Edited by hamluis, 15 August 2017 - 05:22 PM.
Moved from Internal Hardware to Building/Upgrading - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dropbear

dropbear

• Members
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:34 PM

with most All-in-One's, you can literally only upgrade the RAM and hard drive.

the amount of RAM will depend on the motherboard specs.

the HP web site states that model as a capacity for 2 x 8GB DDR3.

also your dual-core, 4th gen i3 processor wouldn't be the best for gaming.

my money would be on getting a new, standard form factor, tower if gaming will be a main use of the PC.

you haver much greater upgrade options that way.

Instead of reading this, why not do a backup of your PC.

You won't regret it.

#3 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,479 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:56 AM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:59 PM

You're not going to see 30 to 60 FPS on that machine unless everything is turned down.

You might be best saving a little bit more and waiting until the new AMD video cards come out and build a new machine.  While $500 might not be enough for a decent build $700 should be more than enough.

If you're keeping this machine a RAM upgrade to 8GB would probably be the best investment.  Going to a Solid State Drive (SSD) would help on initial and level loads, but not much in actual game play.

#4 DaancingBanana

DaancingBanana
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:25 PM

You're not going to see 30 to 60 FPS on that machine unless everything is turned down.

You might be best saving a little bit more and waiting until the new AMD video cards come out and build a new machine.  While $500 might not be enough for a decent build $700 should be more than enough.

If you're keeping this machine a RAM upgrade to 8GB would probably be the best investment.  Going to a Solid State Drive (SSD) would help on initial and level loads, but not much in actual game play.

Thanks I've already posted the same question to other forums and I've decided to get a new pc with better video cards, SSDs, etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users