Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

USB Ports Not Working Correctly!

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Maxey243

Maxey243

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 11:57 AM

Hello and thank you for taking the time to read this post. 

Since I built my computer a few years back I noticed that not all of my USB ports were working in the back of the tower itself. I thought this was strange but thought nothing of it because at first, I could just change them around a bit and it would work (The mouse wouldn't work in the top left port but the keyboard would or one day the mouse will only work in a certain USB port). Every once in a while it would stop for a bit I could just leave them as it was and it could work for a few weeks and I didn't dear touching it. But until recently it has started happening again, now out of 8 USB ports only 2 are working, the mouse in the top left and the keyboard in the top right. I plugged my external HDD into the computer and nothing was happening, this was working last night why has it all of a sudden stopped. I have 2 USB 2.0 slots and when I plugged the external HDD into them it light up as if it was being powered but nothing. 

What could be the cause of this problem because I am really scratching my head now, I've tried updating the drivers and they're all up to date too. 

Thank you. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:08 PM

I would suspect the controller drivers and just uninstall those via Device Manager...they will reinstall automatically on reboot.

See Method 3 at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/817900/usb-port-may-stop-working-after-you-remove-or-insert-a-usb-device .

Note:  You are not interested in any device listed that does not have "controller" as part of the description.  Leave all other items (hubs, etc.) alone.

Louis

#3 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 12:36 PM

I would suspect the controller drivers and just uninstall those via Device Manager...they will reinstall automatically on reboot.

See Method 3 at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/817900/usb-port-may-stop-working-after-you-remove-or-insert-a-usb-device .

Note:  You are not interested in any device listed that does not have "controller" as part of the description.  Leave all other items (hubs, etc.) alone.

Louis

Hello, I tried to do this but it uninstalled my mouse and keyboard before I could uninstall everything. 

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,568 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:12 PM

That's OK...just do a hard reset by pushing the power button on the system...that will force a reboot or turn it off.  If it turns off, then just restart it.  That should give you new USB controller drivers.  See if your USB ports now work properly.

Louis

#5 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 01:36 PM

That's OK...just do a hard reset by pushing the power button on the system...that will force a reboot or turn it off.  If it turns off, then just restart it.  That should give you new USB controller drivers.  See if your USB ports now work properly.

Louis

As I logged on my external HDD was already plugged in and the light came on once again. A little pop up opened and said "Installing Driver Software" it completed and still, nothing has changed unfortunately 

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 04:37 PM

If I had to hazard a guess this would be a hardware issue as you deleted the USB hubs in Device Manager. You can confirm by booting a live linux DVD and attaching a USB device to all your ports. 

A good iso for this is Puppy Tharpup, about 300MB.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

When you attach a USB device a USB icon will appear in the lower left of the desktop. Clicking once on the icon will mount the device and a file manager window will open. 

If you have a UEFI BIOS then there is a UEFI version of Puppy.

#7 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 11:56 AM

If I had to hazard a guess this would be a hardware issue as you deleted the USB hubs in Device Manager. You can confirm by booting a live linux DVD and attaching a USB device to all your ports. 

A good iso for this is Puppy Tharpup, about 300MB.

http://puppylinux.org/main/Download%20Latest%20Release.htm

When you attach a USB device a USB icon will appear in the lower left of the desktop. Clicking once on the icon will mount the device and a file manager window will open. 

If you have a UEFI BIOS then there is a UEFI version of Puppy.

I don't understand, do I need Linux installed to do this or will this install Linux? I'm running Windows 7

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 12:14 PM

Nothing to install. Puppy or any other live linux disk will run from the DVD/CD and RAM. It's a portable OS. All necessary drivers will be loaded into memory. 

For people coming from Windows Mint Cinnamon is a good distro but it's a 1.5GB download. As with Puppy nothing is installed unless you click on the install icon located on the desktop. With Mint you would attach the USB device and then click on the Computer icon. You would see your USB device in the left pane under Devices.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3289

Edited by JohnC_21, 16 August 2017 - 12:18 PM.

#9 HyperHenry

HyperHenry

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 05:47 PM

One other thing that hasn't been mentioned yet is to update your chipset drivers from the motherboard manufacturer's website. This has solved USB issues for me before.

Edited by hamluis, 17 August 2017 - 09:56 AM.
Fixed typo - Hamluis.

#10 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 03:49 PM

Okay so far I have reset the CMOS because I heard that this is too a potential solution but that did nothing the problem still occurred and I also updated the chipset drivers and still too this did nothing unfortunately. I would give the Linux idea a go but I just don't understand it. 

Thank you

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2017 - 04:00 PM

Linux is not that difficult. Burn the iso file of Puppy or Mint Cinnamon. It may be easier if you use Mint Cinnamon. Burn the iso to a DVD by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Once the disk is burnt boot the DVD. Do not press any keys until you are at the desktop of Mint Cinnamon. There will be a couple of points in the boot cycle where it looks for input. Just let it keep booting until you are at the desktop. At the desktop of Mint attach a USB with data. Click Computer in the upper left of the desktop. In the left pane under devices you should see your USB device.

Click on one of the Mirrors on this page.

#12 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 02:52 PM

Linux is not that difficult. Burn the iso file of Puppy or Mint Cinnamon. It may be easier if you use Mint Cinnamon. Burn the iso to a DVD by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image. Once the disk is burnt boot the DVD. Do not press any keys until you are at the desktop of Mint Cinnamon. There will be a couple of points in the boot cycle where it looks for input. Just let it keep booting until you are at the desktop. At the desktop of Mint attach a USB with data. Click Computer in the upper left of the desktop. In the left pane under devices you should see your USB device.

Click on one of the Mirrors on this page.

Okay I will purchase some disks from the shop tomorrow on my way home from work and try to do this. I was wondering if I re-installed my system if that would potentially fix the problem. 

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2017 - 03:31 PM

It's possible, especially if you are able to access your USB devices in Linux. If you have a spare USB flash drive you can use the iso of Puppy or Mint with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Download Rufus to your desktop and run it from there. Leave all boxes as checked. If you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image, click the small icon and browse to the iso of Puppy or Mint. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as the drive will be formatted. It's worth a try even though you cannot access USB devices in Windows. If the USB is able to boot then I would say the problem is Windows.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

If you can access the USB device on Mint then there is a possible solution without doing a full reinstall but we will not know that until your try Linux.

#14 Maxey243

Maxey243
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 75 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 02:28 PM

It's possible, especially if you are able to access your USB devices in Linux. If you have a spare USB flash drive you can use the iso of Puppy or Mint with Rufus to create a bootable USB flash drive. Download Rufus to your desktop and run it from there. Leave all boxes as checked. If you see FreeDos in the dropdown box select iso image, click the small icon and browse to the iso of Puppy or Mint. Press Start. Backup any data on the flash drive as the drive will be formatted. It's worth a try even though you cannot access USB devices in Windows. If the USB is able to boot then I would say the problem is Windows.

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

If you can access the USB device on Mint then there is a possible solution without doing a full reinstall but we will not know that until your try Linux.

Deeply sorry about the delay, we have been insanely busy at work this week hopefully tomorrow I will get a chance to pick up some disks. I would like to add however that as I plug the external HDD into my tower, the computer does make a noise and the light does come on. I don't know if this is of any importance but I thought I would add it just in-case. 

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,282 posts
  •  

Posted 23 August 2017 - 03:23 PM

If it's the noise Windows makes when a USB is attached then it may be a Windows problem. 

There is a utility that will delete all non-present devices on the computer. Download DeviceCleanupCmd v0.6. Unzip the file to a folder on your desktop. In the folder will be an X64 folder. If you OS is 64bit copy this folder to the root of C:\. If you OS is 32bit copy Win32 to the root of C:\

Depending on if you have Windows 7, 8, or 10 do the following. On Windows 10 change from Powershell to Command Prompt. See Option One.

Open an elevated command prompt in Windows 8 and 10 by pressing the Windows key + X. Command Prompt (Admin)

For Windows 7 type CMD in the search box then right click on CMD and select Run As Adminstrator.

Detach all USB devices other than your mouse/keyboard and printer if attached via USB. 

Type the following commands

cd c:\x64
devicecleanupcmd *

This will show of list of all non-present devices that have been deleted. The next time to attach a USB device the driver will be installed again. Sometimes drivers from other devices can conflict and keep a USB device from being detected and mounted. 

You can try this either before or after booting the linux disk but I would try the linux disk first to determine if the USB ports are bad. If linux can detect the USB ports than use device cleanup cmd.

http://www.uwe-sieber.de/misc_tools_e.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users