Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Monitor oddities

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Maelish

Maelish

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:20 AM

Windows 10 does some weird things from time to time but only when using dual monitors.  If I turn off the second monitor, none of this stuff ever happens.

After the screen(s) goes to sleep:

• Occasionally the workstation will play the sounds for a device continuing to connect and disconnect.  Trying to log device changes doesn't help, nothing appears in the log.  Neither usb or hardware change logs show any changes.
  • Web browsers open in the second monitor will be minimized.  They must be opened back up, then moved back over to the second monitor.

This workstation is Windows 10 Pro x64, Build 15063.  Video card is a GeForce GTX 1060, drivers are updated regularly.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dhagerjohns

dhagerjohns

• Members
  • 145 posts
  •  

Posted 15 August 2017 - 09:14 PM

Whenever I had a problem with my Nvidia driver, I would use this display driver uninstaller

http://www.wagnardmobile.com/DDU/download/DDU%20v15.7.5.2.exe
  Then you can restart your computer, and let Windows find a driver.

#3 Maelish

Maelish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2017 - 08:10 AM

Whenever I had a problem with my Nvidia driver, I would use this display driver uninstaller

I don't believe the Nvidia drivers are at fault.  A clean install doesn't help.   

#4 Maelish

Maelish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2017 - 08:06 AM

At this point, I now suspect some kind of voltage issue because the second monitor has to use a HDMI to DVI converter.  It might explain at least part of the problem.  

Now if only I could find a way to actually test for that....

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 788 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 21 August 2017 - 10:09 AM

and have made sure your cables are not bad?  and connected tight?

if so the connections could just be dirty or have some carbon built up in the connectors, in this case you could clean them with some zero residue electronic wash/cleaner or plug/unplug the connector at both ends several time to break down the carbon build up on the connections.   carbon build up will effect resistance of cables and also the voltages passing thru a cable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users